Could Lloyd Doggett be vulnerable in a primary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:19:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Could Lloyd Doggett be vulnerable in a primary?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could Lloyd Doggett be vulnerable in a primary?  (Read 437 times)
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2024, 11:05:41 AM »

I'm surprised he wasn't seriously challenged this year or in 2022. He's a white man in his late 70s who represents a pure urban district full of young progressives. Doggett may be progressive himself, but so was Mike Capuano. I know he's been around forever, but so many people are moving to Austin every day and they're less likely to know who he is, lessening his incumbency advantage.

I feel like this is the exact kind of district that the Squad types would want to target.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2024, 11:14:38 AM »

considering his age they may be waiting for him to retire just to make things easier
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2024, 12:28:12 AM »

Lloyd Doggett is a long time hero to Austin Democrats
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2024, 01:18:23 AM »

In theory, perhaps, but in the last few years the most prominent progressive PACs have dramatically reduced their candidate recruitment/endorsement activities (according to one particular progressive political commentator, the primary reason for this was that progressive politicians underperformed expectations once they got into office by not fighting hard enough for progressive policy priorities, and thus donations to such groups declined significantly). This cycle, Henry Cuellar (who had been primaried in two consecutive election cycles and won both primary contests narrowly) didn't even get a single primary challenger, and I suspect the reason has a lot to do with the aforementioned phenomenon affecting progressive PACs. IMO, progressives would target Cuellar and many others long before Doggett, if/when they have the resources to do so again.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 03:38:58 PM »

No. As others have said, Doggett is a progressive through and through and is well-regarded and well-respected by local Democrats. Challenging him would be futile. That said, he probably retires (or dies) within a few more cycles.
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2024, 11:01:01 PM »

In theory, perhaps, but in the last few years the most prominent progressive PACs have dramatically reduced their candidate recruitment/endorsement activities (according to one particular progressive political commentator, the primary reason for this was that progressive politicians underperformed expectations once they got into office by not fighting hard enough for progressive policy priorities, and thus donations to such groups declined significantly). This cycle, Henry Cuellar (who had been primaried in two consecutive election cycles and won both primary contests narrowly) didn't even get a single primary challenger, and I suspect the reason has a lot to do with the aforementioned phenomenon affecting progressive PACs. IMO, progressives would target Cuellar and many others long before Doggett, if/when they have the resources to do so again.

Lol. It never ceases to amaze me how leftists are even worse at understanding civics and how government works than MAGA people.

Even if Doggett had a challenger, there's plenty of resist libs in Austin as well.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies