How do the following denominations vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:05:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How do the following denominations vote?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How do the following denominations vote?  (Read 424 times)
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 30, 2024, 11:04:42 PM »

-Congregationalists
-Episcopalians
-Quakers
-Unitarians

All denominations that were prominent at various times between the early 17th century and the late 19th century, but now have relatively few adherents.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 11:49:10 PM »

Congregationalist - GOP big time

Episcopalians - Lean GOP, but like mainline Protestants probably mid to upper 50s GOP, low 40s Democrat

Quakers - Solid GOP, about 2/3 GOP, 1/3 Democrat is my guess

Unitarians - Democrat as very secular and liberal
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 12:07:03 AM »

Unitarians are overwhelmingly democratic, only outpaced by historically black churches

Episcopalians are safely democratic

Congregationalists are hard as there aren’t a “denomination” but rather a system of church governmental. United Church of Christ, the largest Congregationalist denomination is overwhelmingly democratic.

I couldn’t find any good data about Quakers. John Hickenlooper is a Quaker if that means anything

Source, it’s old so take it with some salt
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2024, 12:20:12 AM »

Unitarians are overwhelmingly democratic, only outpaced by historically black churches

Congregationalists are hard as there aren’t a “denomination” but rather a system of church governmental. United Church of Christ, the largest Congregationalist denomination is overwhelmingly democratic.

I couldn’t find any good data about Quakers. John Hickenlooper is a Quaker if that means anything

Are Episcopalians mostly African-American?  Reading about religion seemed quite conservative so only way go heavily Democrat is if most African-American.

Congregationalist - not familiar with each branch but I know in Canada, United Church is quite large and they tend to vote for NDP who is on left.  But I figured Methodists and Presbyterians (if in this group) are heavily GOP.  Lutherans definitely GOP although some mix as most either German-American (which GOP dominate) or Scandinavian-American (which used to go Democrat but now more mixed).  Anglican probably mixed I presume. 

Quakers I put as GOP as they settled in Pennsylvania so my guess is mostly found in rural parts which are solidly GOP.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2024, 01:08:16 AM »

Are Episcopalians mostly African-American?  Reading about religion seemed quite conservative so only way go heavily Democrat is if most African-American.

Congregationalist - not familiar with each branch but I know in Canada, United Church is quite large and they tend to vote for NDP who is on left.  But I figured Methodists and Presbyterians (if in this group) are heavily GOP.  Lutherans definitely GOP although some mix as most either German-American (which GOP dominate) or Scandinavian-American (which used to go Democrat but now more mixed).  Anglican probably mixed I presume. 

Quakers I put as GOP as they settled in Pennsylvania so my guess is mostly found in rural parts which are solidly GOP.

I’m not sure where you are reading but Episcopalians are one of the most socially liberal churches in America today. They have numerous women bishops, and have installed openly gay bishops since 2003, and have had several since.

Also Presbyterians and Methodists are not Congregationalists. They have hierarchies whereas Congregationalists are largely independent and have church wide votes for most issues.

The Missouri Synod, the largest Lutheran group, is one of the most republicans in the nation (in 2016)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2024, 02:08:02 AM »
« Edited: January 31, 2024, 02:36:12 AM by King of Kensington »

Congregationalist - not familiar with each branch but I know in Canada, United Church is quite large and they tend to vote for NDP who is on left.  

United Church members don't vote for the NDP although there is a saying that the United Church is "the NDP at prayer" and it's the church most closely associated with the Social Gospel (though interestingly Tommy Douglas was a Baptist).  

There were more studies in the past of denominations than there are now, but when the PCs were around, they preferred the PCs (back when there was a stronger Protestant-Catholic cleavage in politics).  A segment voted NDP but the NDP always did best with the non-religious. 
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2024, 02:33:52 AM »

According to the Pew Religious Landscape study:

Episcopalians  49-39 D
United Church of Christ  58-31 D
Unitarians  84-14 D

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2016/02/23/u-s-religious-groups-and-their-political-leanings/

Tiger08
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2024, 07:20:24 PM »

All Dem, but Episcopalians used to be Rockefeller Rs
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2024, 09:01:10 PM »

According to the Pew Religious Landscape study:

Episcopalians  49-39 D
United Church of Christ  58-31 D
Unitarians  84-14 D

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2016/02/23/u-s-religious-groups-and-their-political-leanings/

IMO the important takeaway here is that even the most stereotypically liberal Protestant denominations are still pretty narrowly Dem, while the stereotypically conservative churches are like 3:1 Republican!  Only the historically black churches are near unanimously Dem. 

I'm not sure, but I would guess the somewhat surprising Dem plurality with Catholics is due to Hispanics?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2024, 09:18:25 PM »

Are Episcopalians mostly African-American? 

No.

If you're thinking of the African Methodist Episcopal Church, they're Methodist, not Episcopalian.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2024, 09:28:08 PM »

I wonder what percentage of Episcopalians live in the South.  They're more associated with the Northeast elite but the South is the most English region (and the largest population of the four regions). 
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2024, 09:50:03 PM »

I wonder what percentage of Episcopalians live in the South.  They're more associated with the Northeast elite but the South is the most English region (and the largest population of the four regions). 

It's substantial.  Doubly so if you account for both Episcopalians and Methodists being Anglican-descended.  They have faded, but not to anywhere near the degree the NE Congregationalists have.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2024, 10:59:57 PM »

41.7% live in the South

https://www.thearda.com/us-religion/group-profiles/groups?D=295
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2024, 02:04:33 AM »

I’d wager outside of Lutherans, every Protestant denomination has a plurality in the south.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2024, 07:37:18 AM »

Congregationalists: majority Democratic, but with a substantial Republican minority. I believe that there are some pockets of Congregationalist strength in the rural Midwest and on the Plains (as a legacy of the substantial New England settlement of these areas), which I imagine are pretty Republican. Even in the largely Democratic Congregationalist heartlands of New England, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a current of older, more conservative Yankees who are Congregationalists because that was the 'default' establishment Protestant denomination in much of the region.

Episcopalians: pretty evenly divided, probably with a slight Democratic lean these days. It's worth bearing in mind that the leadership is much more liberal than the membership, which is quite old and Southern.

Quakers: I think that American Quakers actually have a substantial conservative current, in contrast to, say, Britain, where they are overwhelmingly progressive -- for a notorious example, see Nixon's famously puritanical mother. So, again, clearly Democratic on the whole, but with a non-negligible Republican share. (I imagine there's something of a divide between more recent converts, probably drawn by the denomination's unique liberal reputation, and longstanding members, who may well include the descendants of the Hoovers and the Nixons of the Quaker world.)

Unitarians: overwhelmingly Democratic. I think that, to put it extremely uncharitably, much of contemporary Unitarianism is more akin to a progressive lifestylist social club than a religion.
GAinDC

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2024, 12:36:19 PM »

Congregationalists: majority Democratic, but with a substantial Republican minority. I believe that there are some pockets of Congregationalist strength in the rural Midwest and on the Plains (as a legacy of the substantial New England settlement of these areas), which I imagine are pretty Republican. Even in the largely Democratic Congregationalist heartlands of New England, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a current of older, more conservative Yankees who are Congregationalists because that was the 'default' establishment Protestant denomination in much of the region.

Episcopalians: pretty evenly divided, probably with a slight Democratic lean these days. It's worth bearing in mind that the leadership is much more liberal than the membership, which is quite old and Southern.

Quakers: I think that American Quakers actually have a substantial conservative current, in contrast to, say, Britain, where they are overwhelmingly progressive -- for a notorious example, see Nixon's famously puritanical mother. So, again, clearly Democratic on the whole, but with a non-negligible Republican share. (I imagine there's something of a divide between more recent converts, probably drawn by the denomination's unique liberal reputation, and longstanding members, who may well include the descendants of the Hoovers and the Nixons of the Quaker world.)

Unitarians: overwhelmingly Democratic. I think that, to put it extremely uncharitably, much of contemporary Unitarianism is more akin to a progressive lifestylist social club than a religion.

I grew up in the Episcopal Church, and even in my conservative, southern town, our congregation was pretty far to the left. relatively speaking.

Where I live now in DC, the Episcopal Churches have a very strong LGBTQ outreach and social justice initiatives.

So, overall, I'd say Episcopalians lean heavily Dem.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2024, 12:54:18 PM »

Here is a thread about how Episcopalians vote from 2022: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=518755.0
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2024, 02:30:31 PM »

Huh I guess I started that thread and forgot about it.  So Jews and Episcopalians don't vote all that differently at this point. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies