Which of these events had the biggest lasting impact?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:46:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Which of these events had the biggest lasting impact?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
9/11

Global Financial Crisis/Great Recession

COVID-19

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 8

Author Topic: Which of these events had the biggest lasting impact?  (Read 59 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 31, 2024, 11:41:05 AM »

Based on the other thread. These are the top events I subjectively consider to have had the biggest and longest-lasting impact in my lifetime. Here's how I would rank them, from most to least-lasting:

1. GFC/Great Recession - Totally challenged the neoliberal consensus of the '80s and '90s and made way for the rise of economic populism on both the left and right. We still feel the political effects of it now, and I expect that we will continue to for years to come.

2. 9/11 - Very close second. Made societies a lot more concerned about national security for the long term. Continued political turmoil in especially the Middle East.

3. COVID-19 - Had the most direct short-term impact, but the more time passes, the less effect it will have. I sense that most people just kind of want to go about life as if it never happened. Its effects still linger in that it's endemic now, and the heart and lung damage will never go away for some people and the immunocompromised have the most reason to worry about possible spikes today. Other than that, people are sick of talking about it and having to wear MASKS everywhere they go.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies