Ilhan Omar -‘As Somalis, one day we will go after our missing territories.’
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:42:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ilhan Omar -‘As Somalis, one day we will go after our missing territories.’
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Ilhan Omar -‘As Somalis, one day we will go after our missing territories.’  (Read 3895 times)
AtorBoltox

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 28, 2024, 09:42:47 AM »

AtorBoltox

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2024, 09:43:45 AM »

Yes, the source is a tweet, but this hasn’t been picked up in the media at all yet. Unsurprisingly not many Washington post columnists speak Somali or follow Somali diaspora community events
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2024, 09:46:50 AM »

Any US elected official who uses their position to pursue the interests of their ethnic homelands should be deported. If your main focus is Israel or Cuba or Ireland or Palestine, go live there.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2024, 09:58:56 AM »

What gets me the most about this is how her and fellow Islamists posture as ‘anti-war’ to the western progressives when in reality their complaints are that their nationalist irredentist causes aren’t winning
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2024, 10:05:29 AM »

This seems on the far edge of something she might say (and would be utterly unacceptable from a sitting US member of Congress), but a source other than xitter is needed before taking it seriously. Deepfakes are a thing, and so are out-of-context edits. Xitter has less credibility than 4chan.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2024, 10:15:10 AM »

This seems on the far edge of something she might say (and would be utterly unacceptable from a sitting US member of Congress), but a source other than xitter is needed before taking it seriously. Deepfakes are a thing, and so are out-of-context edits. Xitter has less credibility than 4chan.
https://youtu.be/LAzv4bVr7E0?si=WHv4m08tjkrvbpR8 Longer Video here, but again all in Somali. I hope the congresswoman will come forth to provide an explanation but I strongly suspect she’ll studiously ignore the existence of this video and hope it doesn’t get picked up on by the mainstream press
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2024, 10:19:17 AM »

Just awful. If this is true, she should resign.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2024, 10:25:50 AM »

It’s important to note that in the twitter replies of this and other posts, where the contributions are made overwhelmingly by Somalis, no one is claiming this translation is inaccurate or she’s been taken out of context. In fact, Somali irredentists are praising her. It is not going to prove tenable to argue she said something else
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2024, 10:27:12 AM »

I guess it's no different than Irish-American politicians cheering for the IRA. Pretty cringe and worthy of criticism, but hardly unique.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2024, 10:37:42 AM »

Any US elected official who uses their position to pursue the interests of their ethnic homelands should be deported. If your main focus is Israel or Cuba or Ireland or Palestine, go live there.

Problem is this isn't fairly enforced. When a politician puts Somalia over America most people are rightfully upset, when politicians put Israel over America we can't say anything or we get called a bigot.

Anyways this is deplorable. She is American. "Our" should only be used in reference to America, not a foreign country.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2024, 11:10:06 AM »
« Edited: January 28, 2024, 11:38:24 AM by FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦 »

Meh, there are many more bigger problems out there to worry about instead of this. Come back to me when she tries overthrowing the government to have an explicit pro-Somali FP or something, other than that, IDGAF.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2024, 11:13:52 AM »

I guess that phrase is a little aggressive but it does not really seem like a huge violation of existing norms? Omar's said way worse things about unrelated issues.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2024, 11:24:36 AM »

What gets me the most about this is how her and fellow Islamists posture as ‘anti-war’ to the western progressives when in reality their complaints are that their nationalist irredentist causes aren’t winning

Only American and European imperialism is bad.
All other imperialisms (Russian, Chinese, Somali, etc.) are good.
Electric Circus
United States
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2024, 11:47:35 AM »

I guess it's no different than Irish-American politicians cheering for the IRA. Pretty cringe and worthy of criticism, but hardly unique.

This was my gut reaction, too, but so far Omar hasn't gone one-tenth as far as someone like Pete King did.

Many prominent Irish-Americans went much further than cheering on the IRA: They openly abetted acts of terrorism, and mostly got away with it because it wasn't politically convenient to do anything about it.
Ricardian1485
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2024, 11:54:14 AM »

They already tried going after those territories and the consequences were catastrophic for their country and are still being felt today. Why would they do it again?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2024, 12:49:53 PM »

This was my gut reaction, too, but so far Omar hasn't gone one-tenth as far as someone like Pete King did.

Many prominent Irish-Americans went much further than cheering on the IRA: They openly abetted acts of terrorism, and mostly got away with it because it wasn't politically convenient to do anything about it.

That's true. It's actually utterly wild that we had elected officials essentially sponsoring terrorism against arguably the US' closest ally and it wasn't a major scandal. I'm as sympathetic to the Irirsh Republican cause as they come, but this is really not a precedent we should have set.

Either way, this makes me a bit suspicious of people who are now acting like Omar saying this is the ultimate proof of her "un-Americanness" or something, when it doesn't seem like they've ever held Americans of European ancestry to the same standard. Of course it's still worthy of criticism, though.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2024, 12:55:03 PM »

That's true. It's actually utterly wild that we had elected officials essentially sponsoring terrorism against arguably the US' closest ally and it wasn't a major scandal. I'm as sympathetic to the Irirsh Republican cause as they come, but this is really not a precedent we should have set.

Either way, this makes me a bit suspicious of people who are now acting like Omar saying this is the ultimate proof of her "un-Americanness" or something, when it doesn't seem like they've ever held Americans of European ancestry to the same standard. Of course it's still worthy of criticism, though.

Ilhan Omar has accused American soldiers of being terrorists , downplayed 9/11 , and is clearly has shown she’s sympathetic to Islamists

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2024, 01:02:44 PM »

"We"? I thought she was American?

As an elected official, I think this is extremely bad wording though hardly a surprise from her. You can be invoke your heritage of course as America is a nation of immigrants, though first and a foremost a public official elected in the United States should be loyal to the United States and refer to "we" only as for Americans. Otherwise, you don't belong in congress in my view. Hopefully she's finally primaried out next time and Democrats get a good challenger.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2024, 01:04:34 PM »

Ilhan Omar has accused American soldiers of being terrorists , downplayed 9/11 , and is clearly has shown she’s sympathetic to Islamists

That's not what's being talked about in this thread.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2024, 01:40:19 PM »

American congressman literally funded the IRA. Biden makes quips about hating the BBC all the time. The Pearl clutching is cause she’s brown.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2024, 01:43:55 PM »

The fact that she was ever allowed into this country is a disgrace.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2024, 01:54:29 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2024, 01:57:45 PM by FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦 »

The fact that she was ever allowed into this country is a disgrace.

Based on what exactly? Being a Somali? Being a Muslim? Or perhaps not being white enough for you Green Line? Because frankly, a quick look into her early life on Wiki shows no compelling reason to turn her away other than perhaps her father working under the Barre regime.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2024, 01:54:48 PM »

And even though the IRA was usually in the right, that was awful and they should've been expelled.
Flats the Flounder
Rookie
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2024, 01:56:49 PM »

Ethnonationalism, no matter where you come from, is cringe
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2024, 01:57:40 PM »

Ethnonationalism, no matter where you come from, is cringe

Ethnonationalism is an absolute scourge on the planet.

Civic nationalism otoh, is more necessary than ever before in America. If we were more civically nationalist there'd be a lot more effort on both sides to pass stuff like universal healthcare.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies