Ron DeSantis bizarrely supports banning lab-grown meat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:24:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ron DeSantis bizarrely supports banning lab-grown meat
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ron DeSantis bizarrely supports banning lab-grown meat  (Read 713 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 02, 2024, 06:13:55 PM »

It's so odd how conservatives will turn even the most innocuous things into culture war issues
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2024, 06:21:15 PM »

So now they're actually throwing red meat to their base.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2024, 06:30:01 PM »

Lab grown meat is bad for you for reasons.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2024, 06:31:16 PM »

Lab grown meat makes kids gay and trans, and the woke scientists that make the meat KNOW THAT and are doing it on purpose!
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2024, 06:35:08 PM »

It makes sense to me. Republicans feel "real meat" is more macho, and lab-grown meat is giving the vegetarians a win in culture war issues.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2024, 06:37:25 PM »

It makes sense to me. Republicans feel "real meat" is more macho, and lab-grown meat is giving the vegetarians a win in culture war issues.

Is Lab-Grown meat liked by anyone though lol . The vast majority of vegetarians I know IRL hate it as its actually replaced actual vegetarian food.

Lab-Grown meat seems more for people who want the taste of meat without actually having to eat it
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2024, 06:41:03 PM »

It is real meat, though. It's basically no kill meat that is grown from cells extracted from animals.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2024, 06:46:32 PM »

I think he (and a lot of people) are confusing lab-grown meat with things like Impossible meat. Lab-grown meat is very much still in the experimental stage.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2024, 07:31:17 PM »

Is Lab-Grown meat liked by anyone though lol . The vast majority of vegetarians I know IRL hate it as its actually replaced actual vegetarian food.

Lab-Grown meat seems more for people who want the taste of meat without actually having to eat it
What culture are the majority of vegetarians you know? If it is Indian vegetarians, I can see why they would think that as they already figured out how to make good vegetarian food. But I am thinking a lot of white vegetarians would be more supportive of fake meat.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2024, 07:48:51 PM »

He just wishes he was a lab-grown politician.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2024, 09:02:46 PM »

I'd TOTALLY eat synthetic meat if it had the same texture, richness, umami-ness, and blood-richness of actual meat.

Theoretically, it should be the same molecular arrangement. 

What kind of moron would automatically refute synthetic meat? 

The only reason I reject it is because I can tell it's fake. 

Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2024, 09:02:59 PM »

Republicans want to go after your veggie burgers
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2024, 09:04:38 PM »

What culture are the majority of vegetarians you know? If it is Indian vegetarians, I can see why they would think that as they already figured out how to make good vegetarian food. But I am thinking a lot of white vegetarians would be more supportive of fake meat.

I mean there are real veggie burgers out there and sadly you have seen more and more pubs replace them with impossible ones .

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2024, 09:06:16 PM »

So now they're actually throwing red meat to their base.

Nah, they're promising red meat. Let's not help the illusion that the Republicans will ever deliver anything to their base except to help them abuse others.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2024, 09:15:34 PM »

Cattle ranching is a traditional part of Florida agriculture so it isn't at all bizarre that a Florida politician would want to ban lab grown meat. 
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2024, 09:34:42 PM »

Only factory farms should be fearful of lab-grown meat.

Lab-grown meat is still in it's early stages, but hopefully it will develop to the point where it becomes the dominant meat on the market. In the future, with further development of lab-grown meat, meat from farm animals would still be a thing, but it would be more of a luxury.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2024, 09:42:57 PM »

Cattle ranching is a traditional part of Florida agriculture so it isn't at all bizarre that a Florida politician would want to ban lab grown meat. 

Cattle ranching and agriculture causes red tides which hurts the true economy of Florida which is tourism. People don’t want to go to the beaches when it irritates their lungs and makes it hard to breath.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2024, 10:06:03 PM »

Ah yes good old regulatory capture
Neo-Malthusian Misanthrope
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2024, 10:28:23 PM »

I knew this would become a culture war issue eventually.
I will be curious to see how this develops. Not just because of an interview I saw from a researcher who said the tech for lab cultivated meat is nowhere near ready to be deployed at scale, but also to see whether this becomes yet another culture war flashpoint/conspiracy about how the WEF wants to ban real meat, and instead force people to eat fake meat (that turns kids gay, probably) cooked on electric stoves while trapped in 15-minute cities.
Seriously though I think it's more of a populist "we support our farmers" thing than an "I don't like em putting chemicals in the water" thing, even from DeSantis.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2024, 10:46:58 PM »

Lab grown meat makes kids gay and trans, and the woke scientists that make the meat KNOW THAT and are doing it on purpose!

DeSantis's (mostly evil) crusade against trans rights and wokeism notwithstanding the much, much more parsimonious and plausible motivation here is opposition from meat producers in the state who obviously are going to be Republican voters and donors.

This has been happening with animal product alternatives nationwide for at least the last half-decade. Trump's FDA wanted to make it illegal to use the word "milk" to describe plant-based milks and Missouri banned food producers from using "meat" to describe food products not derived from animal products. Unsurprisingly these were lobbied for heavily by dairy and meat producers respectively.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2024, 03:50:43 AM »

It is, however, bizarre that a Republican is interfering with the free market like this.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2024, 06:55:32 AM »

Real Meatball Ron
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies