1972 Democratic primaries if these were the only candidates and there was no Canuck Letter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:05:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  1972 Democratic primaries if these were the only candidates and there was no Canuck Letter
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for?
Ed Muskie

George McGovern

Hubert Humphrey

Scoop Jackson

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: 1972 Democratic primaries if these were the only candidates and there was no Canuck Letter  (Read 280 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2024, 09:41:04 PM »

The Canuck Letter was forged by the Nixon campaign and made Muskie go from frontrunner to having no chance.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 02:36:05 AM »

Jackson, as he stands the best chance to do well. Still, nobody was going to beat Nixon in 1972.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2024, 04:15:45 PM »

Muskie.

Fwiw, Thompson saw Muskie as hopeless before the Canuck Letter anyway.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2024, 07:47:11 PM »

Jackson, as he stands the best chance to do well. Still, nobody was going to beat Nixon in 1972.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2024, 09:08:08 PM »

I would likely have voted for Muskie as he was the most anti-war candidate with a chance to win.  Over time, I have come to see Muskie as a horrible candidate, the John Kerry of his day, but he would have been much stronger than McGovern (although I consider him as being incredibly propped up by the media who saw him as the man that WOULD beat Nixon in 1972). 

There are people here saying that they would have voted for Scoop Jackson.  I don't think they realize where Jackson stood on the Vietnam War.  Jackson was a favorite of the AFL-CIO, but he was the most hawkish Democrat on Vietnam, with the possible exception of George Wallace.  He was opposed to Nixon's detente with the USSR and he was MORE HAWKISH THAN NIXON ON VIETNAM!!!  (Alone of the 1972 Democratic candidates, only Jackson supported the 1973 bombing of Cambodia.)  He was the second place finisher at the convention only because he would not give up after HHH and Muskie dropped out, and he did not inherit their delegates.  Had he been the nominee of the Democratic Party he would have been no more acceptable to the anti-war left than McGovern was to the Wallace Democrats or the Cold War Hawkish moderates and liberals.  Indeed, if Scoop Jackson would have been the nominee, Dr. Benjamin Spock's independent anti-war candidacy would have received more votes (possibly 2 percent).  And a number of young McGovernite types may have voted for Nixon because Nixon ended the draft, something Jackson would not have supported.

I liked and respected Scoop Jackson.  I would have voted for him for President if he had been the nominee and I was 18.  But I'm not sure that people here fully realize where Scoop Jackson fit in on the 1972 political spectrum.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2024, 08:58:29 PM »

I would likely have voted for Muskie as he was the most anti-war candidate with a chance to win.  Over time, I have come to see Muskie as a horrible candidate, the John Kerry of his day, but he would have been much stronger than McGovern (although I consider him as being incredibly propped up by the media who saw him as the man that WOULD beat Nixon in 1972). 

There are people here saying that they would have voted for Scoop Jackson.  I don't think they realize where Jackson stood on the Vietnam War.  Jackson was a favorite of the AFL-CIO, but he was the most hawkish Democrat on Vietnam, with the possible exception of George Wallace.  He was opposed to Nixon's detente with the USSR and he was MORE HAWKISH THAN NIXON ON VIETNAM!!!  (Alone of the 1972 Democratic candidates, only Jackson supported the 1973 bombing of Cambodia.)  He was the second place finisher at the convention only because he would not give up after HHH and Muskie dropped out, and he did not inherit their delegates.  Had he been the nominee of the Democratic Party he would have been no more acceptable to the anti-war left than McGovern was to the Wallace Democrats or the Cold War Hawkish moderates and liberals.  Indeed, if Scoop Jackson would have been the nominee, Dr. Benjamin Spock's independent anti-war candidacy would have received more votes (possibly 2 percent).  And a number of young McGovernite types may have voted for Nixon because Nixon ended the draft, something Jackson would not have supported.

I liked and respected Scoop Jackson.  I would have voted for him for President if he had been the nominee and I was 18.  But I'm not sure that people here fully realize where Scoop Jackson fit in on the 1972 political spectrum.

Much of what you said is why I voted Muskie in the poll.
Sumner 1868
Maps are a good thing
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2024, 11:43:11 PM »

[1] Muskie
[2] McGovern
[3] Humphrey
[4] Jackson
Property Representative of the Harold Holt Swimming Centre
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2024, 05:26:46 AM »

Before Trump, Humphrey was the last losing major party nominee to run subsequently. I would probably chose him out of these options, even if it would likely just be turning him into another Adlai Stevenson.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies