SB 119-06: Say No to Imperialism Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:55:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 119-06: Say No to Imperialism Act
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: SB 119-06: Say No to Imperialism Act  (Read 429 times)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2024, 02:08:46 PM »
« edited: January 29, 2024, 02:14:24 PM by Laki »

I'll change to Nay

I would change to Aye if

1. it's a non-binding resolution that confirms the senate of Atlasia has a majority revoking acts of imperialism.

2. If it's better specified exactly what kinds of territory would be released, preferrably with
a. a pathway for independence, so that legislators can draft a constitution and prepare their independence and how they would be able to financially survive: currency, head of state, trade, who will take care of defensive responsabilities of these island nations, etc.
b. a pathway for the people to vote on whether they choose to be independent or rather want more autonomy, and what kind of autonomy properly in case of the latter. The inhabitants of each of these territories you want to release or grant independence deserve a say on this, and all separate from one another.

To give a comparison

With few natural resources, the islands' wealth is based on a service economy, as well as fishing and agriculture; aid from the United States represents a large percentage of the islands' gross domestic product, but most financial aid from the Compact of Free Association expires in 2023

My sources say it is up to 60% of GDP income, which would create an economic recession for those islands, because they're very reliant on us economically, and they don't even have the time to adapt to these changes

90 days is not enough for a stable (forced) release of a nation. I'm very strongly anti-imperialist, but it needs to be done right, and this is very irresponsible, it's like throwing the trash outside suddenly based on a hunch feeling.

There needs to be a proper path.

Referendums should be solely done in those territories specifically (and without Atlasians voting on it) though, so simulated by the GMs.

I do support the essentials of the bill, but it deserves more care and depth.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2024, 02:18:18 PM »

or give full voting rights for federal elections to the individuals in the countries in which it occupies.

And based on this.

Well, this is not the USA, it's republic of Atlasia. Someone who is registered in Samoa islands (MB is), or Guam, can already vote in our elections.

I agree with the take on OTL USA out-of-context.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2024, 12:40:11 AM »

aye
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P