Describe a climate change denier that votes Democrat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:46:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Describe a climate change denier that votes Democrat
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe a climate change denier that votes Democrat  (Read 672 times)
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 31, 2024, 11:47:21 PM »

?
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2024, 11:54:18 PM »

Nowadays not many but in past lots in coal industry as they were blue collar workers.  Perhaps maybe one in that industry that is worried GOP will privatize social security and medicare so votes Democrat to preserve those.  While Trump promises not to touch those, many others in party have.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 08:37:08 AM »
« Edited: February 07, 2024, 02:28:45 PM by wnwnwn »

Someome who is on the left on other issues.
Some people who think republicans did 9/11.
Black fundamentalist christian (part of a black churhc)?
mjba257
United States
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2024, 09:34:34 AM »

My former coworker. She's a 65 year old black woman who grew up in Jim Crowe South. Very distrustful of major institutions and is really into conspiracy theories. I regularly would her her listening to Alex Jones on her computer. Anyway, she got into an argument with a coworker about global warming, she said it was a CIA hoax while the other coworker (a middle aged black woman) thought it was a Chinese hoax. So they debated whether it was a CIA or Chinese hoax.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2024, 12:54:42 PM »

Climate change issue salience appears to be very much diminished by age, so probably some older Democrats don't care very much about it.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2024, 05:00:50 PM »

Nowadays not many but in past lots in coal industry as they were blue collar workers.  Perhaps maybe one in that industry that is worried GOP will privatize social security and medicare so votes Democrat to preserve those.  While Trump promises not to touch those, many others in party have.
I know this is a digression from the main point of the thread, but whenever coal mining comes up, I like to point out that:
1) In 2022, there were only about 40,000 coal miners remaining in the US, down by half from a decade earlier
2) The coal industry couldn't turn things around during the Trump years despite the most favorable administration and regulatory environment imaginable
3) Most coal is mined in the Rockies, not in Appalachia, in large part because open-pit mining is much less dangerous and labor-intensive.
4) US coal production and usage were at their peak in the late 1950s, and have been declining ever since.
Republican Party Stalwart
Stalwart_Grantist
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2024, 05:05:49 PM »

I know this is a digression from the main point of the thread, but whenever coal mining comes up, I like to point out that:
1) In 2022, there were only about 40,000 coal miners remaining in the US, down by half from a decade earlier
2) The coal industry couldn't turn things around during the Trump years despite the most favorable administration and regulatory environment imaginable
3) Most coal is mined in the Rockies, not in Appalachia, in large part because open-pit mining is much less dangerous and labor-intensive.
4) US coal production and usage were at their peak in the late 1950s, and have been declining ever since.

The thing is, in the realm of political demography, especially this context, "coal miners" should probably be expanded to include the spouses and immediate (if not extended) family members of coal miners, along with voters from "coal-mining families," voters from (traditionally) coal-mining (or coal industry-centric) communities, as well as voters who work in the coal industry (or in other industries intimately adjacent to the coal industry) but who are not necessarily literally in the mines themselves, not to mention a large proportion of former or laid-off coal miners.
Stalwart_Grantist
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2024, 05:28:02 PM »

He doesn't identify as a Democrat nor is he a consistent D voter, but my own left-liberal father is actually a climate change denier (at least in regards to the "global warming" aspect specifically). Ironically, he's been a registered Green Party member and his overall partisan identity has been Green for most of his adult (or at least for most of my) life; he sees global warming/climate change as a "distraction" from "real" environmental issues (clean tap water, physical pollutants, etc.) and from other progressive/left/liberal/social-justice causes. Or at least, these are what his views on climate change used to be, the issue has never been particularly important to him - I've only ever heard him speak about it a few times, the last I can remember being years ago - and considering that post-January 20 2017 (followed by post-January 6 2021) polarization has dramatically affected his worldview in a number of other ways, I wouldn't be surprised if his views on climate change are substantially different now, too.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2024, 06:52:41 PM »

The thing is, in the realm of political demography, especially this context, "coal miners" should probably be expanded to include the spouses and immediate (if not extended) family members of coal miners, along with voters from "coal-mining families," voters from (traditionally) coal-mining (or coal industry-centric) communities, as well as voters who work in the coal industry (or in other industries intimately adjacent to the coal industry) but who are not necessarily literally in the mines themselves, not to mention a large proportion of former or laid-off coal miners.

I mean even 4X that number is still tiny relative to the electorate and very concentrated in non-swing states.

TBH, this board tends to really overemphasize political issues from the pretty distant past- coal, Catholic immigrant vs. WASP stuff, support and opposition to New Deal programs, unions as a significant % of the electorate, etc.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2024, 03:50:22 PM »

Taylor Swift doesn't speak climate change denier views, but she uses a private jet more than it is necessary
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2024, 04:10:05 PM »

Taylor Swift doesn't speak climate change denier views, but she uses a private jet more than it is necessary

TRUE.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2024, 07:59:08 AM »

The bigger issue is the actual climate change conferences being held in-person in exotic locales with 1000's of people flying in.  It looks so unserious.  The annual COP meetings should be as close to 100% virtual as possible, maybe allow 1 in-person representative from each country if they need to vote on something.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2024, 05:10:36 PM »

Former Atlas user and total creepo Snowyguy. Tbf, he's probably not voting for anything now...but he would if he could.
Stalwart_Grantist
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2024, 03:45:23 AM »

Former Atlas user and total creepo Snowyguy. Tbf, he's probably not voting for anything now...but he would if he could.

Because of death, or because of conviction of certain crime(s)?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies