For the U.S House which are the non suburban swing districts?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:22:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  For the U.S House which are the non suburban swing districts?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: For the U.S House which are the non suburban swing districts?  (Read 565 times)
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 15, 2024, 12:17:37 AM »

I can think of a couple mostly urban like Omaha and Miami? but other than those, are there any swing rural districts (other than I guess the Maine 2nd district) or exurban districts?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2024, 12:22:30 AM »

CA-13 and CA-22? Although the latter includes a good chunk of Bakersfield.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 12:45:46 AM »

There’s some like MI-07, MI-08, PA-07, PA-08, OH-09, ect, I would consider based around smaller/midsized cities and not really suburban

CO-03 is decently rural.

Seats like WA-03, NM-02, TX-15, TX-28, and CA-03 are hard to classify because they have a lot of things going on at once

US House districts have gotten so large and the country so built up nearly every US house seat is going to have at least some urban or suburban areas; there are very few “truly rural” seats.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 01:14:17 AM »

Georgia 2nd kinda counts

CA-13
CT-02
NC-01
NM-02
WI-03

Not sure what to count the fajita strips as
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2024, 10:23:07 AM »

Would love to see someone graph the correlation between geographic size (square footage/mileage?) of a district and its political competitiveness.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 11:36:45 AM »

Would love to see someone graph the correlation between geographic size (square footage/mileage?) of a district and its political competitiveness.

I might try to make this this weekend if I have the time because I'm curious too.

One thing that is funny and a bit ironic is that Democrats hold the geographically largest congressional district despite the GOP generally being the party of rural areas.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 12:11:40 PM »

I might try to make this this weekend if I have the time because I'm curious too.

One thing that is funny and a bit ironic is that Democrats hold the geographically largest congressional district despite the GOP generally being the party of rural areas.

My initial thought on how to do tie would be PVI/Area which would create an inverses arch that’s higher in the republicans side then democrats, with a low mid point for the competitive districts
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2024, 01:23:59 PM »

Spanberger's district is exurban/rural.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2024, 02:03:07 PM »

Other mostly city districts I thought of:
1.Tucson
2.Virginia Beach
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2024, 02:53:38 PM »

1.Tucson
2.Virginia Beach

Those are both suburban district. AZ-07 is the downtown Tucson district. Also Virginia Beach is one giant suburb and the actual urban areas of Hampton Roads are all in VA-03.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2024, 07:10:14 PM »

1.Tucson
2.Virginia Beach

Those are both suburban district. AZ-07 is the downtown Tucson district. Also Virginia Beach is one giant suburb and the actual urban areas of Hampton Roads are all in VA-03.

Point taken on Tucscon, but Virginia Beach is nearly 500,000 people. Squinting
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2024, 08:38:20 PM »

It's unincorporated as a city, but Hempstead, New York is also really a city swing district.

In really Democratic 'wave' years, I think Oklahoma 5th (Oklahoma City) and Kentucky 6th (Lexington) can be competitive for the Democrats.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2024, 09:12:08 PM »

Fairly trivial question as there are not that many truly suburban seats - I.E. one where a significant proportion of the workforce commutes to a major city in another congressional district, or even one where the district itself is mostly influenced by an out-of-district major city. I feel like "suburban" sometimes is more of a vibe - sometimes a self-reinforcing relevant to this question as a "battleground" between GOP rurals and Democrat cities - that is borne out of medium-density residential areas, but the reality is that most of American non-metropolitan cities just look Like That, maybe with a spruced up "historic" Main Street. But with the more specific definition of suburbs, the only places where the math really works out for that are fairly large metros, and a lot of districts usually have a genuine mix of urban, suburban, and rural areas. 

IF we're limiting to swing districts that lack that sort of suburban area, then there's a more limited number. But off the top of my head a lot of Northeastern swing district fall in this group - ME-02 (mix of rural + small/medium towns), NH-02 (similarly, although there are a few Boston exurbia towns in this district as well as the medium city of Nashua), the present configurations of NY-18 and NY-19 (medium/small towns, college towns, rural areas), and PA-07 and PA-08 (both containing small metros, which does include suburbs, but really are more self-contained within each respective district rather than genuinely suburban).

Similarly, districts where a large proportion of the population resides in smaller cities and towns and Democrats generally hold up better in rural areas than nationally - think WI-03, MN-01 and MN-08, IA-01 and IA-02 - though these areas are the ones most precipitously slipping away from swing status and toward the GOP. The new NC-01 and GA-02 add the wrinkle of racial polarization. MT-02 is also worth considering - a combination of small/medium city and rural areas. Aforementioned CO-03 is a good example too, but interestingly the most "urban" parts of the district, Grand Junction, is also the largest net contributor of votes for the GOP.

Another example that is questionably non-suburban is IL-17; in appearance many of the small- and medium-sized cities in the district (Peoria, Bloomington, the Quad Cities, Rockford) look suburban, but really aren't in any meaningful sense of the word.
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2024, 09:41:02 PM »

1.Tucson
2.Virginia Beach

Virginia Beach is 500,000 people but it's still a suburb. It's almost completely suburban in character. The historic anchor cities of Hamtpon Roads have been Norfolk, Hampton, Portsmouth, etc. Virginia Beach largely developed much later and only has a larger population than those other cities now because of its large land area.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2024, 09:44:06 PM »

1.Tucson
2.Virginia Beach

Virginia Beach is 500,000 people but it's still a suburb. It's almost completely suburban in character. The historic anchor cities of Hamtpon Roads have been Norfolk, Hampton, Portsmouth, etc. Virginia Beach largely developed much later and only has a larger population than those other cities now because of its large land area.

Thanks to both of you for the correction. Smiley
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2024, 10:03:48 PM »

AK-AL.
Rjjr77
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2024, 11:22:47 PM »

There’s some like MI-07, MI-08, PA-07, PA-08, OH-09, ect, I would consider based around smaller/midsized cities and not really suburban

CO-03 is decently rural.

Seats like WA-03, NM-02, TX-15, TX-28, and CA-03 are hard to classify because they have a lot of things going on at once

US House districts have gotten so large and the country so built up nearly every US house seat is going to have at least some urban or suburban areas; there are very few “truly rural” seats.

good point. OH-9 has more midsized urban and rural voters than suburban. Ohio is weird that way
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2024, 08:32:15 AM »

MT-1?
Reactionary Libertarian
ReactionaryLibertarian
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2024, 11:15:32 AM »

NY-11? If you count Staten Island as urban.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies