Iran is still on only its 2nd Supreme Leader, Khamenei since ‘89. The future?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 02:29:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Iran is still on only its 2nd Supreme Leader, Khamenei since ‘89. The future?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Iran is still on only its 2nd Supreme Leader, Khamenei since ‘89. The future?  (Read 703 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 10, 2024, 11:51:32 AM »

The Islamic Republic of Iran, around for 45 years, has only had two Supreme Leaders. Its charismatic  founder, and the more technocratic and subtle Khamanei for the last 35 years since 1989.

He’s 84 now, so he could still live a while longer, but we are definitely closer to the end of his reign than its beginning.

His election was also interesting, since they had to modify the constitution since Khamenei was not an ayatollah but a former elected president.

The Islamic Republic has a lot of separation of powers, with checks and balances, built into it. But the Supreme Leader is definitely a central figure, even if not the all-powerful dictator figure that the title implies.

Whenever he does pass away, we will probably have the biggest opportunity for a shift in Iran.

How do we think the transition will go?

Is there a short-list of who’s most likely to be elected by the Assembly of Constitutional Experts?

Is it likely to be someone similar in age, a caretaker, or someone more from Generation X/Y, who could connect better to the population since
25% of Iran’s population is under the age of 15.
Only 7% of Iran’s population is over the age of 65.
The median age is 31, with a supermajority of the country younger than 40.

What changes are we likely to expect?
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2024, 12:12:02 PM »

Khamenei wants the current President, Ebrahim Raisi, to succeed him
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2024, 12:16:14 PM »

Interesting. This one has been much more quiet so far. Ahmadinejad was crazy and militant, and Rouhani was much more pro-Western and diplomatic. I haven’t heard anything about Raisi.

I do also wonder if he might change his mind, or if the assembly would definitely feel obliged to go with his choice.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2024, 12:56:30 PM »

Interesting. This one has been much more quiet so far. Ahmadinejad was crazy and militant, and Rouhani was much more pro-Western and diplomatic. I haven’t heard anything about Raisi.

I do also wonder if he might change his mind, or if the assembly would definitely feel obliged to go with his choice.
When running for president, he seemed unprepared for interviews. Felt out of place in front of cameras. His background is more academic and judicial, not political. But he is very conservative and hardliner.

The last election was rigged for him (he lost to Rouhani in 2017) to prepare him to take over Khamenei's spot
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2024, 12:45:00 AM »

Khamenei was President before so he's been a national leader for 42 years.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2024, 08:47:41 AM »

Those beard guys are practically immortal.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2024, 11:31:09 AM »

Hopefully the future is better than the past!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2024, 01:00:32 PM »

While Hannity makes him out to be some Al Baghdadi-like irrational actor, it is worth remembering that this Ayatollah if anything held Ahmadinejad on a tight leash and has intervened politically to keep him out of office. That’s always stuck with me.

Ofc besides his obviously odious anti-Jew rhetoric, I always thought Ahmadinejad (from their perspective) was a strong solid leader. So if the Ayatollah wants him out of power, it must mean he’s relatively pragmatic instead of being some fanatical zealot.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2024, 01:08:14 PM »

While Hannity makes him out to be some Al Baghdadi-like irrational actor, it is worth remembering that this Ayatollah if anything held Ahmadinejad on a tight leash and has intervened politically to keep him out of office. That’s always stuck with me.

Ofc besides his obviously odious anti-Jew rhetoric, I always thought Ahmadinejad (from their perspective) was a strong solid leader. So if the Ayatollah wants him out of power, it must mean he’s relatively pragmatic instead of being some fanatical zealot.

Religion is definitely the main reason for domestic issues but it is still interesting how Iran is now the guarantor of the worlds oldest Christian nation(Armenia)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2024, 05:31:52 PM »

Khamenei has basically thrown any Gorbachevs in prison or house arrest, he’s basically ensured that the Islamic republic will survive unchanged when he’s alive.

TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2024, 07:23:56 PM »

Khamenei has basically thrown any Gorbachevs in prison or house arrest, he’s basically ensured that the Islamic republic will survive unchanged when he’s alive.

The question is what happens if he's still in office when he loses (enough of) his powers. Mugabe seems like the realistic good ending for him, especially if he hasn't a natural successor.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2024, 07:32:11 PM »

The question is what happens if he's still in office when he loses (enough of) his powers. Mugabe seems like the realistic good ending for him, especially if he hasn't a natural successor.
The IRGC is his private army in the worst possible circumstances before getting to that point.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2024, 02:14:51 PM »

I don't think he's an ayatollah, just like how Khamenei isn't/wasn't an ayatollah.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2024, 03:12:40 PM »

Though this was mostly because Ahmadinejad is a populist who often clashed with the clerical establishment on domestic policy. There’s a reason why the clergy and IRGC consider him a part of a “deviant current”.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2024, 01:46:55 PM »

Ahmadinejad was actually much more of a threat to the establishment than Rouhani, who was ultimately very conservative. Firebrand populists are a bigger problem than moderate clerics. He often contradicts state policy, like the fact he supports Ukraine and said "the [Ukrainian] resistance uncovered the Satanic plots of enemies of mankind."
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2024, 02:11:55 PM »

I should be clear though that Ahmadinejad is still unambiguously a disgusting character.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2024, 02:22:23 PM »

Ahmadinejad was actually much more of a threat to the establishment than Rouhani, who was ultimately very conservative. Firebrand populists are a bigger problem than moderate clerics. He often contradicts state policy, like the fact he supports Ukraine and said "the [Ukrainian] resistance uncovered the Satanic plots of enemies of mankind."
What, I love Ahmadinejad now.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2024, 03:08:10 PM »

What, I love Ahmadinejad now.
When I compared the current war with the Iran-Iraq war, I wasn’t kidding. Same dynamics, same rational responses anyone should have.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2024, 04:16:58 PM »

If Ahmadinejad had been President ten years later, you would have had a Trump/Ahmadinejad summit.

Iranian politics is not really being driven by ideology anymore so much as clique-based power struggles, and Khamenei's clique is operating a threat matrix based not on who is potentially a threat to him, but who is a potential threat to a preferred successor. Raisi/Mojtaba are fairly weak figures, so that requires treating pretty much anyone with any independent power-base as a threat.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2024, 11:15:26 AM »

Didn't he have some limited education and housing reforms?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2024, 11:44:20 AM »

I should be clear though that Ahmadinejad is still unambiguously a disgusting character.
A colorful character, none the less.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2024, 02:35:21 PM »

If Ahmadinejad had been President ten years later, you would have had a Trump/Ahmadinejad summit.

Iranian politics is not really being driven by ideology anymore so much as clique-based power struggles, and Khamenei's clique is operating a threat matrix based not on who is potentially a threat to him, but who is a potential threat to a preferred successor. Raisi/Mojtaba are fairly weak figures, so that requires treating pretty much anyone with any independent power-base as a threat.
Bold of you to assume that it ever was.
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2024, 05:22:48 PM »

The Supreme Leader is a mostly ceremonial post by now. Actual power rests actually with the presidency and IRGC.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies