Germany surpasses Japan as third-largest economy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:25:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Germany surpasses Japan as third-largest economy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Germany surpasses Japan as third-largest economy  (Read 1397 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 16, 2024, 05:44:35 AM »

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 06:06:57 AM »

This is mostly a function of the relative monetary cycle of the Fed, BOJ, and ECB.    In real terms, Japan's GDP is clearly ahead of Germany. Of course, India is clearly #3.

You can see this (even though this is 2022 data) in energy usage comparison between Germany and Japan
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 07:15:31 AM »

I'm sorry but besides a large population, what does India do or produce to have the 5th largest economy in the world? Or is it mainly just the large population?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2024, 10:46:11 AM »

Fun fact: Due to super strong Yen, for a few days in July 1995 thr Japan GDP exceeded that of the USA.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2024, 06:53:39 AM »
« Edited: February 17, 2024, 07:09:11 AM by jaichind »

I'm sorry but besides a large population, what does India do or produce to have the 5th largest economy in the world? Or is it mainly just the large population?

Well, India has a very large agricultural sector given the large size of arable land plus its large population to feed.  The mining sector in India is fairly large and is the basis of its steel industry. India is the second largest producer of steel in the world, recently overtaking both Japan and USA.  India's retail sector is fairly large as well given its high population and growing income.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2024, 07:06:23 AM »

Fun fact: Due to super strong Yen, for a few days in July 1995 thr Japan GDP exceeded that of the USA.
I tried to find an internet article, any, talking about this. I did find this (series of things from the Keidenran) but no cigar.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2024, 07:08:32 AM »

I tried to find an internet article, any, talking about this. I did find this (series of things from the Keidenran) but no cigar.

It was only for a few days.  There were some financial articles that talked about this but I cannot find any electronic copies of them.  The average JPY rate in 1995 would still put Japan's nominal GDP behind the USA in 1995.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2024, 07:09:37 AM »

It was only for a few days.  There were some financial articles that talked about this but I cannot find any electronic copies of them.  The average JPY rate in 1995 would still put Japan's nominal GDP behind the USA in 1995.
I wonder what people felt about it at the time.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2024, 07:14:16 AM »

From what I could gather it was viewed as an ironic joke in Japan.  In 1995 the economic situation in Japan was not good from an average person's point of view.   For the Japanese average Joe, the economy has been in decline since 1993 as the busting of the Japanese credit bubble of the late 1980s finally hits the average Joe. 

This is why I posted this "fun fact" to show that nominal GDP based on current exchange rates is a poor way to measure overall economic size.  PPP has problems of its own but it does not have absurd results like July 1995 Japan GDP numbers, even if it is for a few days.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2024, 01:40:20 PM »

More a sign of Japanese decline than German rise, right?
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2024, 03:04:50 PM »

Correct. Both countries are in decline.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2024, 03:32:18 PM »

I think there's a good chance Germany rebounds in the next few years. We're in the midst of a massive transformation towards renewable energies.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2024, 07:16:10 PM »

I think there's a good chance Germany rebounds in the next few years. We're in the midst of a massive transformation towards renewable energies.

What good is renewable energy going to do when both workers and consumers are declining?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2024, 06:27:48 AM »

More fun facts: 

1) Using nominal GDP comparisons at the market exchange rate in 2022 Japan's GDP was greater than Germany's.
2) Germany's 2023 real GDP growth -0.3%
3) Japan's 2023 real GDP growth 1.9%
4)  Using nominal GDP comparisons at the market exchange rate in 2023 Germany's GDP was greater than Japan's.

This bizarre mathematical conclusion is purely a function of currency rates which are mostly driven on which part of the monetary cycle each central bank is at
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2024, 06:30:33 AM »

Il sorpasso, Deutschland edition
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2024, 05:04:32 PM »

From what I could gather it was viewed as an ironic joke in Japan.  In 1995 the economic situation in Japan was not good from an average person's point of view.   For the Japanese average Joe, the economy has been in decline since 1993 as the busting of the Japanese credit bubble of the late 1980s finally hits the average Joe. 

This is why I posted this "fun fact" to show that nominal GDP based on current exchange rates is a poor way to measure overall economic size.  PPP has problems of its own but it does not have absurd results like July 1995 Japan GDP numbers, even if it is for a few days.
Makes sense.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies