Vice Presidential Nomination
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 05:01:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Vice Presidential Nomination
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Vice Presidential Nomination  (Read 2055 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2007, 05:50:19 AM »

I nominate Keystone Phil for the position of Vice President. If you wish me to outline as to why I believe he is a strong choice I will do so, I understand at present however that it would hold little weight anyway.

I do not want his nomination held up nor I do not want him to be subject to any personal inquisition. I want a swift and quick hearing that above all obeys the rules of the Senate.

Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 05:57:34 AM »

If you wish me to outline as to why I believe he is a strong choice I will do so, I understand at present however that it would hold little weight anyway.

I certainly think such an explanation would be helpful as one is generally considered necessary when appointing a Vice President regardless of the circumstances.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 06:00:05 AM »

If you wish me to outline as to why I believe he is a strong choice I will do so, I understand at present however that it would hold little weight anyway.

I certainly think such an explanation would be helpful as one is generally considered necessary when appointing a Vice President regardless of the circumstances.

Because I believe he is competant, can undertake the job and make it his own, can be innovative, can adhere to rules and regulations and secondly, as I said with Naso I am not dragging anyone out of the Senate to fill the post.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 07:34:43 AM »

Could you give me a brief outline of Phil's past and current political offices/positions?

Could you tell me why you nominated him?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 08:09:18 AM »

As someone who is a good friend of KPhil's (or I like to believe so Smiley) and had been for a long time, I have seen him take up great tasks and complete them with marvelous perfection in marvelous time. I urge the senate to back up Keystone Phil as Vice-President.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 10:05:20 AM »

Could you give me a brief outline of Phil's past and current political offices/positions?

Could you tell me why you nominated him?

1. Check Atlas Wiki.

2. See above.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 10:20:11 AM »

Why do you see the need for a VP when your term is almost over?

I certainly hope you've not decided to frown at me after I said my opinion of your presidency, are ya?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 10:28:35 AM »

Why do you see the need for a VP when your term is almost over?

I certainly hope you've not decided to frown at me after I said my opinion of your presidency, are ya?

No no Smiley I just needed to challenge your conclusions about my presidency which I believed were a little unfair. It's certainly nothing personal.

I need a VP, because I would be an irresponsible and negligent President if I didn't seek one. Unfortunately my nominee was left stagnant for several weeks, running way over the 72 hour limit before the final vote was called after pressure was put on the PPT. It was the Senates right to reject my nominee, but it should have done so within the legal limit.

So I'm left, for the second time, to nominate a VP at short notice in order to have him nominated or rejected in the next few days so that government can get moving again.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 10:37:36 AM »

So I'm left, for the second time, to nominate a VP at short notice in order to have him nominated or rejected in the next few days so that government can get moving again.

It's a little unfair to suggest that the Atlasian government is stalled because there isn't a sitting VP.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 10:41:43 AM »

It's a little unfair to suggest that the Atlasian government is stalled because there isn't a sitting VP.

The Immigration Bill is stalled and the proceedings to remove Porce are as well
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 10:47:57 AM »

I support Keystone Phil's nomination to the Senate and I hope that the Senate confirms him.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 11:00:52 AM »

I'll grant that the Immigration Bill is in limbo, however, the business of government continues on other matters. The Immigration Bill, though important, is not emergency legislation so a delay of a matter of days is hardly critical.

As to the proceedings to remove Porce, they are really quite likely to be in vain. Who would replace him? The number of people in the Senate who (a) want the job and (b) are competent to do the job, rules out just about everybody. There can be little doubt that if Porce was removed as PPT, this would cause a much greater stalling on Senate business than the absence of a VP.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007, 12:11:37 PM »

My business is stalled; when I was elected I promised I would actively seek the vice president to take a hands on role. The one body I have created, the Council sits in limbo without a VP. To say my patience with the Senate (and the passive reactions shown by some members towards the PPT's unconstituional actions) has worn a little thin is a bit an understatement Smiley
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007, 12:30:32 PM »

My business is stalled; when I was elected I promised I would actively seek the vice president to take a hands on role. The one body I have created, the Council sits in limbo without a VP. To say my patience with the Senate (and the passive reactions shown by some members towards the PPT's unconstituional actions) has worn a little thin is a bit an understatement Smiley

I can, to some extent sympathise with your position.

However, if I may, surely the Council can operate without the VP - as it is in effect your personal advisory council (and so not burdened by constitutional or statutory rules as to its composition), you could, even as an interim measure, instruct your VP nominee to begin working with the Council.

Secondly, I think it's important to point out that the PPT's actions may have breached Senate procedure, but his actions weren't actually unconstitutional. This is a very important distinction - especially to me, speaking as someone who sought his impeachment before for what I perceived as unconstitutional behaviour.

It is also, to my mind, worthy of consideration that though his actions were procedurally unsound, they did serve to underline concerns about the nominees competence as a potential President of the Senate.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 12:46:02 PM »

It is also, to my mind, worthy of consideration that though his actions were procedurally unsound, they did serve to underline concerns about the nominees competence as a potential President of the Senate.

But he has only highlighted concerns about his own competence, which to me is now in doubt. He sought to pin charges of possible future incompetence or an inability to understand rules and procedures upon my nominee when his own competence and understanding (even manipulation) of Senate rules has now been called into question.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2007, 12:49:58 PM »

I thank the President and I look forward to what I'm sure will be a speedy confirmation process. I expect nothing less from this Senate and her leadership.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2007, 12:50:42 PM »

I commend the President on his choice and I too hope for speedy confirmation.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2007, 12:55:43 PM »

I'll grant that the Immigration Bill is in limbo, however, the business of government continues on other matters. The Immigration Bill, though important, is not emergency legislation so a delay of a matter of days is hardly critical.

As to the proceedings to remove Porce, they are really quite likely to be in vain. Who would replace him? The number of people in the Senate who (a) want the job and (b) are competent to do the job, rules out just about everybody. There can be little doubt that if Porce was removed as PPT, this would cause a much greater stalling on Senate business than the absence of a VP.

I object to you saying I am unqualified for the job of PPT
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2007, 12:57:48 PM »

I thank the President and I look forward to what I'm sure will be a speedy confirmation process. I expect nothing less from this Senate and her leadership.

Wait. The president's a woman?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2007, 12:59:22 PM »

But he has only highlighted concerns about his own competence, which to me is now in doubt. He sought to pin charges of possible future incompetence or an inability to understand rules and procedures upon my nominee when his own competence and understanding (even manipulation) of Senate rules has now been called into question.

I don't believe that the PPT's competence can really be called into question - this is his 3rd term (IIRC) now. His actions could be claimed to be an abuse of power, but that goes to credibility not competence.

I'd also suggest that that it was actual and current incompetence that was being underlined, as opposed to possible future incompetence.

However, at this point, it seems that my differences with your position are at a semantic level and over just quite how serious the irregularities should be treated. On these, there is really no option but to agree to disagree.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2007, 12:59:39 PM »

The leader of the senate is who is referring to, and that would be Porce so he is right
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2007, 01:01:01 PM »

I think maybe he mean't that America is a woman. So...America..."SHE" stands strong, ect. So, Atlasia...Atlasia's Senate is a "SHE".
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2007, 01:01:22 PM »

The leader of the senate is who is referring to, and that would be Porce so he is right

Okay enough of that please.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2007, 01:02:28 PM »

The Senate and her leadership, talking about the Senate as a "woman." It is frequently used when discussing a nation like "stand beside her and guide her..."
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2007, 01:04:58 PM »

I object to you saying I am unqualified for the job of PPT

If I may, I didn't explicitly rule out any particular individual as incompetent to hold the position. There are a number of Senators whom I would have complete faith in their competence as PPT.

However, and I genuinely mean no offence, you, Senator, have displayed a lack of knowledge of the Constitution and the rules of Senate procedure, which could lead to the presumption that you are not yet qualified for the position.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies