Tim Walz 2028 ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:36:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Tim Walz 2028 ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tim Walz 2028 ?  (Read 1059 times)
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 16, 2024, 04:35:37 PM »

His pros ? His weaknesses ?

Can he appeal enough to the progressive base while keeping " centrist " voters in line ?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 01:01:18 PM »

I like Walz. Ettingermentum's write-up on him is useful. I'll quote some of the meat from that article:

In other words, an extremely generic political career. If you live outside of Minnesota, you’d be entirely forgiven for having never heard of this man. And a big reason why he made so little news over the course of his first term was because he could, in reality, do very little. Walz was forced to endure divided government during his first four years in office, as, despite extensive efforts, the Minnesota State Senate stayed in Republican hands by the narrowest of margins after both the 2018 and 2020 elections. With control over the floor, they were able to block his entire agenda. Any dreams Walz may have had for Minnesota were left unknown to the world.

This would all change with the 2022 elections. As Democrats overperformed expectations across the country, they would unexpectedly flip the Minnesota State Senate, handing Walz a trifecta to start his second term. From there, Walz and his allies in the legislature have made quick work in passing a huge number of longstanding priorities. Abortion rights were codified into law, along with some of the nation’s first explicit protections for trans people. A paid family and medical leave program was established. Marijuana was legalized. Noncompete agreements were banned. School meals were made universal and free of charge for all children in the state. Walz would sign all of it, only using his veto pen to strike down a measure meant to increase pay for rideshare drivers in light of threats by Uber to pull out of the state entirely—a bluff I personally wish he called, but something that I also believe reflects more on the inherent limits of state-level policymaking than the Governor’s own convictions.

I am always impressed when I find a Democrat with a spine, and Walz appears to be in that category. I'm all for it!
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2024, 09:56:30 PM »

I like Walz. Ettingermentum's write-up on him is useful. I'll quote some of the meat from that article:

In other words, an extremely generic political career. If you live outside of Minnesota, you’d be entirely forgiven for having never heard of this man. And a big reason why he made so little news over the course of his first term was because he could, in reality, do very little. Walz was forced to endure divided government during his first four years in office, as, despite extensive efforts, the Minnesota State Senate stayed in Republican hands by the narrowest of margins after both the 2018 and 2020 elections. With control over the floor, they were able to block his entire agenda. Any dreams Walz may have had for Minnesota were left unknown to the world.

This would all change with the 2022 elections. As Democrats overperformed expectations across the country, they would unexpectedly flip the Minnesota State Senate, handing Walz a trifecta to start his second term. From there, Walz and his allies in the legislature have made quick work in passing a huge number of longstanding priorities. Abortion rights were codified into law, along with some of the nation’s first explicit protections for trans people. A paid family and medical leave program was established. Marijuana was legalized. Noncompete agreements were banned. School meals were made universal and free of charge for all children in the state. Walz would sign all of it, only using his veto pen to strike down a measure meant to increase pay for rideshare drivers in light of threats by Uber to pull out of the state entirely—a bluff I personally wish he called, but something that I also believe reflects more on the inherent limits of state-level policymaking than the Governor’s own convictions.

I am always impressed when I find a Democrat with a spine, and Walz appears to be in that category. I'm all for it!
So he has potential...
SInNYC

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 09:51:01 AM »

I think Walz would be a good, possibly great, president. However, I dont think he has the it factor that will endear him to D primary voters. He doesn't look and sound 'presidential', whatever that may mean.

I also dont see his route through the primaries. People who call themselves progressive would dislike him since he is more about doing stuff than talking about fighting Rs about something. Neoliberals who are D because of social issues would dislike him since its not really his major focus, especially compared to somebody like Newsom (or even Harris). He wouldnt be establishment enough, which is especially important If the primary calendar shifts to the overwhelming southern influence (SC/GA first, etc).
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 10:18:28 AM »

He kind of lacks a certain "it factor", compared to various alternatives like Newsom, Whitmer, Shapiro, Moore, Polis, Beshear or even Pritzker. He's just too much of a Generic D and sort of bland. I could see him as a solid, do-no-harm VP candidate to Harris though.

While it should be irrelevant, sadly it isn't in presidential politics: Walz for some reason looks much older than he actually is, which is also factor. I remember that in 2018 when he first ran I thought he'd be at least a decade older than he actually is. Actually breathtaking to think he's only 3 years older than Newsom.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 11:08:05 AM »

Minnesota doesn't have term limits, but Minnesota governors do tend to only serve two terms. No governor since Minnesota adopted a four-year term in 1963 has served more than two terms...and in fact I just looked and no governor in Minnesota history has served more than 8 years.

I'd lean toward Walz retiring in 2026 then, especially since Peggy Flanagan is his preferred handpicked successor, and frankly I bet if he does he's probably done with politics. He seems more like the type to just take his teacher/congressional/governor's pension which he'll then be eligible for and enjoy things.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 03:06:24 PM »

He kind of lacks a certain "it factor", compared to various alternatives like Newsom, Whitmer, Shapiro, Moore, Polis, Beshear or even Pritzker. He's just too much of a Generic D and sort of bland. I could see him as a solid, do-no-harm VP candidate to Harris though.

While it should be irrelevant, sadly it isn't in presidential politics: Walz for some reason looks much older than he actually is, which is also factor. I remember that in 2018 when he first ran I thought he'd be at least a decade older than he actually is. Actually breathtaking to think he's only 3 years older than Newsom.

I think it's because he's well.... bald.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2024, 03:38:43 PM »

I think Walz would be a good, possibly great, president. However, I dont think he has the it factor that will endear him to D primary voters. He doesn't look and sound 'presidential', whatever that may mean.

I also dont see his route through the primaries. People who call themselves progressive would dislike him since he is more about doing stuff than talking about fighting Rs about something. Neoliberals who are D because of social issues would dislike him since its not really his major focus, especially compared to somebody like Newsom (or even Harris). He wouldnt be establishment enough, which is especially important If the primary calendar shifts to the overwhelming southern influence (SC/GA first, etc).

Just because he's from the Midwest, doesn't mean that he can't appeal to Southern Black Democrats. Same thing with Whitmer.

Just give them a national platform.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2024, 04:35:55 PM »

Minnesota doesn't have term limits, but Minnesota governors do tend to only serve two terms. No governor since Minnesota adopted a four-year term in 1963 has served more than two terms...and in fact I just looked and no governor in Minnesota history has served more than 8 years.

Rudy Perpich served a total of 10 years in non consecutive terms. He was LG when Wendell Anderson resigned in 1976 so he could be appointed to the Senate. Perpich lost the 1978 Governor's race but won in 1982 and 1986 before losing while running for a third term in 1990.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2024, 04:48:12 PM »

As for running for president in 2028 I just don't see it. I think Walz would be great but frankly I don't see any white male candidates getting the Democratic nod. He would make an interesting VP candidate though; governor, congressman, teacher, 24 years in the National Guard. My guess is he does try for a third term as governor in 2026.

FWIW if you are looking for a Minnesotan to run in 2028 I think Amy Klobuchar gives it another shot. Probably won't be any more successful than in 2020 but she is very ambitious and it would probably be her last shot.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2024, 02:54:05 PM »

Off the bat I agree with this.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2024, 02:56:05 PM »

Not to nitpick but I'd say Pritzker - billionaire businessman who bought the seat and has been a generic D rubber stamp - definitely lacks the it factor, and so might Shapiro, much as I like him.

Could be very wrong in my reservations about Shapiro (and I'll happily eat crow if so) but Pritzker is most certainly not it. He honestly wouldn't fare much better than Bloomberg.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2024, 02:59:53 PM »

FWIW if you are looking for a Minnesotan to run in 2028 I think Amy Klobuchar gives it another shot. Probably won't be any more successful than in 2020 but she is very ambitious and it would probably be her last shot.

Hasn't her star faded? Depending on how she fares this year, her crossover appeal argument may go very stale too.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2024, 03:23:16 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2024, 03:33:24 PM by TDAS04 »

As for running for president in 2028 I just don't see it. I think Walz would be great but frankly I don't see any white male candidates getting the Democratic nod. He would make an interesting VP candidate though; governor, congressman, teacher, 24 years in the National Guard. My guess is he does try for a third term as governor in 2026.

But wouldn't he be a good running mate for, say, Kamala Harris? She would almost certainly need to pick a white man, and Walz is a white, male, popular governor from the Midwest. Plus while Walz has at least some crossover appeal, he shouldn't turn off progressives either, considering how successful Walz has been in enacting progressive legislation in his state.

EDIT: Actually Walz may not be as popular as he once was, obviously conservatives would not be happy about the progressive policy that Walz has successfully enacted. But Tims Walz should still appeal to progressives, and he did have at least enough crossover appeal during his gubernatorial victories (especially 2018) to outperform Clinton and Biden by quite a bit in the more rural parts of Minnesota.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2024, 03:55:31 PM »

I pretty much agree, though I think there are better choices for Kamala's running mate in 2028. Andy Beshear would be a stronger candidate and is younger (even she will be 64 that year). A cabinet position is more plausuble. Still believe Walz is probably going to retire after his second term.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies