SB: 119-11: Atlasian Steel Act--Passed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 02:29:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB: 119-11: Atlasian Steel Act--Passed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: SB: 119-11: Atlasian Steel Act--Passed  (Read 928 times)
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2024, 11:17:13 PM »
« edited: February 07, 2024, 11:54:49 PM by Whip of Peace Christian Man »

Withdrawing final vote motion. Proposing a new amendment.

1. All steel manufacturers in Lincoln and Fremont are brought into public ownership immediately upon passage of this act and shall be placed under the control of an Atlasian Steel Authority.

2. To complete the undertaking as outlined above, the Republic of Atlasia shall establish an Atlasian Steel Authority (hereafter ASA) which shall be comprised of all former privately-held steel companies and shall hold a legal monopoly in these sectors.

3. The purpose of the aforementioned ASA shall be the economization of operations and the modernization of production methods to raise safety and efficiency standards across the country, as well as provide steel at a low cost, prevent competitive waste, and co-ordinate research and development in those sectors.

4. The government of the ASA shall be federal and cooperative. In each region Lincoln and Fremont will be established a regional steel authority under a board of directors composed of representatives of labor, the consumers, security, and the environment. The number of labor directors shall be four, and the number of directors for all other constituencies shall be two. Each regional authority will elect five representatives to the national board of directors. Two of the national directors elected by each regional authority shall represent labor, and one each shall represent the consumers, security, and the environment.

5. The labor directors shall be chosen by a vote of the steel workers; the consumer directors by a vote of the regional legislature, the security and environment directors by the regional executive at the regional level and by the president at the federal level.

6. The term of a Board director shall be four years.

7. The President shall appoint a Chair of the ASA Board of Directors who shall have no vote unless they are equally divided. The Chair shall serve a four year term.

8. All persons owning any of the aforementioned industry brought into public ownership shall be fairly compensated for the sale of said industries to the Republic of Atlasia.

Implementation:
9. Following a simple majority vote from the senate, this bill will be voted on by the people within Lincoln and Fremont during the next scheduled regional election with a simple majority required for implementation.

Object, people already can decide over this by electing who they want in the senate. This is a representative democracy.

You may as well abolish the senate.

This wouldn't be the first piece of legislation that was decided by the people.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2024, 11:19:07 PM »

1. All steel manufacturers in Lincoln and Fremont are brought into public ownership immediately upon passage of this act and shall be placed under the control of an Atlasian Steel Authority.

2. To complete the undertaking as outlined above, the Republic of Atlasia shall establish an Atlasian Steel Authority (hereafter ASA) which shall be comprised of all former privately-held steel companies and shall hold a legal monopoly in these sectors.

3. The purpose of the aforementioned ASA shall be the economization of operations and the modernization of production methods to raise safety and efficiency standards across the country, as well as provide steel at a low cost, prevent competitive waste, and co-ordinate research and development in those sectors.

4. The government of the ASA shall be federal and cooperative. In each region Lincoln and Fremont will be established a regional steel authority under a board of directors composed of representatives of labor, the consumers, security, and the environment. The number of labor directors shall be four, and the number of directors for all other constituencies shall be two. Each regional authority will elect five representatives to the national board of directors. Two of the national directors elected by each regional authority shall represent labor, and one each shall represent the consumers, security, and the environment.

5. The labor directors shall be chosen by a vote of the steel workers; the consumer directors by a vote of the regional legislature, the security and environment directors by the regional executive at the regional level and by the president at the federal level.

7. The President shall appoint a Chair of the ASA Board of Directors who shall have no vote unless they are equally divided. The Chair shall serve a four year term.

8. All persons owning any of the aforementioned industry brought into public ownership shall be fairly compensated for the sale of said industries to the Republic of Atlasia.

Implementation:
9. Following a simple majority vote from the senate, this bill will be voted on by the people within Lincoln and Fremont during the next scheduled regional election with a simple majority required for implementation.

Object, people already can decide over this by electing who they want in the senate. This is a representative democracy.

My objection stands. So we will vote over this.

Besides not a good idea to cluster a million referenda, would only depress turnout. And there are already a ton of checks and balances.

The senate should keep a little more meaning...

If people don't like what we do in the senate, than vote us out. They already have a vote. They should use it.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2024, 11:22:26 PM »

Besides, we already voted to amend it, and the amendment passed.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2024, 11:25:51 PM »

Well as long as no one is going to bother explaining why this was centralist trash, is centralist trash, and will always be centralist trash no matter its form:

That's an opinion and I and many others disagree, and also made that clear numerous times in the past.

You see, unlike you, several of the Senators who will vote for this bill in its current form have opposed it in the past on exactly the grounds I am raising.

The government won't save anyone on this, and the economic experts won't save anyone on this. You yourself have provided examples of policies that would actually help the steel industry, which can be done without making the entire industry dependent on a government that has failed them and us whenever it tries to interfere directly. But this WD and OBD bill is all people can think about at this point because Wulfric decided to turn it into a meme along with his insane McDonalds hateboner.
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2024, 11:26:46 PM »

Implementation:

Besides not a good idea to cluster a million referenda, would only depress turnout. And there are already a ton of checks and balances.

If people don't like what we do in the senate, than vote us out. They already have a vote. They should use it.
This is not proposing a bill to vote on everything the senate passes. This applies specifically to this bill. From my understanding Reagente's amendment was to prevent the South from having nationalized steel. I kept the South's exempt in my amendment as a result. This is a different issue.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2024, 11:28:25 PM »

Implementation:

This is not proposing a bill to vote on everything the senate passes. This applies specifically to this bill. From my understanding Reagente's amendment was to prevent the South from having nationalized steel. I kept the South's exempt in my amendment as a result. This is a different issue.

The amendment that just passed striked that section too. And i voted in favor of the amendment, and i don't want it to be re-introduced.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2024, 11:30:00 PM »

Well as long as no one is going to bother explaining why this was centralist trash, is centralist trash, and will always be centralist trash no matter its form:

That's an opinion and I and many others disagree, and also made that clear numerous times in the past.

You see, unlike you, several of the Senators who will vote for this bill in its current form have opposed it in the past on exactly the grounds I am raising, and even provided.

The government won't save anyone on this, and the economic experts won't save anyone on this. You yourself have provided examples of policies that would actually help the steel industry, which can be done without making the entire industry dependent on a government that has failed them and us whenever it tries to interfere directly. But this WD and OBD bill is all people can think about at this point because Wulfric decided to turn it into a meme along with his insane McDonalds hateboner.

Peoples opinion can change, and they don't really care about what happens in Fremont & Lincoln. On top of that the composition of the senate is now different, they might vote differently

With regards to the economic experts, they can be wrong too. There are a lot of experts who will say that denationalizing the steel industry was a bad decision, you make it sound like it's a unanimous opinion but it's absolutely not.

The results are clear, the steel industry has declined since denationalization so it's not like it was the solution either.

I'm not gonna change your opinion, but it has been introduced, i'm advocating for the bill and i want it too pass, and i want to have a vote over it.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2024, 11:42:00 PM »

Peoples opinion can change, and they don't really care about what happens in Fremont & Lincoln.

Three of them were elected at-large and all of them were elected to the federal Senate, caring about what happens in Frémont and Lincoln is in their job description.

On top of that the composition of the senate is now different, they might vote differently

LOL. People's convictions change because the composition of the Senate is different?

With regards to the economic experts, they can be wrong too. There are a lot of experts who will say that denationalizing the steel industry was a bad decision, you make it sound like it's a unanimous opinion but it's absolutely not.

You said upthread that "the economic experts" should have the proper authority over this. I'm not the one hiding behind them here.

The results are clear, the steel industry has declined since denationalization so it's not like it was the solution either.

If you think I am arguing for the status quo of our steel industry you clearly haven't read anything I have ever said about this. You agree, and I agree, that there are ways to have steel recover without nationalization, like you proposed:

We should increase tax on importing steel from China and make our steel ourselves to protect domestic jobs and stimulate our own industries. Our goal is not to make more revenue as the government, it is to ensure that the economy is booming again, which in their turn would reduce welfare payments and other expenses the other government has, because people will be less reliable on us with a succesful steel industry. And this in turn creates freedom.

This is the way how one creates a healthy government balance.

Notice: this is not an argument for nationalizing steel!

I would go bang my head against the wall but then I might risk ending up like this Senate where they apparently don't have the brainpower to think about any corrective measures apart from this one.
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2024, 11:45:21 PM »

The Christian Man amendment has been withdrawn. Debate will resume.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2024, 11:49:01 PM »

Peoples opinion can change, and they don't really care about what happens in Fremont & Lincoln.

Three of them were elected at-large and all of them were elected to the federal Senate, caring about what happens in Frémont and Lincoln is in their job description.

That's not my responsability, that's theirs. If you want to criticize that, that's fine but i've consistently voted in favour of this.

On top of that the composition of the senate is now different, they might vote differently

LOL. People's convictions change because the composition of the Senate is different?

With "they" i meant senate, and composition changes in the senate are driven by elections. It means the people want nationalized steel, because they might have voted for the left so that steel would be nationalized. That's the purpose of an election.

You said upthread that "the economic experts" should have the proper authority over this. I'm not the one hiding behind them here.

Yes i said, the economic experts are with me. They seem to disagree with you, i think i made that clear in the past.

If you think I am arguing for the status quo of our steel industry you clearly haven't read anything I have ever said about this. You agree, and I agree, that there are ways to have steel recover without nationalization, like you proposed:

And i think nationalization is the best way move forward on top of other measures as well

We should increase tax on importing steel from China and make our steel ourselves to protect domestic jobs and stimulate our own industries. Our goal is not to make more revenue as the government, it is to ensure that the economy is booming again, which in their turn would reduce welfare payments and other expenses the other government has, because people will be less reliable on us with a succesful steel industry. And this in turn creates freedom.

I would go bang my head against the wall but then I might risk ending up like this Senate where they apparently don't have the brainpower to think about any corrective measures apart from this one.

Like that one - as quoted, by increasing tariffs and taxing imported steel. But in the quote i also said, "make our steel ourselves".

Big businesses don't always have the interest of the nation and people in mind, just look at Facebook and social media today. Literally showing pedophiles the way to child pornography.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2024, 12:02:33 AM »

That's not my responsability, that's theirs. If you want to criticize that, that's fine but i've consistently voted in favour of this.

With "they" i meant senate, and composition changes in the senate are driven by elections. It means the people want nationalized steel, because they might have voted for the left so that steel would be nationalized. That's the purpose of an election.

Yes i said, the economic experts are with me. They seem to disagree with you, i think i made that clear in the past.

And i think nationalization is the best way move forward on top of other measures as well

Like that one - as quoted, by increasing tariffs and taxing imported steel. But in the quote i also said, "make our steel ourselves".

Big businesses don't always have the interest of the nation and people in mind, just look at Facebook and social media today. Literally showing pedophiles the way to child pornography.

Don't worry, I am very on board with criticizing their about-turn on this and anyone who feels the need to jump to their defense on this.

New drinking game: take a shot every time Laki gives a different opinion on economic experts. First they're right, then they might be wrong, then they always agree with him.

Not even going to respond to the big business canard. Are you going to tell Tack and Scott and Yankee that they're in the pocket of big business because they want a rescue plan that doesn't require us to create a money sink for ourselves?

It means the people want nationalized steel, because they might have voted for the left so that steel would be nationalized. That's the purpose of an election.

And frankly this is even more offensive of an opinion than everything else that's been said so far. Literally adopting Labor's Downfall mindset wholesale, they defended everything they did with "THE PEOPLE WANT US." Fits considering they came up with this bill in the first place, I suppose.

Should I assume that you wanted Downfall to happen because you voted for OBD? No, I shouldn't.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2024, 12:07:24 AM »

You will EAT THE BUGS.

You will SLEEP in the PODS.

You will PASS the OBD AGENDA.

(I return in June. Do not disappoint me.)
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2024, 12:11:29 AM »

Keep up, old man, I already signed this into law!
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2024, 10:50:54 PM »

Motioning for a final vote
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2024, 06:35:21 PM »

No objection.
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2024, 10:50:40 PM »

A final vote has been activated

Nay
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2024, 10:56:04 PM »

Will be interesting to see if this passes.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2024, 12:25:07 AM »

Aye
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2024, 12:51:44 AM »

abstain
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2024, 07:37:57 AM »

Nay
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2024, 10:44:16 AM »

Aye
RFayette 🇻🇦
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2024, 10:53:44 AM »

Aye
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2024, 11:18:22 AM »

Aye
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2024, 01:03:33 PM »

Aye
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2024, 11:49:37 PM »

Aye(s) 5: MB, Reagente, RFayette, LordRichard, Fhtagn
Nay(s) 2: Chrstian Man, LT,
Abstain 1: WB
Not voting:
The bill passes.

Wall of shame:
AFE: 7
Muaddib, TPH, Jay, Pyro, Nerd, TimTurner, Adam Griffin, Razze: 1

I believe this still has another day left before the final vote ends (96 hours).
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies