Is the ego Satanic?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:55:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is the ego Satanic?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is the ego Satanic?  (Read 542 times)
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 22, 2024, 06:23:52 AM »

If all glory is to go to God, including the accomplishments of an individual, then is that person claiming credit for those accomplishments acting through their ego being led astray from God?

Obviously there is a need for self interest for individual survival, but I think if humans could remain humble there would be many less problems in the world.

Not that there aren't other human fallibilities and not that I'm perfect by any means (obviously), but I think the ego is dangerous.

I've often spoken out here against the dangers of national myths. I think many myths are the result of human ego as well at the macro level. I.E "America is exceptional!"

Of course, I don't think it's a surprise that a person like me with very little ambition would be more likely to express these views. So, maybe it's important for people with ambition to have a greater ego and clearly very little would get done in the world without ambitious people.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 09:32:09 AM »

The separation of the Self from the rest of consciousness is, almost by definition, the root cause of all evil. Without this distinction, evil wouldn't even be conceivable, as our desires would be in line with everyone else's. Of course, at the same time, the Self is still a fragment of the universal consciousness, so it would do us no good to deny it or try to suppress it. All we can do is make a conscious effort to try to see our Self reflected in the experiences of others, and try to feel about those experiences like we feel about our own.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 10:18:24 PM »

I guess it depends on your definition of "ego" but remember, Jesus said to treat others as you'd like to be treated... and I don't think Jesus's assumption here is that you should treat yourself terribly. Some self-love is healthy and necessary.

The separation of the Self from the rest of consciousness is, almost by definition, the root cause of all evil. Without this distinction, evil wouldn't even be conceivable, as our desires would be in line with everyone else's. Of course, at the same time, the Self is still a fragment of the universal consciousness, so it would do us no good to deny it or try to suppress it. All we can do is make a conscious effort to try to see our Self reflected in the experiences of others, and try to feel about those experiences like we feel about our own.
I'm not sure I agree with this.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2024, 10:59:29 AM »

The ego as a sense of self-awareness is a God-given faculty, but as the Devil doesn't create he perverts these faculties to lead us away from God. In this case, the ego is used to foment a desire for praise from men that replaces God, the proper referent of our actions.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2024, 12:31:35 PM »

That is what my brother says - I see his argument, but don't totally believe it myself, although I'll admit I haven't dug into the concept much.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2024, 11:24:43 PM »

The ego most likely does not exist, and Satan does not.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2024, 10:17:05 AM »

The ego most likely does not exist, and Satan does not.
There is the Buddhist concept of the non self:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatt%C4%81
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies