Native Hawaiian vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:08:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Native Hawaiian vote
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Native Hawaiian vote  (Read 292 times)
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 31, 2024, 12:37:14 AM »

Hawaii is a solid blue state, but GOP usually wins Niihau which is 100% Hawaiian so wondering if Democrats usually wins here or did they vote GOP unlike rest of state and what would approximate breakdown be?  Kind of tough as most precincts are mixed and few where overwhelming majority but any correlation or guess?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2024, 01:41:35 AM »

Niʻihau is not representative of the Native Hawaiʻian community at all.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 02:17:57 AM »

I figured it wasn't as lopsided but still curious if GOP won here or if went Democrat.  Pretty sure Trump did better amongst Native Hawaiians than he did overall in state.  Guessing probably similar to Filipino community which appears Biden won, but Trump got north of 40%.  It seems Japanese the most heavily Democrat ethnic group in Hawaii while whites pretty close to overall average.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2024, 11:59:01 AM »

Republicans have historically done much better with Native Hawaiians than any other group in Hawai'i. Specifically if you look at candidates and who is in the state legislature, Native Hawaiians tend to be more prominent in the Republican Party (Brandon Awa, Duke Aiona, etc.).

On a personal level the Native Hawaiian people I know are all very left leaning, but they are all college-educated and generally Native Hawaiians are the least college-educated group in Hawai'i. Also they tend to be more religious although there isn't a set religious preference like in other Pacific Island communities.

Finally, I think turnout for Native Hawaiians is just... low as with most groups in Hawai'i so as we saw when low-propensity voters turned out in 2020, they tend to be more conservative, just less interested in voting overall.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2024, 12:58:40 PM »

I figured it wasn't as lopsided but still curious if GOP won here or if went Democrat.  Pretty sure Trump did better amongst Native Hawaiians than he did overall in state.  Guessing probably similar to Filipino community which appears Biden won, but Trump got north of 40%.  It seems Japanese the most heavily Democrat ethnic group in Hawaii while whites pretty close to overall average.

The Filipino community is quite religious, so I would expect them to be more Republican. I think a substantial percentage of Native Hawaiians are Mormon (centered around Laie, where BYU has a campus), so that is likely to have a significant effect as well.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 02:06:03 PM »

I figured it wasn't as lopsided but still curious if GOP won here or if went Democrat.  Pretty sure Trump did better amongst Native Hawaiians than he did overall in state.  Guessing probably similar to Filipino community which appears Biden won, but Trump got north of 40%.  It seems Japanese the most heavily Democrat ethnic group in Hawaii while whites pretty close to overall average.

The Filipino community is quite religious, so I would expect them to be more Republican. I think a substantial percentage of Native Hawaiians are Mormon (centered around Laie, where BYU has a campus), so that is likely to have a significant effect as well.

I am guessing Biden still won Native Hawaiian vote but Trump probably did better amongst them than he did amongst state overall.  Guessing amongst both Filipinos and Hawaiians he got over 40% whereas amongst whites probably in 30s while Japanese I believe are most Democratic in Hawaii so Biden likely got over 70% amongst them and Trump only in 20s.  Chinese and Hispanics I believe are somewhat more Democrat than whites but not quite to extent of Japanese while Koreans similar to whites in split.  African-Americans off course most Democrat group in Hawaii but only 2% of population so not huge and with less racial divides and many in military, I suspect Trump probably did better amongst Blacks in Hawaii than he did nationally even if lost them badly.  I doubt there was any ethnic group Trump won in Hawaii, but Filipinos and Hawaiians were probably his best.  Bush in 2004 is probably last time GOP won any group in Hawaii.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2024, 06:37:42 PM »

mileslunn do you have any sources for your claims re: Hawaii voter group tendencies?

Chinese Hawaiians were historically more R than Japanese or Filipino Hawaiians due to their relative pre-statehood upward mobility out of plantation labor and possibly also in response to Japanese bloc voting later on? To my knowledge there are Filipino ethnoburbs of Honolulu as well as Japanese ones.

My intuition is that Hawaiian Filipinos are somewhat more D/less R than Native Hawaiians, but this is entirely based on my RL interactions with Filipino Hawaiians who moved to the mainland US for school and work. However, this 2020 pre-election poll has the Native Hawaiian crosstab as being more D than the Japanese, Filipino, and Chinese crosstabs (listed in order of decreasing D margin).
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2024, 07:03:13 PM »

mileslunn do you have any sources for your claims re: Hawaii voter group tendencies?

Chinese Hawaiians were historically more R than Japanese or Filipino Hawaiians due to their relative pre-statehood upward mobility out of plantation labor and possibly also in response to Japanese bloc voting later on? To my knowledge there are Filipino ethnoburbs of Honolulu as well as Japanese ones.

My intuition is that Hawaiian Filipinos are somewhat more D/less R than Native Hawaiians, but this is entirely based on my RL interactions with Filipino Hawaiians who moved to the mainland US for school and work. However, this 2020 pre-election poll has the Native Hawaiian crosstab as being more D than the Japanese, Filipino, and Chinese crosstabs (listed in order of decreasing D margin).

Mine are more based on precinct results and guesses from those.  Chinese I am guessing are like on mainland as they used to be GOP, I believe even Bob Dole won them, but have swung massively Democrat in past 20 years.  A lot are college educated but with above average incomes and that cohort used to go GOP but has swung Democrat.  So on Chinese more guessing based on how they vote in other states with actual data like California. 

With Whites, I have Fox News exit poll but also looked at some heavily white precincts and ironically that was one part of Hawaii Romney outperformed Trump and perhaps only group he did better amongst.

Native Hawaiians I know tend to be fairly religious and looking at precincts seems GOP did better in precincts where they are large in numbers but still voted for Biden.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies