Opinion on this 'old school' approach to redistriting.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:57:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Opinion on this 'old school' approach to redistriting.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Opinion on this 'old school' approach to redistriting.  (Read 918 times)
wnwnwn
Peru

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 22, 2024, 01:26:00 AM »

I know that distriting like this is nowadays illegal. But let's suppose the Supreme Court ruled agaisnt Reynolds v. Sims and similar cases later.
Would you support distriting like this if it was possible?
https://davesredistricting.org/join/c925a975-ea87-45b0-8301-c57e7772b208
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 06:51:09 AM »

OPOV politics is a most fundamental democratic value. I oppose bringing back malapportionment in state legislatures, and support ending it in the US Senate.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 08:01:29 AM »
« Edited: January 22, 2024, 08:53:34 AM by Oryxslayer »

There is an argument that perfect OMOV is a little jarring,  and a small deviation window like in state legislatures should be allowed to facilitate the creation of districts that better follow COIs. However,  getting districts right now to follow COIs is difficult,  so solving gerrymandering is the first issue.  Especially when some state legislatures just use the deviation window as another form of gerrymandering,  underpopulating every seat of the majority and overpopulating every seat of the minority.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2024, 08:59:43 PM »

There is an argument that perfect OMOV is a little jarring,  and a small deviation window like in state legislatures should be allowed to facilitate the creation of districts that better follow COIs. However,  getting districts right now to follow COIs is difficult,  so solving gerrymandering is the first issue.  Especially when some state legislatures just use the deviation window as another form of gerrymandering,  underpopulating every seat of the majority and overpopulating every seat of the minority.

IIRC, deviation window-related issues sunk the GA Dem gerrymander in 2004. Slightly curious that hasn't been repeated at any point.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2024, 11:08:06 AM »

There may be an argument for getting rid of OMOV, but only for state legislature upper chambers1.  Not for seats in the U.S. House.

1For lower chambers, the number of districts should be set so that the least populous county has at least one representative.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2024, 11:50:06 AM »

No, any meaningful malapportionment is unconstitutional and an affront to basic democratic values.  I do think that counties should be kept whole whenever possible without malapportionment beyond a few %.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2024, 02:40:50 PM »

There may be an argument for getting rid of OMOV, but only for state legislature upper chambers1.  Not for seats in the U.S. House.

1For lower chambers, the number of districts should be set so that the least populous county has at least one representative.

Using this rule the Texas House of Representatives would have 476614 members.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2024, 02:44:58 PM »

For a very part-time legislature, this doesn't seem crazy.  All the day-to-day work of the session could be done remotely and use a stadium for major ceremonies like inaugurations.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2024, 03:06:34 PM »

There may be an argument for getting rid of OMOV, but only for state legislature upper chambers1.  Not for seats in the U.S. House.

No there is no argument.   Arbitrary municipal borders should not determine the amount of representation the people living in them are granted.  People living in Cook County IL are entitled to be represented in government (any chamber) just as much as people living in Hardin County IL.

Representatives represent the voters, not the municipalities they vote in.

For the record - I do think the way the US Constitution designs the US Senate is severely flawed, but that's something that was required to do in order to form the country in the first place sadly.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2024, 05:27:00 PM »

For a very part-time legislature, this doesn't seem crazy.  All the day-to-day work of the session could be done remotely and use a stadium for major ceremonies like inaugurations.

Half a million doesn’t seem crazy? How the hell would you get anything meaningful done. Assuming you spend just 10 second for each person during a roll call vote it’d take 55 days just for ONE vote, and that assuming it’s happening 24 hours out of the day. If you are have 8 hours a day doing the vote it’d take 220 days, which is longer then most legislatures are in session
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2024, 06:39:47 PM »

This would mean one state rep for every 64 residents. 1.6% of Texas's total population would serve in the state legislature.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2024, 12:04:33 AM »

Half a million doesn’t seem crazy? How the hell would you get anything meaningful done. Assuming you spend just 10 second for each person during a roll call vote it’d take 55 days just for ONE vote, and that assuming it’s happening 24 hours out of the day. If you are have 8 hours a day doing the vote it’d take 220 days, which is longer then most legislatures are in session
Not to mention maps and ballots would be a logistical nightmare. A bunch of apartment buildings probably have more residents than a district, so we'd need to carve them up so the person across the hall from you could have a different precinct/district.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2024, 02:55:16 AM »

Not to mention maps and ballots would be a logistical nightmare. A bunch of apartment buildings probably have more residents than a district, so we'd need to carve them up so the person across the hall from you could have a different precinct/district.
Using the original metric a district would be 64 people in Texas. The dorm building I’m in has roughly 330 residents. If we were in Texas we’d have 5 representives from this building. The only solution would be multi-member districts
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2024, 03:50:57 PM »

Using the original metric a district would be 64 people in Texas. The dorm building I’m in has roughly 330 residents. If we were in Texas we’d have 5 representives from this building. The only solution would be multi-member districts

So I was curious what this would look like IRL

In Delaware the state house would have just 5 members so I made a quick map

Contrast that map to Jackson County, Texas which has 293 members from 182 districts by itself since Loving County has just 51 people now. The smallest districts are just one or city two blocks.
I just picked a random small-ish county cause I think I would go insane trying to do somewhere like Travis
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2024, 04:00:28 PM »

There may be an argument for getting rid of OMOV, but only for state legislature upper chambers1.  Not for seats in the U.S. House.

For a very part-time legislature, this doesn't seem crazy.  All the day-to-day work of the session could be done remotely and use a stadium for major ceremonies like inaugurations.

Contrast that map to Jackson County, Texas which has 293 members from 182 districts by itself since Loving County has just 51 people now. The smallest districts are just one or city two blocks.
I just picked a random small-ish county cause I think I would go insane trying to do somewhere like Travis
At that point you may as well have an indirectly elected legislature with weighed voting by population and one member per county.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2024, 04:22:10 PM »

New Jersey would actually be somewhat reasonable with a system like this since our least-populated county, Salem, has 65k people.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2024, 05:26:04 PM »

For a very part-time legislature, this doesn't seem crazy.  All the day-to-day work of the session could be done remotely and use a stadium for major ceremonies like inaugurations.

At that point you may as well have an indirectly elected legislature with weighed voting by population and one member per county.

Yea some of these had 16 votes for president in 2020. Literally if you got my family and a handful of family friends to vote for you you’d be in office
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2024, 07:43:40 AM »

Fyi, Reynolds v. Sims governs state legislative districts under the 14th Amendment. Wesberry v. Sanders controls representation of the US House of Representatives under an originalist interpretation of Article I by Justice Black. The problem with the House is that it's been stuck at 435 for over a century (except for temporary increase when Alaska and Hawaii were admitted as states).
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2024, 11:31:54 AM »

It's a moderately common science fiction scenario to describe a city which is divided by stories rather than neighborhoods -- eg, the poor all live underground, and the rich all live in penthouse apartments on the city's top story where they get plenty of sunshine. In redistricting for such a community it may be fairer to have districts located on top of each other, with boundaries at particular elevations, rather than divided by neighborhood.* (Also, if some line city like Neom is ever built in a democracy, this would be how you would redistrict it, right?)

*This isn't how it's done, but IMO this would be a relatively reasonable system to implement in the La Paz/El Alto metropolitan area in Bolivia, where neighborhoods are divided by cliffs measuring hundreds of meters -- so people from neighborhoods which are theoretically next to each other mix very little -- and where neighborhoods get wealthier in a linear fashion the lower the altitude is, since there is literally more oxygen and it's easier to breathe. It's kind of the opposite of League of Legends. (Allegedly: pollutants also settle at lower altitudes, and this is a poor Latin American city, so lots of cars don't have catalytic converters and there are lots of pollutants. I found simply acclimatizing to a higher altitude more pleasant than getting used to air full of NOx. But I'm young and healthy and can climb mountains for pleasure, and results will vary; in my understanding acclimatizing to higher altitudes gets significantly harder for older people.)
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2024, 08:25:02 PM »

Opinions on the map that I shared especifically?
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2024, 12:09:26 PM »

Everybody debated on Del Tachi nonsense isntead of watching my idea. Maybe I should just put the map the next time.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2024, 11:14:55 AM »

Some software would authenticate them and then record their votes.  100,000 votes could be cast simultaneously this way. 

Where this breaks down is if you have a full-time legislature and or pay them meaningful salaries.  This would have to either be a volunteer position or with compensation similar to jury duty. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies