True Democracy for Atlasia PAC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 11:53:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  True Democracy for Atlasia PAC
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: True Democracy for Atlasia PAC  (Read 1193 times)
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2007, 08:26:56 PM »

I'm starting a PAC, named after me Smiley to basically post my opinions on stuff.  Since I don't hold an office, I'd still like to actively express my views in some form and stay involved.  So, I thought a PAC would be the best way to go.  I hope you guys don't mind too much.

Here is a repost of my policy speech on the genocide in Sudan:

*Former President True Democrat walks outside of his home in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to a press conference*

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen of the press,

Never again.

After World War II, the leaders of the world promised us that never again would a genocide occur.  Never again would millions be slaughtered because of the terrorist rages of the government.

And yet, in the 1970s, we watched as Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia unleashed a reign of violence that killed over 2 million people, or one third of the population.  Never again, President Carter promised, would genocide occur.

Then, in 1994, Hutus in Rwanda killed 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus with machetes in a span of just 100 days.  In what may be the fastest genocide in the history of the world, America/Atlasia did not intervene, but chose to instead to withdraw the United Nations peacekeepers in the country.  President Clinton again promised never again.

But, it's happening again.  This time in a place called Darfur, in Sudan.  For the last four years, the Sudanese government has supplied the Janjaweed militia with the weapons and infrastructure it has needed to attack innocent civilians in Darfur.  Since the genocide began, the UN estimates that 400,000 people have been killed, with over 2.1 million being displaced from their homes.

While the world has looked on, nations such as China have been supplying the Sudanese government, under President Omar al Bashir, with weapons in exchange for oil.

Many politicians speak of a moral dilemmas.  The only dilemma I see here is between action and sitting back as genocide occurs.  We have a choice here.  We have a choice as a nation to make a difference for the future generations of this planet.  We have a chance to stop genocide and set a precendent that tells every group wanting to commit genocide in the future that it will be not be tolerated.  This is the chance we have to make a difference in this world.

To combat the current genocide in Sudan, I would like to lay out a number of policies that stop the killing of innocent civilians.

First, in terms of economic ways to stop the Sudanese government from arming the janjaweed, we can, as a nation, put sanctions and embargos on the nation of Sudan.  While going through the UN is no longer an option because of China's refusal to do anything, we must encourage all other nations that are willing, especially those in the European Union, to put sanctions on Sudan to stop the government from making profits from oil in order to arm the militias.

Another economic action we can take on this issue is to pass a law ordering all Atlasian companies to divest from Sudan.  Many of our companies, including Fidelity Investments, are invested heavily in the Sudanese economy, which empowers the government.  By ordering our companies to divest, we can stop money going to the Sudanese government.  If our national leaders are not willing to do this, we must at least pass these laws on a regional level.

The second area where action must be taken is on negotiations.  For the last four years, both rebel groups, such as the Sudanese Liberation Army, and the government of Sudan have attempted to negotiate, only to either walk out or not meet their end of the bargain.  This has gone on long enough.  In order to ensure that negotiations are actually effective, we must be willing to back this up with force.

On August 31, 2006, the United Nations passed a resolution that would send a peacekeeping force of 17,300 to Sudan to stop the conflict.  So far, the world has done nothing to build or implement this force.  This peacekeeping force must be part of the hard power we need to back up our negotiations.  Without hard power to back them up, negotations will continue to fail and thousands more will die.

If all else fails, Atlasia must be willing to take action through possible military force.  Immediately, our government must start reaching out to other willing nations around the world to show the necessity of intervening in Sudan in some manner.  Some possible allies could include the United Kingdom and other nations of the European Union.  Not only would this international coalition be able to take actual action on Sudan if necessary, but it would also send a symbolic message to the Sudanese government that genocide will not happen on our watch.

Let me make this perfectly clear now.  In no way, would I, or many other members of the international coalition to stop genocide, want this force to do an Iraqi-style intervention.  This force would not be a nation building force.  If this force had to be used, which I would hope it would not, it would strictly be to stop the killing of innocent civilians.  With a combination or targetted bombings of military and janjaweed installations in Sudan, a short term military mission to stop the genocide could be very effective.

Let us hope that no international military coalition will be necessary, but I fear it might.  With China's continued stubborness on this issue and the world as a whole refusing to take action, we must continue to try political solutions while backing this up with hard, military force.

While the genocide continues, the Atlasian government should take the short term step of providing more aid to the refugees in Sudan and those that have fled to the nation of Chad.  These refugees are living in desperate conditions and need aid.

Many of you may be wondering why a former President who is no longer in the Atlasian government and not a candidate in any office is speaking on this issue.  I may not be a candidate or a government official, but this is an issue that I am passionate about.  I cannot look on as hundreds of thousands are killed in genocide.

Because of the continued massacring of civilians, I call on the Atlasian government to take action.  We must stop the trend of allowing genocide.  Since the end of World War II, four definite genocides have occured: Camobodia, Bosnia, Rwanda, and now Sudan.  We must not allow this to continue.

I call on not only members of the government, but also all candidates in the upcoming elections, to commit to these steps to stop the genocide in Sudan.  Only together can we save the lives of thousands of people.

Unless we act soon, the policy of saying never again, may just happen again, and again.

*Former President True Democrat concludes his statement and opens up the press conference to questions (meaning other posters should ask questions if they have any)

More policy speeches will be posted in the days to come. . . (maybe even another one tonight)
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 09:01:28 PM »

Policy Speech on Energy

Instead of an actual speech like on Darfur, I just wanted to lay out some proposals I think the federal government should adopt as soon as possible:

1. Raise CAFE standards in the following ways:
     a. Cars: Raise to 35 mpg by 2010, 45 mpg by 2012, 55 mpg by 2015
     b. Light Trucks: 25 mpg by 2010, 35 mpg by 2012, 45 mpg by 2015
     c. SUV: Institute standard at 25 mpg by 2010, 38 mpg by 2012, 50 mpg by 2015
2. Require the following with regard to hybrid vehicles:
     a. All companies must have 30% of all their cars being sold in the US by 2012 be
         hybrids
     b. 40% by 2015
     c. 55% by 2018
     d. 75% by 2022
3. Encourage the development of ethanol through subsidies with the following goals:
     a. 15% of all fuel for cars used is ethanol by 2015
     b. 40% by 2018
     c. 65% by 2020
     d. The preferred use of ethanol shall be set by the EPA and Eneregy Department
         based on quantity available, price, and pollution.
4. Require the following percentage of cars be flex-fuel cars:
     a. 15% by 2015
     b. 40% by 2018
     c. 65% by 2020
5. Set up a national committee on carbon taxes to test effectiveness

I'd like input from other people on how to make these proposals better or what people think of them in general.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 12:19:59 AM »

Anyone have any comments on these proposals?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 03:10:47 AM »

Hi, True Democrat.  I'd be willing to work with you on both of these issues and I think we would have allies in several other Senators as well.  Could you perhaps provide a specific legislative proposal on how to require companies in Atlasia to divest from Sudan?  I'm weary of sanctions because they caused the deaths of thousands of people in Iraq in the 1990s; would the same situation occur with sanctions on Sudan?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 03:17:04 AM »

Energy Policy Reform Bill

1. CAFE standards will be raised in the following ways.
     a. Cars: Raise to 37 mpg by 2009, 47 mpg by 2011, 57 mpg by 2014
     b. Light Trucks: 27 mpg by 2009, 37 mpg by 2011, 45 mpg by 2014
     c. SUV: A standard of 25 mpg is instituted effective 2009, 38 mpg by 2011, 50 mpg by 2014
2. All companies must have 30% of all their cars being sold in the US by 2010 be hybrids; 45% by 2014; 55% by 2017, and 75% by 2021.
3. 15% of all fuel used for cars used must be ethanol by 2015, 40% by 2018, and 65% by 2020.
4. 15% of cars must be flex-fuel cars by 2015, 40% by 2018, and 65% by 2020.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 03:41:26 PM »

In addition to raising the CAFE standards to reduce the oil used, here are some policy recommendations with regard to nuclear power:

We must build more nuclear power plants.  This country already relies on oil, coal, and natural gas plants too much for electrical power.  And, renewable energy sources such as wind or solar power simply cannot provide our needs as a nation.  For this reason, nuclear power is the best solution to our energy needs.

Currently, about 20% of Atlasia's power comes from nuclear plants.  By the year 2025, our goal should be to increase this to at least 50%.  In France, where 80% of the power is nuclear, they have the cleanest air and cheapest electricity of any industrialized nation.  Using this as an example, we must build more nuclear power plants.

Nuclear power plants are not cheap to build and not profitable.  For this reason, no company is going to want to build these power plants, at least not without government support.  Either the government must build the power plants, or large subsidies must be given to individual companies.  Although, there is a thrid option that I personally feel is the best one.  The federal government should give money to any region looking to build nuclear power plants, especially in the West where the Hoover Dam won't provide enough power for Arizona and Southern California soon.  In the style of the National Interstate and Defense Highways Act of 1956, the federal government should be willing to provide at least 75% of the funds for any new nuclear power plant, although the actual number should be closer to 85%.  By supplying regions with the money to build these power plants, we can decentralize control and lessen bureacracy while at the same time getting the job done.

Some talk about the negative environmental side effects to nuclear power, but nuclear power is one of the cleanest forms of power in the world.  With little, if any, emissions into the air, nuclear power does not contribute to global warming and carbon emissions.  The spent fuel from nuclear power can be safely buried deep within the earth away from any human settlement to ensure that not one person is affected by the waste.

In addition to nuclear power, another way Atlasia can help to reduce CO2 emissions is through changing the way this nation packages its goods.  Plastic surrounds nearly every item we buy today.  To make this plastic, much oil is used.  If our government were to require companies to cut back on the use of plastic in packaging (think of how An Inconvenient Truth is packaged), we could save a lot of oil, which would also reduce our dependence on foreign oil.

These are just a few more ideas for the government to implement with regard to energy policy.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 06:08:27 PM »

Policy Speech on Immigration

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Emma Lazarus' famous poem "The New Colossus" appears on the base of the Statue of Liberty.  It is time that we remember the promise of America.  It is time to implement a morally-based policy on immigration that looks at immigrants as people, not as statistics.

When those crossing our borders illegally move from Mexico to Atlasia, they are not looking to break the law.  Most of these immigrants are not hoping to disrupt daily life in America or pose a threat to our nation.  Instead, they are looking to do the opposite.  These immigrants want to embolden Atlasia so that it can provide the American dream to its citizens for years to come.

When these immigrants cross the Rio Grande or the desert in Arizona, they are looking for a chance to achieve self-reliance and a steady income for their family.  Most immigrants coming to Atlasia are looking for a chance to have success in their economic and social lives, and America can provide that opportunity.

When looking at the issue of illegal immigration and immigration in general, I am strongly in favor a policy that honors strong family bonds and the chance for anyone, regardless of ethnicity, race, or economic status, to achieve the American dream.

Our government must oppose quotas in any form.  Quotas are an unjust, discriminatory policy.  If an immigrant simply wanting to find a job and more comfortable life in Atlasia is denied simply because his national origin, that is discrimination.  Hundreds of thousands around the world want to become prodcuctive members of Atlasian society.  A person should not be stopped from entering this country simply because a number of others from the same country have entered.

It is my feeling that this nation should follow a policy of a guest worker program that can eventually lead to citizenship.  This is the most just policy that allows immigrants of any nationality to come to this nation to find jobs in order to make a better life for themselves.  Furthermore, guest workers should be given every opportunity to become citizens of Atlasia.  This great experiement called America/Atlasia must continue to welcome immigrants in order to progress into the future and contribute to the world positively.

Finally, English should never become the official language of Atlasia.  When America/Atlasia was founded in 1776, no official language was set for a reason.  We are a nation that values people of all cultures and those who speak all languages.  Simply because a majority of Atlasians speak English does not mean that this language should be forced upon all others in this great nation.

Let us return to the promise of America.  Years ago, when immigrants streamed through the New York harbor to Ellis Island, they read the words of Emma Lazarus on the Statue of Liberty.  We have made a promise to those suffering around the world.  We have made an offer to the world to "Give me your tired, your poor/Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."  Atlasia must continue to honor this policy, and I urge all candidates and members of the government to honor a morally based immigration policy in the way I have described.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 10:44:20 AM »

College Education

As a proponent of free trade and globalization, I believe that Atlasia must be able to compete with other nations to grow our economy and embolden our citizens.

One area where Atlasia can compete is in the area of highly-skilled jobs.  With manufacturing and low-paid service jobs moving overseas, our citizens msut compete with those in Europe, Japan, and now even parts of China in order to attain the highly paid, highly skilled jobs our country needs.

In order to prepare our citizens adequately for these careers, college education is key.  Without a proper college education, our citizens will not attain the skills necessary.

However, the promise of Atlasia is fading.  With college costs skyrocketing, many children from working class families can no longer afford a college education.  And yet, our government has done nearly nothing to combat this.

In order to make sure every Atlasian has an equal opportunity to attend college, our government must do more.  It is my opinion that an approach that combines both the private and public sectors is the best way to do this.  Instead of nationalizing control of colleges or getting out of the education business altogether, the government should instead make it easier for individuals to pay for college.

The best way to make it easier to pay for college is to make the costs tax-deductible.  Our government must enact a law that follows a model in which the percentage that is deductible is based on what tax bracket and how much income a college candidate's family makes.  This plan is the fairest to all citizens, and I would urge the government to adopt a plan of this nature soon.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 10:04:23 PM »

This will essentially be the ideas part of my campaign from now on.

If elected, I will propose a bill that creates a national registry for CO2 emissions and other gases that contribute to global warming.  The public has a right to know which companies are polluting the environment.  We already have registries for other harmful substances, I see no reason why CO2 should be exempt.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 09:02:08 AM »

In addition to the policy I have already outlined towards Sudan, we must help the people of Africa in other ways.  The fact is, the quality of life in many African nations has declined over the past few years, not risen.  One reason for this is the rampant disease, in particular AIDS, malaria, and TB.

In order to fight these diseases, we must not only commit money to African nations and charities, we must also help to build the infrastructure and good government.

One model for fighting HIV can be found in Uganda.  Although the Ugandan government clearly has its share of problems, one area where they have excelled is in fighting AIDS.  Through a public awareness campaign, they have been able to brings AIDS to one of the lowest levels in any sub-Saharan African nation.  In addition to this, we must encourage good government in Africa.  Only through government acceptance of the problem of AIDS can a solution come.  Specifically, we must put pressure on the government of Thabo Mbeki in South Africa.  While I was Secretary of State, I travelled to South Africa and asked Mbeki to do something about the AIDS epidemic.  To my surprise, he was somewhat receptive to this need.  I believe that with my experience in this area, I am the best candidate to help end the AIDS epidemic in Africa.  Another disease that has come about because of HIV/AIDS is TB.  TB was thought to almost be gone until the arrival of AIDS in Afirca.  If we fight the AIDS infection, we can fight TB also.

The final disease that is hurting Africa severely is malaria.  In the Western world, we have been able to bring malaria under control.  However, this disease still affects 400 million people worldwide, killing between one and three millioin people a year.  The answer to ending this disease is twofold.  First, we must decrease the price of the drugs to combat malaria by negotiating with the drug companies.  To do this, we can encourage generic substitutes and utilize NGOs such as the Clinton Foundation (assuming this still exists in Atlasia's world) to help bring down the drug prices.  The second way we can s top the spread of malaria is through a public education campaign in Africa.  We must show the African people how this disease is contracted and what they can do to prevent it.  Of course, the easiest way to prevent malaria is through mosquito nets, which are cheap and can be easily distributed.

A final disease I would like to touch on is polio.  After smallpox was eradicated, the world health community turned its eyes towards eradicating polio.  However, this has not yet happened.  We came close a couple of years ago, but recently rumors have spread in Africa, specifically in norhtern Nigeria, that the polio vaccine causes infertility in females.  Again, a public education campaign is necessary.  Since we have a vaccine for this disease, there is no reason by eradication cannot be a possibility.  Like with smallpox, we must eradicate polio from the face of the earth.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 10:38:49 AM »

So far, I support everything you said. Go get elected to something.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2007, 12:10:03 PM »

So far, I support everything you said. Go get elected to something.

I'm running for Senate.  I created this thread before I decided to run as some ideas to put out there.  Now, I'm using the ideas for my campaign.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 08:27:12 PM »

In response to the current resolution on the Senate floor regarding recognition of the United States, I would like to put forward my own opinion on this matter.

First, I would ask that the sponsor of the resolution withdraw it.  It is not that I feel recognition of the United States is a bad idea, I just believe that it is an issue that could be better explored in a different venue.  At this time, with the election close, I do not think that the Senate is the proper place to be discussing this issue.

Instead, I would like to see a national discussion from the President all the way down to the newest member on whether Atlasia should separate its identity from that of the United States.  This national discussion is the best way to get the input of those members who do not necessarily check the Senate threads.

If elected Senator, I would facilitate this national discussion through a public commssion.  I would introduce a bill that would appoint a commission made up of at least one members from every branch of the federal government, members of regional governments, founders of Atlasia, and new citizens.  This type of commission is not without precedent.  The same method was used on whether Atlasia should recognize other micronations.  In addition to the actual members of the commission, any citizen of Atlasia would be allowed to submit a statement with his opinion on Atlasian recognition of the United States.

Some issues the commission could explore would not only be actual recognition of the United States, but also what would happen if this recognition would occur.  Things such as divergence from actual history, the budget of Atlasia, the role of a GM, and the population and power of Atlasia in the international community should also be talked about.

I believe that the Senate would be able to make a much more informed decision on this matter once the commission issues its report.  Of course, the commission report woujld not become law unless the Senate enacts it, but it would certainly provide more information to the Senate.

Once again, I ask for a national discussion on this forum affairs matter.  I ask that all Senators, members of the executive branch, governors, candidates for all offices, and everyday Atlasians voice their opinion on this matter.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 08:35:39 PM »

Ugh, I'm torn between endorsing you and endorsing Keystone Phil. I probably agree with Phil on more economic issues, but I think you are close enough. Plus, The ATP kinda agrees more with the Republicans than with the Demcrats, but you are a decent candidate, and it would look good for the ATP to go across the aisle with endorsements. Fortunately, I won't have to decide. Good luck with the canpaign.

-SPC
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 11:09:56 AM »

Bump so the voters can see what I am campaigning for before the election.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies