Biden couldn't remember when he was vice president or when his son died
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:06:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden couldn't remember when he was vice president or when his son died
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Biden couldn't remember when he was vice president or when his son died  (Read 2627 times)
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 08, 2024, 03:59:01 PM »

This is becoming a bigger issue I feel
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 04:02:20 PM »

It needs clarification and/or verfication, but hard to deny that it's extremely bad optics at this point.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 04:02:42 PM »

That ain’t good
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 04:05:10 PM »

This is a lot of the reason why there won't be a presidential debate in my opinion. Even if the RNC folds and accept the CPD rules, the Biden campaign will find a reason to stay out.
Birdish
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 04:05:23 PM »

"That was once so important to him"

This reads like a hit piece.
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 04:08:08 PM »

Only reinforces voters issues surrounding his age.
Independents for Nihilism
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024, 04:08:53 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2024, 04:14:54 PM by Independents for Haley »

I always chalked up the "Beau died in Iraq" stuff to being a weird Biden-ism about how he may have got cancer from exposure to burn pits or something, but now I fear that's what Joe legitimately thinks. I think in retrospect, we may find Beau's death is what really made Biden's age-related decline kick in, beyond his previous tendency for gaffes. That stress probably knocked him down more than the stress of the Presidency has.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2024, 04:09:32 PM »

"That was once so important to him"

This reads like a hit piece.
It's from the Hur Report, so that's not a surprise.
kyc0705

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2024, 04:15:04 PM »

The question I would have for the people dismissing this is simple: how do you convince voters that something like this shouldn't matter?

You could say that it's from a partisan actor, but when consistent majorities of voters already believe that Biden's too old, a news story like this matches their priors, and the only major group of people who reject that Biden is too old are partisan Democrats. Fairly or not, that becomes the take that seems like cope/spin.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2024, 04:16:41 PM »

This whole 8 year crap show could have been prevented had Beau lived, and Biden ran in 2016, instead of Hillary.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2024, 04:18:41 PM »

Ugh, this really looks bad. Even if it's a hit piece, which it could be, it would indeed reinforce the image he's no longer up to the task.

That said, remembers me of an incidence last year when Biden returned from Ireland and at a WH event he couldn't answer a little boy's question which country he last visited. At least would also explain why he has given few interviews throughout his entire tenure, much fewer than his predecessors.

Of course either of us can determine whether it actually is that bad. But if indeed it is, it pains me to say it, then Biden is doing a huge disservice to the nation and his party by continuing to run. Or even launch a reelection bid in the first place. Especially puts Dems in a though position who are forced not to criticize him while trying to do everything possible Trump won't come back.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2024, 04:22:45 PM »

Ugh, this really looks bad. Even if it's a hit piece, which it could be, it would indeed reinforce the image he's no longer up to the task.

That said, remembers me of an incidence last year when Biden returned from Ireland and at a WH event he couldn't answer a little boy's question which country he last visited. At least would also explain why he has given few interviews throughout his entire tenure, much fewer than his predecessors.

Of course either of us can determine whether it actually is that bad. But if indeed it is, it pains me to say it, then Biden is doing a huge disservice to the nation and his party by continuing to run. Or even launch a reelection bid in the first place. Especially puts Dems in a though position who are forced not to criticize him while trying to do everything possible Trump won't come back.

If Biden drops out, the instant frontrunner would be Kamala Harris.

The other superstars in the Democratic Party, are too unknown, or don't have national profiles. Except for Newsom, but Newsom's newsom.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2024, 04:23:36 PM »

The other superstars in the Democratic Party, are too unknown, or don't have national profiles. Except for Newsom, but Newsom's newsom.

This is why you have him drop out the DNC so then you can replace him with someone like Beshear or Whitmer
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2024, 04:26:12 PM »

This is why you have him drop out the DNC so then you can replace him with someone like Beshear or Whitmer

But Whitmer's untested on the national level. ( And I like Whitmer myself ! Tim Walz is also a favorite of mine.)

That's the problem. Democrats are in a catch 22 ( because Obama ( and I blame Obama for this soeley ), Obama ddidnt cultivate new democratic talent, and mentor them over his 8 year presidency.).

And now we're stuck.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2024, 04:27:44 PM »

That would be bad optics, too, putting up a candidate who never won a single vote in the primaries. The media would relentlessly pressure the nominee to talk about this circumstance rather than actual issues. It would also lead to some inner party backlash for passing Harris by.

If Biden indeed is no longer up to it (that's an If), he never should have jumped in the race to begin with. The truth is, probably neither he nor Trump should have. We'd be better off with Newsom and DeSantis fighting this out.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2024, 04:29:28 PM »

That would be bad optics, too, putting up a candidate who never won a single vote in the primaries. The media would relentlessly pressure the nominee to talk about this circumstance rather than actual issues. It would also lead to some inner party backlash for passing Harris by.

If Biden indeed is no longer up to it (that's an If), he never should have jumped in the race to begin with. The truth is, probably neither he nor Trump should have. We'd be better off with Newsom and DeSantis fighting this out.

I think in a interview last, Biden implied that he would not have run again, if Trump didn't run again.

henster
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2024, 04:30:07 PM »

I don't think it would be as messy as people think as long as Harris is the consensus nominee. If Biden steps aside willingly, he formally drops out at the convention. His delegates are released and get behind Harris who should be the only major candidate.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2024, 04:33:43 PM »

The question I would have for the people dismissing this is simple: how do you convince voters that something like this shouldn't matter?

Frequent, dynamic, high-profile public interaction that demonstrates it is not significant. Which should be readily achievable if it is not significant.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2024, 04:36:45 PM »

There is a way you can do this imo (same applies for RNC if somehow Trump ended up getting disqualified):

Step 1 : Require all candidates who are interested in running to declare two weeks before the convention

Step 2 : Hold a debate 4-5 days before the convention with the requirement that all candidates have the signatures of at least 10% of delegates or 10% in sanctioned polls (require all delegates who want to vote to have to participate in this process)

Step 3 : Do the rounds like this :

Round 1: Only allow the candidates who qualified for the debate to make the ballot

Round 2 : only Those who got at least 25% of the delegates or finished in the top 4(with a minimum 15% rule ) can make it to round 2

Round 3 : only the top 3 get on the ballot

Round 4: only the top 2 get on the ballot
Property Representative of the Harold Holt Swimming Centre
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2024, 04:38:41 PM »

An interesting scenario is if he wins the election, then is very obviously 'out of it' by around the 2026 midterms. Him resigning likely wouldn't please the likes of Newsom, Whitmer etc as it would give Harris the incumbency advantage for the 2028 nomination, to the extent that there might not even be seriously contested primaries. In fact if he were to resign after Jan 20, 2027 then it would mean the next generations after Biden/Harris might well have to wait until 2036. Newsom, for example, would be almost 70 by then.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2024, 04:40:57 PM »

There is a way you can do this imo (same applies for RNC if somehow Trump ended up getting disqualified):

Step 1 : Require all candidates who are interested in running to declare two weeks before the convention

Step 2 : Hold a debate 4-5 days before the convention with the requirement that all candidates have the signatures of at least 10% of delegates or 10% in sanctioned polls (require all delegates who want to vote to have to participate in this process)

Step 3 : Do the rounds like this :

Round 1: Only allow the candidates who qualified for the debate to make the ballot

Round 2 : only Those who got at least 25% of the delegates or finished in the top 4(with a minimum 15% rule ) can make it to round 2

Round 3 : only the top 3 get on the ballot

Round 4: only the top 2 get on the ballot

Ironcially,

This is how most other countries nominate their candidates for president. They don’t have the drawn out process we do.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2024, 04:42:18 PM »

Gavin Newsom is RIGHT THERE folks!

He’s RIGHT THERE!!!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2024, 04:42:22 PM »

An interesting scenario is if he wins the election, then is very obviously 'out of it' by around the 2026 midterms. Him resigning likely wouldn't please the likes of Newsom, Whitmer etc as it would give Harris the incumbency advantage for the 2028 nomination, to the extent that there might not even be seriously contested primaries. In fact if he were to resign after Jan 20, 2027 then it would mean the next generations after Biden/Harris might well have to wait until 2036. Newsom, for example, would be almost 70 by then.

I doubt Harris would win both 2028 and 2032 after a Biden resignation after January 20, 2027. If she replaces him at any time during the next term, she'll be lucky to win at least one full term in her own right.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2024, 04:42:36 PM »

Still far more coherent and lucid than Trump is on his best day

Not that I even consider this partisan hack’s report credible.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2024, 04:43:47 PM »

Unfortunately for Republicans the general public doesn't read these sort of reports just like what happened with the Mueller Report. The only people reading this are ones who are terminally online.

With that said, I would vote for Joe Biden if he was dead. And that's not even my quote, that's from an an actual elected official who is much less liberal than me (and no, I'm not saying their name so you all can harass them).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies