Texas defies federal orders on border (UPDATE: Supreme Court sides with Biden)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:23:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Texas defies federal orders on border (UPDATE: Supreme Court sides with Biden)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Texas defies federal orders on border (UPDATE: Supreme Court sides with Biden)  (Read 1029 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 17, 2024, 10:51:51 PM »
« edited: January 22, 2024, 09:20:04 PM by Blue3 »

Texas is now directly refusing to comply with federal orders, and is denying the federal government access to part of the border.  

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/texas-refuses-comply-biden-administrations-cease-desist-letter-border-rcna134423

Constitutionally, I think this is rather simple for once. Despite what Texas is saying.

Paxton says Texas will “defend her territory.”

Earlier, Texas officials physically blocked federal border patrol agents so they could let migrants (a woman and her two children) drown.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 11:07:43 PM »

New study: Texas’ undocumented immigrant population remained relatively stable in 2021 (Nov. 2023)
Unauthorized immigrants make up 8% of Texas' workforce, second only to Nevada, according to the report’s labor force data.

In Texas, lawmakers don't mess with employers of undocumented workers (Dec. 2016)
: Business interests rely on undocumented immigrant workers, while pro-immigrant activists fight to protect the labor rights of those facing abuse and exploitation. When the Chamber of Commerce and the American Civil Liberties Union are on the same side of an issue at the Capitol, they’re hard to beat.

“We know what an important part immigrant labor plays in Texas, and to suddenly wipe out large sectors ... would have a devastating impact on the Texas economy,” said Bill Hammond, head of the influential Texas Association of Business, the state’s top business advocacy group. “We need immigrant labor to do those tasks where not enough Americans will.”

To the best of my knowledge, there has been no change in how Texas handles illegal employers since the above article was run in 2016.

This isn't about "defending Texas borders", it's about the same thing it always is: white supremacists* insisting on their right to abuse and exploit others. (*You can call them "Nazis" or "slavers" or "Republicans"  but it's always the same ideas.)

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2024, 12:50:36 PM »

Texas doesn’t have a choice. Arrest the Governor for treason.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 01:27:11 PM »

The US Department of Justice knows what to do.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 01:54:57 PM »

New study: Texas’ undocumented immigrant population remained relatively stable in 2021 (Nov. 2023)
Unauthorized immigrants make up 8% of Texas' workforce, second only to Nevada, according to the report’s labor force data.

In Texas, lawmakers don't mess with employers of undocumented workers (Dec. 2016)
: Business interests rely on undocumented immigrant workers, while pro-immigrant activists fight to protect the labor rights of those facing abuse and exploitation. When the Chamber of Commerce and the American Civil Liberties Union are on the same side of an issue at the Capitol, they’re hard to beat.

“We know what an important part immigrant labor plays in Texas, and to suddenly wipe out large sectors ... would have a devastating impact on the Texas economy,” said Bill Hammond, head of the influential Texas Association of Business, the state’s top business advocacy group. “We need immigrant labor to do those tasks where not enough Americans will.”

To the best of my knowledge, there has been no change in how Texas handles illegal employers since the above article was run in 2016.

This isn't about "defending Texas borders", it's about the same thing it always is: white supremacists* insisting on their right to abuse and exploit others. (*You can call them "Nazis" or "slavers" or "Republicans"  but it's always the same ideas.)

If the ACLU is on the same side of an issue as the CoC, the ACLU needs to take a long look in the mirror.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2024, 02:02:52 PM »

Governor Abbott should be investigated for murder or at least negligent homicide. It's insane what pro-death Governor Abbott has been allowed to get away with. 

Again, I think a major reason for this has to be laid at the feet of the useless Attorney General Merrick Garland.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2024, 03:44:59 PM »

Biden could federalize the Texas National Guard and order them to stand down.  If they refused they would be subject to the UCMJ.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2024, 04:56:47 PM »

If the ACLU is on the same side of an issue as the CoC, the ACLU needs to take a long look in the mirror.

What about you being on the same side of an issue as the GOP?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2024, 06:03:32 PM »

Supporting first term Obama immigration policies doesn't put me anywhere near the GOP.

Why do you think borders are meaningless?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2024, 08:10:22 PM »

I feel like some Republicans politicians message in an increasingly primitive way.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2024, 08:21:19 PM »

This isn't about "defending Texas borders", it's about the same thing it always is: white supremacists* insisting on their right to abuse and exploit others. (*You can call them "Nazis" or "slavers" or "Republicans"  but it's always the same ideas.)

Supporting first term Obama immigration policies doesn't put me anywhere near the GOP.

Why do you think borders are meaningful?
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2024, 08:27:52 PM »

At the very least, sue Abbott or Paxton for violating the Supremecy Clause of the Constitution.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2024, 08:41:13 PM »

Pretty bad.

On the plus side, gotta give credit where credit is due. Good on Ken Paxton for respecting Texas's pronouns.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2024, 11:26:44 PM »

Obama's first term is over a decade old at this point. I don't know why you think that "this was the party consensus many years ago" is an argument that's going to convince me.

Obama didn't support same-sex marriage in his first term, but I don't think that you would argue against the idea that a Democrat opposing same-sex marriage in 2023 would be taking the GOP position on the issue. You certainly wouldn't frame it as "supporting first term Obama gay rights policies."

I don't. I just disagree with you on the purpose of borders. Borders are supposed keep out armies of enemy countries, not individuals seeking a better life for themselves.

Freedom of movement is a human right.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2024, 11:31:34 PM »

Freedom to leave is certainly a human right, but I don't think freedom to enter is.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2024, 11:34:30 PM »

Abbott ought to read some of the Supreme Court rulings which have stated that controlling/regulating immigration is a federal power and that the states cannot try to contradict or interfere with that federal power.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2024, 11:47:14 PM »

Freedom to leave is certainly a human right, but I don't think freedom to enter is.

Why?
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2024, 11:50:57 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2024, 12:01:04 AM by No War, but the War on Christmas »

My little bro just joined the Texas National Guard too, lmao.

Fck this state. Or at least the artificial one-party apparatus of the TX GOP that uses our resources for efforts like this.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2024, 11:26:04 AM »

Why?

At the heart of it, if you want property ownership to be possible, then 'freedom to enter' needs hard and enforcable limits. ( And I do not think "doing away with property ownership" is a mature branch of practical philosophy at present.)

On a more practical level, climate change is driving unprecetented volumes of human migration, and the United States needs to actually decide how we want to respond to it.
Mechavada
The News

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2024, 02:51:40 PM »

Probably not something to be proud about, but hey we'll take a W when we can here.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2024, 08:35:57 PM »

At the heart of it, if you want property ownership to be possible, then 'freedom to enter' needs hard and enforcable limits.

Why?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2024, 08:37:19 PM »

I see this is our next Nullification Crisis, only it is Texas instead of South Carolina defying the federal government this time...  
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2024, 09:20:27 PM »

Update: Supreme Court sides with Biden admin

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-allows-border-patrol-agents-remove-razor-wire-installed-rcna132890
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2024, 11:59:01 AM »

Yet Texas still isn’t complying.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2024, 10:18:16 PM »

Yet Texas still isn’t complying.
States are not obligated to comply with requests from the federal government. That's not how a federal system of government works.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies