Gun Owners who vote Democrat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:05:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Gun Owners who vote Democrat
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gun Owners who vote Democrat  (Read 455 times)
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 08, 2024, 02:44:27 PM »

Describe what type of gun owners would vote Democrat?  I would assume since GOP more pro-gun most gun owners vote GOP, but in past most exit polls show over 1 in 3 gun owners vote Democrat so what would be some common characteristics amongst that cohort?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 02:46:38 PM »

Probably concentrated in super-rural areas where gun ownership is nearly universal and a lot of local jobs take people physically into the wilderness?  Thinking most of all of rural Alaska here.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 02:57:41 PM »

Probably concentrated in super-rural areas where gun ownership is nearly universal and a lot of local jobs take people physically into the wilderness?  Thinking most of all of rural Alaska here.

Vermont is another as it is very Democrat and I believe has fairly high gun ownership rates.  While gun ownership lower overall amongst them, I suspect most Black gun owners vote Democrat.  Although Blacks who own a gun probably more likely to vote GOP than those who don't, but its maybe 85/15 split instead of 90/10.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 03:08:21 PM »

I of course am one. I’m not worried about losing my gun rights, thanks to checks from the legislature/the courts, as well as the fact that even the most “extreme” gun control policies proposed by mainstream Democrats generally would amount more to annoyances (restricting the number of bullets I can load in a magazine for example) than anything seriously threatening my rights.

Not to mention that even if the choice WAS actually between outright confiscation of my guns and things like universal healthcare and abortion rights, I’d still lean towards the latter. I am FAR from a single-issue gun voter or gun nut, as are many other gun owners. I personally know many normal gun owners who enjoy shooting recreationally and having guns for self-defense but hate the NRA and are embarrassed by the stereotype of the “gun nut.”

Personally I would not mind laws like countries like Germany and France have, which allow gun ownership — even of semi-auto rifles and pistols, and are actually in some cases even more lenient than we are on things like suppressors — as long as one can prove their responsibility to own a gun and has some legitimate purpose for it like sports shooting or hunting. I think they maybe don’t do it in the absolute best way and have expanded on my own ideas at length in other threads, but needless to say I think there is a smart, reasonable middle ground that could satisfy responsible gun owners and safety concerns alike, without giving in to the extremes of either “ban everything” camps or the NRA’s “anything goes.”

It’s just unfortunate such a compromise seems untenable in the current political environment, but the Democrats still seem less insane and more open to it and, again, I’d prefer them over the GOP even if their worst ideas were adopted anyway.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 03:42:55 PM »

There are also some such people in places where the local Democratic Party is more pro-gun than the average national Democratic politician (Montana would be an example of such a place - its incumbent Democratic Senator, Jon Tester, has supported increased background checks & banning bump stocks but not an outright ban on assault weapons).
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 06:29:29 PM »

Mary Peltola
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024, 07:12:19 PM »

There are also some such people in places where the local Democratic Party is more pro-gun than the average national Democratic politician (Montana would be an example of such a place - its incumbent Democratic Senator, Jon Tester, has supported increased background checks & banning bump stocks but not an outright ban on assault weapons).

I think this is going to be true in basically every rural area. Gun ownership and gun-related recreation (hunting) are big parts of the culture, and I'd wager most D-voting rural men own guns (even though most gun-owning rural men are not D voters).
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2024, 08:26:13 PM »

The state of Vermont

My mom
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2024, 09:38:42 PM »

Some posters have already given some good examples.

I would also add that the profile of a gun-owning Democrat is generally very different from that of a gun-owning Republican. Conservative and Republican gun owners are MUCH more likely to make owning guns an extension of their personalities and livelihoods.

It's like the difference between liberal Christians and conservative Christians. Liberal Christians generally (though not always) are private about their faith and usually don't feel the need to "impose" their faith onto others. Conservative Christians are generally (though not always) WAY more open about "loving Jesus" and mentioning their faith.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2024, 01:20:21 AM »

My parents, and technically me.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2024, 11:54:51 AM »

Non-White Gun Owners.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2024, 05:25:29 PM »

Lawyers who keep a gun in their office.
walleye26

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2024, 08:56:14 PM »

A lot of teachers who hunt, especially here in Wisconsin, fit that bill. Almost all the teachers I know who hunt vote Democrat. Most of them aren’t that socially liberal, but are pro-education, pro-infrastructure, and support things like Obamacare and worker safety laws.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2024, 09:26:21 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2024, 09:31:50 PM by TDAS04 »

I know plenty of them.

A lot of teachers who hunt, especially here in Wisconsin, fit that bill. Almost all the teachers I know who hunt vote Democrat. Most of them aren’t that socially liberal, but are pro-education, pro-infrastructure, and support things like Obamacare and worker safety laws.

Sums up quite a few of my teachers as well.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies