SB 119-27: Sequoyah Statehood Amendment--Failed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:15:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 119-27: Sequoyah Statehood Amendment--Failed
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 119-27: Sequoyah Statehood Amendment--Failed  (Read 588 times)
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 13, 2024, 06:22:06 PM »
« edited: February 21, 2024, 09:51:00 PM by Vice President Elect Christian Man »

Sequoyah Statehood Amendment

1. Effective July 1, 2024 Anno Domini the new State of Sequoyah is hereby authorized to be created consisting of the territory of the following existing counties of the State of Oklahoma:

Adair, Atoka, Bryan, Carter, Cherokee, Choctaw, Coal, Craig, Creek, Delaware, Garvin, Haskell, Hughes, Johnston, Latimer, Le Flore, Love, Marshall, Mayes, McClain, McCurtain, McIntosh, Murray, Muskogee, Niwata, Okfuskee, Okmulgee, Ottawa, Pontotoc, Pottawatomie, Pushmataha, Rogers, Seminole, Sequoyah, Watie, Wagoner, Washington, and Washington.

2. Until such time as a new State Constitution may be adopted or enacted, the Constitution of Oklahoma, all existing State and local laws, and all Tribal governing documents and laws shall remain in effect, and all office holders shall remain in office for the duration of any existing term. Until a special election may be conducted, the chief executive of the State of Sequoyah shall be the Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation.

3. The title to all property belonging to the State of Oklahoma located within the new State of Sequoyah shall escheat to the State of Sequoyah. The current debt, obligations, and funds of the State of Oklahoma shall be shared with the State of Sequoyah on a per capita basis.

4. For purposes of Art. VII, Sec. 2, Cl. 1 of the Atlasian Constitution, the ratification of the Constitutional Amendment adopted herein by the Southern Region shall be considered to fulfill the requirement that the State of Oklahoma consents to the creation of such new State.

The senator from Oklahoma is now recognized.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 03:47:08 PM »

I'm supportive of this amendment
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 07:44:49 PM »

The amendment is posted in the introduction thread but not here. This is the enacting language to allow for the creation of a new State within Oklahoma to fulfill long ignored promises to indigenous people like myself.
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2024, 09:40:14 PM »

Motioning for a final vote
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2024, 01:43:45 AM »
« Edited: February 17, 2024, 01:53:44 AM by President Pro Tem Punxsutawney Phil »

I'm not entirely sure how I precisely feel about this bill. I quite like it but would like to hear a devils advocate.
As it stands I would currently vote Aye anyway.
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2024, 01:10:11 PM »

I'm not entirely sure how I precisely feel about this bill. I quite like it but would like to hear a devils advocate.
Is this an objection?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2024, 01:28:28 PM »

Is this an objection?
No.
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2024, 09:44:20 PM »

A final vote has been initated.

Aye
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2024, 10:49:23 PM »

Aye
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2024, 11:53:22 PM »

aye
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2024, 02:00:18 AM »

Aye
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2024, 07:08:55 AM »

Aye
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2024, 12:01:25 PM »

Abstain
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2024, 12:09:50 PM »

Abstain, as there’s a small oversight that will need to be rectified. This doesn’t include the sub regional assignment. I’m not sure what that would do with sub regional elections regarding people in this new state.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2024, 12:26:04 PM »

Abstain, as there’s a small oversight that will need to be rectified. This doesn’t include the sub regional assignment. I’m not sure what that would do with sub regional elections regarding people in this new state.

The text of the actual Amendment very clearly assigns the Subregion.

1. Effective July 1, 2024 Anno Domini the new State of Sequoyah is hereby authorized to be created consisting of the territory of the following existing counties of the State of Oklahoma:

Adair, Atoka, Bryan, Carter, Cherokee, Choctaw, Coal, Craig, Creek, Delaware, Garvin, Haskell, Hughes, Johnston, Latimer, Le Flore, Love, Marshall, Mayes, McClain, McCurtain, McIntosh, Murray, Muskogee, Niwata, Okfuskee, Okmulgee, Ottawa, Pontotoc, Pottawatomie, Pushmataha, Rogers, Seminole, Sequoyah, Watie, Wagoner, Washington, and Washington.

2. Until such time as a new State Constitution may be adopted or enacted, the Constitution of Oklahoma, all existing State and local laws, and all Tribal governing documents and laws shall remain in effect, and all office holders shall remain in office for the duration of any existing term. Until a special election may be conducted, the chief executive of the State of Sequoyah shall be the Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation.

3. The title to all property belonging to the State of Oklahoma located within the new State of Sequoyah shall escheat to the State of Sequoyah. The current debt, obligations, and funds of the State of Oklahoma shall be shared with the State of Sequoyah on a per capita basis.

4. For purposes of Art. VII, Sec. 2, Cl. 1 of the Atlasian Constitution, the ratification of the Constitutional Amendment adopted herein by the Southern Region shall be considered to fulfill the requirement that the State of Oklahoma consents to the creation of such new State.

Be It Resolved in the Atlasian Senate Assembled, that upon ratification by 2/3rds of the Regions, the Fifth Constitution of Atlasia shall be amended as follows:

Article II, Section 1, Clause 3 of the Atlasian Constitution shall be amended as follows:

Section 1. The Regions.

3. The southern Region shall consist of the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Puerto Rico Richport, Sequoyah, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.

The Upper Southern Subregion shall consist of the states of Arkansas, Delaware, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Sequoyah, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.

The Deep Southern Subregion shall consist of the states of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Puerto Rico Richport, South Carolina, and Texas

Amendment Explanation

This amendment creates the new State of Sequoyah and corrects a typographical error in the spelling of the name of the State of Richport.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2024, 12:58:39 PM »

Nay since the full text wasn't even posted in the thread prior to the start of the vote. Try again.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2024, 03:11:02 PM »

The text of the actual Amendment very clearly assigns the Subregion.

Be It Resolved in the Atlasian Senate Assembled, that upon ratification by 2/3rds of the Regions, the Fifth Constitution of Atlasia shall be amended as follows:

Article II, Section 1, Clause 3 of the Atlasian Constitution shall be amended as follows:

Section 1. The Regions.

3. The southern Region shall consist of the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Puerto Rico Richport, Sequoyah, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.

The Upper Southern Subregion shall consist of the states of Arkansas, Delaware, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Sequoyah, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.

The Deep Southern Subregion shall consist of the states of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Puerto Rico Richport, South Carolina, and Texas

Amendment Explanation

This amendment creates the new State of Sequoyah and corrects a typographical error in the spelling of the name of the State of Richport.

would've been nice if the whole amendment was posted here.

Changing to Nay, because of the Sequoyah part, but because of the part changing Puerto Rico's name seemingly without care of the history, ethnicity, or wishes of the people there. Remove that and you have my full support for this.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2024, 03:15:53 PM »

Changing the name of Puerto Rico is not something I support. I'll happily introduce a version of this without that change if anyone is so inclined. Nay on this, even if I support the idea behind this bill quite readily and I'm 100% behind it.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2024, 03:28:52 PM »

Switching to Nay
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2024, 03:32:23 PM »

The State formerly known as Puerto Rico was renamed a year ago. The failure to adopt this has no bearing on the legal name; it just means the Constitution will contain a typo. Hilarious to see the white leftists again deprive Indigenous people of self-determination just to keep a typo. Well played.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2024, 03:38:33 PM »

The State formerly known as Puerto Rico was renamed a year ago. The failure to adopt this has no bearing on the legal name; it just means the Constitution will contain a typo. Hilarious to see the white leftists again deprive Indigenous people of self-determination just to keep a typo. Well played.
It was? If so, I'd like to know the totality of circumstances around that.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2024, 04:05:52 PM »

Nay
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2024, 04:09:51 PM »

In which bill did that happen?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2024, 08:14:21 PM »

Passing a version of this that, additionally, brings back Puerto Rico, in the event it does not technically exist presently, will be a priority of my incoming administration, once I've done the first things.
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2024, 09:50:47 PM »

Aye(s) 5: Christian Man, TimTurner, MB, Fhtagn, Reagente
Nay(s) 4: Pyro, WB, LT, Adam Griffin

Because this bill required a 2/3rds majority, this bill fails.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies