Major events in the past 50 years that don't have many conspiracy theories surrounding them
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 09:27:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Major events in the past 50 years that don't have many conspiracy theories surrounding them
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Major events in the past 50 years that don't have many conspiracy theories surrounding them  (Read 413 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2024, 01:13:45 PM »
« edited: January 13, 2024, 03:14:47 PM by Filing False Crumpets »

I was thinking this morning that I've never seen any conspiracy theories around the Challenger and Columbia disasters, even though the latter especially happened at a time when everyone saw either "the terrorists" or "the governent" as the culprits of basically everything. I've also mentioned before I think it's odd how much attention every assassination gets from conspiracy theorists except the attempted assassination of Reagan, which everyone agrees was just some weirdo trying to impress Jodie Foster.

What are some other examples of big events that don't have a culture of conspiracy around them (not counting one-off internet randos) and what do you think distinguishes these events from others?
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2024, 01:19:29 PM »

I've also mentioned before I think it's odd how much attention every assassination gets from conspiracy theorists except the attempted assassination of Reagan, which everyone agrees was just some weirdo trying to impress Jodie Foster.

I think this is more that failed assassination attempts in general tend not to have anywhere as many conspiracy theories surrounding them; I’m sure it’s possible I’m missing some examples, but I can’t really think of any. It certainly makes sense when you think about it — they’re much less traumatic, so much less for people to get angry about and look to point fingers for; and there’s less tie-in into various ‘what if he lived?’ counterfactuals (e.g. Oliver Stone’s thing about how the military-industrial complex killed JFK because he was about to end American imperialism forever). I’m sure if Hinckley had succeeded, we’d have gotten lots of theories about how it was really the Soviets or George Bush or both.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2024, 02:09:32 PM »

The assassination of Laurent Kabila is still one of the biggest mysteries of the 21st century, except no one cares about the Congo.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2024, 04:21:03 PM »

As far as I know, everyone seems to accept what happened in Virginia Tech and Columbine?
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2024, 07:33:55 PM »

As far as I know, everyone seems to accept what happened in Virginia Tech and Columbine?

There's a little debate about the motivations of the Columbine shooters (some people say that they asked at least some people about their religious beliefs before deciding whether or not to kill them or not).  But, that wouldn't really rise to the level of a conspiracy about the whole event.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2024, 09:56:31 PM »

The 1964-today Colombian internal armed conflict
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2024, 10:29:10 PM »

The assassination of the DRC President in 2001.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2024, 09:57:26 AM »

The plane crash that killed the Governor of Missouri in 2000. He won the Senate seat while dead.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2024, 01:31:41 PM »

The plane crash that killed the Governor of Missouri in 2000. He won the Senate seat while dead.

Can you imagine if that happened today though?
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2024, 12:12:19 PM »

Can you imagine if that happened today though?
I can totally see conspiracies go on if the same thing had happened(imagine the woman who won reelection as Governor of Kansas had died in October 2022).
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2024, 01:30:40 PM »

Mount St. Helens. Nobody posits the theory that the Soviets had a hidden volcanic lair in the mountain and that the eruption was caused by a failed nuclear weapons launch. But we all know the truth.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2024, 01:09:35 PM »

Also the plane crashes that killed John Heinz and Paul Wellstone.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2024, 11:42:26 PM »

A plane clash killed a Venezuelan outsider presidential candidate in the 70s (Renny Ottolina). There are some conspirative theories around it.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2024, 11:59:31 PM »
« Edited: January 17, 2024, 12:09:01 AM by Storr »

The collapse of the Soviet Union doesn't have that many conspiracy theories about it, right? There's the Russian assertion that the US promised not to expand NATO around that time, but that's not about the actual collapse of the Soviet Union itself.

Edit: this is a conspiracy theory I've heard of before from a few Russian authors:
"Events such as the August Coup and Gorbachev’s liberalizing policies were explained in terms of a conspiracy. The theory was that a Western plan to destroy the USSR and plunder its wealth had reached its ultimate goal. Gorbachev would use his liberalizing reforms to rouse liberals in Russia into becoming a pro-Western fifth column to topple both communism and the state (Yablokov 2018). This attempt was resisted by hardliners in the communist government and the KGB (Soldatov and Borgan 2010) which, of course, was positioned as the only force that could stop Western infiltrators."
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2024, 09:18:32 AM »

Mount St. Helens. Nobody posits the theory that the Soviets had a hidden volcanic lair in the mountain and that the eruption was caused by a failed nuclear weapons launch. But we all know the truth.

The name of the lodge keeper at Spirit Lake killed in the explosion? Harry Truman. Wink
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2024, 06:42:01 AM »

The collapse of the Soviet Union doesn't have that many conspiracy theories about it, right? There's the Russian assertion that the US promised not to expand NATO around that time, but that's not about the actual collapse of the Soviet Union itself.

Edit: this is a conspiracy theory I've heard of before from a few Russian authors:
"Events such as the August Coup and Gorbachev’s liberalizing policies were explained in terms of a conspiracy. The theory was that a Western plan to destroy the USSR and plunder its wealth had reached its ultimate goal. Gorbachev would use his liberalizing reforms to rouse liberals in Russia into becoming a pro-Western fifth column to topple both communism and the state (Yablokov 2018). This attempt was resisted by hardliners in the communist government and the KGB (Soldatov and Borgan 2010) which, of course, was positioned as the only force that could stop Western infiltrators."
That does sound like something  Russian nationalists might say conspiracy-theory wise.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies