Which British PM do you like more/dislike less?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 26, 2024, 06:57:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which British PM do you like more/dislike less?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Well?
Liz Truss

Boris Johnson

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Which British PM do you like more/dislike less?  (Read 1125 times)
Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 10, 2024, 08:47:37 AM »

Imo this is a difficult choice.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2024, 08:52:47 AM »
« Edited: February 10, 2024, 11:26:14 AM by Mr. Smith »

BoJo and it's not close. Thatcherism without any finesse is sick and wrong.
Bardella ciao!
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2024, 10:59:03 AM »
« Edited: February 10, 2024, 01:19:17 PM by Antonio the Sixth »

BoJo's #populism Purple heart shtick was mostly performative, but still better than unreconstructed thatcherism.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2024, 05:04:01 PM »

As bad as Truss is, I will still take Thatcherism over right-populism.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2024, 05:09:25 PM »

Truss was more of a freedom caucus type than a Thatcherite though . Thatcher’s views on immigration and EU also definitely fit what is considered today as right wing populism over right neoliberals (she eliminated birthright citizenship, opposed the EEC becoming the EU and opposed German reunification) .

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2024, 05:12:50 PM »

Truss was more of a freedom caucus type than a Thatcherite though . Thatcher’s views on immigration and EU also definitely fit what is considered today as right wing populism over right neoliberals (she eliminated birthright citizenship, opposed the EEC becoming the EU and opposed German reunification) .

Okay, but the bar isn't actually "good", it's just "preferable to modern right-populism:" Tongue

In terms of British politics, I'm probably closer to a Blairite than anything else.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2024, 08:08:58 PM »

Boris Johnson, as terrible as he is, didn't crash the economy
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2024, 08:43:37 PM »

Ngl I find Truss kinda hilarious, chaotic incompetence and all.

Johnson however is the lowest of the low: a columnist turned politician who pandered to the far Right for political gain, gave the late Queen illegal advice, violated the law and the public trust during the pandemic, and tried to stay in office well past his expiration date.

Consider the fact that Johnson was PM for three years during which he did a ton of damage. Ms. Pork Markets crashing the British economy and getting shoved out of office after less than two months is a sharp, violent, deeply stupid hiccup by comparison.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2024, 08:54:07 PM »

Boris Johnson was obviously smarter and better at the job, even though his conduct was disgraceful. In some ways he has been better than Sunak too, though his premiership had to end. And it should also be remembered that Boris has a lot of responsibility for Truss taking office, and he likely wanted her to be a disaster so he could comeback (he just miscalculated how long she'd last).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2024, 05:26:30 AM »

Johnson was more generally entertaining while Truss was entertaining in a purely train wreck sort of way.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2024, 05:58:37 AM »

Liz Truss was (going to be) worse, but I have much more contempt for Boris Johnson.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2024, 06:07:01 AM »

There is some fandom for Truss within the YIMBYist crowd, amusingly enough. On that basis I have to vote for Johnson.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2024, 07:14:09 AM »

Boris Johnson
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2024, 11:05:00 AM »

both based as F, Truss was better bcuz not so much moral hypocrisy tho
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2024, 02:11:52 PM »

Truss seemed more honest, less personally morally wrong, and more incompetent on policies I disagreed with, so her.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2024, 02:35:00 PM »
« Edited: February 12, 2024, 02:44:27 PM by OSR stands with Israel »

Okay, but the bar isn't actually "good", it's just "preferable to modern right-populism:" Tongue

In terms of British politics, I'm probably closer to a Blairite than anything else.

Except Truss is more of a right wing populist than Boris . She is anti EU just like him except  she is far more into creating actual chaos than Boris is . Liz truss is trying to directly undermine Sunak’s government as well while Boris went away . Also you probably would prefer Boris on social issues to Truss as well as Boris was more socially liberal than either Truss or Sunak .

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2024/feb/06/popular-conservatism-has-splintered-but-is-united-in-criticism-of-sunaks-policies

So you can make an argument Truss is more like a right wing populist. Basically Boris vs Truss would be the equivalent of Sarah Palin vs a Giuliani before he lost his mind
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2024, 03:55:14 PM »

Except Truss is more of a right wing populist than Boris . She is anti EU just like him except  she is far more into creating actual chaos than Boris is . Liz truss is trying to directly undermine Sunak’s government as well while Boris went away . Also you probably would prefer Boris on social issues to Truss as well as Boris was more socially liberal than either Truss or Sunak.

Yeah, I suppose you might be right. I was admittedly mostly being contrarian, this isn't really a matchup I've put much thought into.

So you can make an argument Truss is more like a right wing populist. Basically Boris vs Truss would be the equivalent of Sarah Palin vs a Giuliani before he lost his mind

Wait, which one is Palin in this comparison? Because I would probably support pre-insanity Giuliani over Sarah Palin
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2024, 04:05:23 PM »

Except Truss is more of a right wing populist than Boris . She is anti EU just like him except  she is far more into creating actual chaos than Boris is . Liz truss is trying to directly undermine Sunak’s government as well while Boris went away . Also you probably would prefer Boris on social issues to Truss as well as Boris was more socially liberal than either Truss or Sunak.

Yeah, I suppose you might be right. I was admittedly mostly being contrarian, this isn't really a matchup I've put much thought into.

Wait, which one is Palin in this comparison? Because I would probably support pre-insanity Giuliani over Sarah Palin

Liz Truss is Palin here
President Johnson
Atlas Superstar
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2024, 04:06:27 PM »

Agreed. I'd also argue she has done way less damage to the UK than Mr. Brexit.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2024, 09:18:48 PM »

Johnson is a disappointment often, but he's way better than Truss
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2024, 09:28:21 PM »

Liz Truss killed the Queen, destroyed the pound and irreparably damged the Conservative party as a major force in 50 glorious days. I can't think of a PM I'd admire more.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2024, 11:37:04 PM »

Liz Truss killed the Queen, destroyed the pound and irreparably damged the Conservative party as a major force in 50 glorious days. I can't think of a PM I'd admire more.

Would it be accurate to say that in your heart, Truss is the real Queen Elizabeth?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2024, 11:38:35 AM »

Except Truss is more of a right wing populist than Boris . She is anti EU just like him

Remarkably, back in 2016 she actually campaigned for Remain.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2024, 11:16:53 PM »

Except Truss is more of a right wing populist than Boris . She is anti EU just like him

Remarkably, back in 2016 she actually campaigned for Remain.

Lib Dem Liz (as she literally was back in the 90s)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2024, 07:42:06 AM »

Indeed, a LibDem conference being the occasion of her famous anti-monarchy speech!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies