Should minors be able to use social media?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:52:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should minors be able to use social media?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Should minors be able to use social media?  (Read 221 times)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 20, 2024, 12:55:51 PM »

Currently, many social media apps only require the user to be 13 - and even in the cases where they require the user to be 18 there’s no real enforcement mechanism and you see tons of minors.

Some argue social media has been positive in allowing young people to better connect.

However, in my view it’s overall been negative. Social media spreads misinformation that can shape young impressionable people’s world views. Social media has been attribute to increases in depression and suicide amongst young people; young people literally die trying to do social media challenges. Social media (and phones generally) have been associated with making young people dumber. It’s also ironically making us more anti-social.

It personally really worries me what the consequences of this will be. We have a whole generation of young people who have been programmed with mis-information from fairly young ages that will be hard to reverse. People are having less in person real life experiences that are important for good communities and societies. And every life lost to social media is awful.

I think at the very least, every American high school should have a class on how to spot misinformation, fake accounts, scams, ect. I think apps like Instagram should work differently for kids 13-18 - where it doesn’t show them external reels, political posts, ect, and is basically just a platform for teens to communicate with their friends. In order to have a 18+ account, it should have an actual enforcement mechanism - like sending in an ID Photo or Social Security Card to confirm.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 01:27:15 PM »

Currently, many social media apps only require the user to be 13 - and even in the cases where they require the user to be 18 there’s no real enforcement mechanism and you see tons of minors.

Some argue social media has been positive in allowing young people to better connect.

However, in my view it’s overall been negative. Social media spreads misinformation that can shape young impressionable people’s world views. Social media has been attribute to increases in depression and suicide amongst young people; young people literally die trying to do social media challenges. Social media (and phones generally) have been associated with making young people dumber. It’s also ironically making us more anti-social.

It personally really worries me what the consequences of this will be. We have a whole generation of young people who have been programmed with mis-information from fairly young ages that will be hard to reverse. People are having less in person real life experiences that are important for good communities and societies. And every life lost to social media is awful.

I think at the very least, every American high school should have a class on how to spot misinformation, fake accounts, scams, ect. I think apps like Instagram should work differently for kids 13-18 - where it doesn’t show them external reels, political posts, ect, and is basically just a platform for teens to communicate with their friends. In order to have a 18+ account, it should have an actual enforcement mechanism - like sending in an ID Photo or Social Security Card to confirm.

Yes but with some restraint.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2024, 02:38:32 PM »

Young people can tell a fake account or scams. Its middle aged and seniors who need to know how to spot stuff like that

I don't think its wise to require a ID photo or SS. Instagram could get hacked and that information is online
Flats the Flounder
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2024, 02:44:30 PM »

When they're 13, they should be allowed to view and like other people's posts as well as follow accounts, but no posts or comments of their own until they turn 18.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2024, 02:48:41 PM »

When they're 13, they should be allowed to view and like other people's posts as well as follow accounts, but no posts or comments of their own until they turn 18.
then what's the point? You want 13 year olds exclusively interacting with adults online?
Flats the Flounder
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2024, 02:58:12 PM »

then what's the point? You want 13 year olds exclusively interacting with adults online?

The point is for them to avoid posting anything stupid/harmful until they're mature enough to know what not to say online.

In my experience, the influencers most kids follow end up being young adults anyway. The only major influencers who are under 18 usually appeal to an audience of really young kids, who shouldn't be on social media in the first place.

If kids want to talk to each other, they can just text each other or something. Social media is a cancer anyway, the world'd be better off if kids got bored of it.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2024, 03:06:14 PM »

Minors using social media isn't great, but I have a hard time thinking of a solution to that problem without making things worse for everyone involved.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2024, 03:17:12 PM »

Minors using social media isn't great, but I have a hard time thinking of a solution to that problem without making things worse for everyone involved.

Pretty much this. I would support increased regulation of the issue and more awarness campaigns in schools to prevent cyber bullying.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2024, 03:24:15 PM »

They should learn what life was like before social media even existed.  I still do, and it wasn't unbearable. 
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2024, 03:31:42 PM »

Young people can tell a fake account or scams. Its middle aged and seniors who need to know how to spot stuff like that

I don't think its wise to require a ID photo or SS. Instagram could get hacked and that information is online

This is a fair point, but in general, young people are more impressionable just by nature of being younger. A 13 year old is going to have little to no defense against misinformation whereas you'd hope a 50 year old would have enough life experience and real-world knowledge to have a fighting chance at combatting online BS.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies