What would be wrong with a Gretchen Whitmer 2028 ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:48:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What would be wrong with a Gretchen Whitmer 2028 ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What would be wrong with a Gretchen Whitmer 2028 ?  (Read 1472 times)
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 12, 2024, 09:06:32 PM »

I read from another poster, that she wouldn't appeal to Black Southerners or African Americans as a whole ?

Do we know that for sure ? How do we know ?
Medal506
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2024, 10:28:11 PM »

If Biden loses in November he値l run again in 2028 and will be the heavy favorite for the democratic nomination just like Trump is for the GOP now.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 04:54:06 PM »

She would be a great nominee but the identarian left will do everything possible to get a bad candidate instead.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2024, 06:47:12 AM »

If Biden loses in November he値l run again in 2028 and will be the heavy favorite for the democratic nomination just like Trump is for the GOP now.

Joe Biden would run for president at 86 y.o.?!?!

To answe the question in the OP, she would probably be a good candidate for most Democrats. Whether she would be acceptable to me would depend on her approach to either appointing Supreme Court Justices or reforming the Court.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2024, 06:50:21 PM »

The challenge for any moderate or establishment wing politician in the primary will be Kamala Harris who will be the presumed nominee because the more establishment wing of the party prefers to stick with the line of succession.

Gavin Newsom would then be the next in line if Harris did not run, and then after that whoever the media anoints.

Whitmer can't really run on the progressive lane because she just doesn't appeal enough to that base. So in some ways Whitmer's best chance is to make herself the next in line appointee by following the Newsom approach of getting media coverage and name recognition and currying favor with Biden, Jeffries, etc.
AlterEgo

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2024, 09:32:50 PM »

A) He'll be 86 years old

but, more importantly:

B) the vast majority of Democrat voters don't even want him to run this year. He could run, but he wouldn't get the nomination
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2024, 03:42:03 AM »

Just like Trump started a Maga Movt it was always gonna be Harris Blks are demanding another blk Prez
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2024, 08:04:19 AM »

Stop trying to make Biden 2028 happen! It's not going to happen!
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2024, 07:07:25 AM »

I read from another poster, that she wouldn't appeal to Black Southerners or African Americans as a whole ?

She'd have a running mate who appeals to them more perhaps.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2024, 12:17:19 PM »

See, I think Whitmer is likelier to occupy a Sanders/Warren-type land than a Biden/Harris one.  She's governed quite progressively, and the "establishment" lane is already potentially quite full. 

However, there just isn't anything compelling about her personal profile that would catapult her to serious contender status.  Michigan is a B-tier state.  She will not be the only woman in the field, and gets no other visible idpol points.  I also just think governors have a harder time in Democrat primaries, since liberal media is more concentrated in NYC/DC.

Then there's the obvious fact that her appeal to Black voters is pretty much unknown, and that's become hugely important to winning Democrat primaries.  I just don't see what appeal she'd have to Black primary voters, especially over someone like Harris, Warnock or Moore. 
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2024, 01:29:48 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2024, 01:42:48 PM by Agonized-Statism »

Lost momentum can be a problem for rising stars if they take too long to rise. Foreign policy is becoming more important to Americans, especially Democrats, and I don't know how well she'll adapt to the late 2020s political climate. "Fix the damn roads" is very late 2010s...Ruben Gallego, on the other hand, who occupies her "pragmatic progressive" lane, is a veteran and he'll probably be touching on relevant issues in the Senate while she leaves the Governor's Mansion.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2024, 06:29:47 PM »

I suppose she would be favored to win New Hampshire and her state.
Michigan includes the most black city of the Midwest: Detroit. If Detroit is in a better situation in 2027 respective of 2018, she could campaing on that. If not, the others could do attack ads on the issue.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2024, 02:19:43 PM »

She値l be two years removed from the spotlight by then, and she does have legitimate vulnerabilities with her COVID policies.
Fwillb21
Rookie
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2024, 10:27:12 PM »

If she can turn out suburban soccer moms in droves, that could be enough for her to win the battlegrounds and become the First Woman President!
Steve from Lambeth
Greece

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2024, 11:20:05 PM »

If she can turn out suburban soccer moms in droves, that could be enough for her to win the battlegrounds and become the First Woman President!

Fwillb21
Rookie

Re: What would be wrong with a Dianne Feinstein 2000 ?
Reply #3 on: March 8, 1996, 05:16:55 PM サ

I read from another poster, that she wouldn't appeal to Union Members or the Working Class as a whole ?

If she can turn out civil rights activists in droves, that could be enough for her to win the battlegrounds and become the First Woman President!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies