Do Ron DeSantis and Nikki Haley run again 2028?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:27:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Do Ron DeSantis and Nikki Haley run again 2028?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do Ron DeSantis and Nikki Haley run again 2028?  (Read 1665 times)
ShadowRocket
cb48026

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 11, 2024, 11:26:23 AM »

Could the old GOP tradition of the runner up from the previous primary getting nominated on their next try return?

Haley seems the best poised to actually win some primaries this cycle but she doesn't really fit into today's Republican Party and will have not had a position or held elected office for 10 years by that point.

The best case scenario for DeSantis seems to be to come in second in IA and keep Trump's margin down as low as possible. Maybe 20% points? Lol.  Then drop out and return to to FL and pass more legislation from the conservative wish list before his term ends.

Of course though, the 2028 field will be a larger than this one and there'll be plenty of fresh faces.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2024, 05:34:53 PM »

Haley maybe, DeSantis is done
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2024, 06:58:44 PM »

Could the old GOP tradition of the runner up from the previous primary getting nominated on their next try return?

Haley seems the best poised to actually win some primaries this cycle but she doesn't really fit into today's Republican Party and will have not had a position or held elected office for 10 years by that point.

The best case scenario for DeSantis seems to be to come in second in IA and keep Trump's margin down as low as possible. Maybe 20% points? Lol.  Then drop out and return to to FL and pass more legislation from the conservative wish list before his term ends.

Of course though, the 2028 field will be a larger than this one and there'll be plenty of fresh faces.

Depends a lot on the 2024 Election. If it's a close Race similar to 2020 when the critical States were decided by a combined 40,000 Votes MAGA will still be potent. If on the other hand Biden beats Trump handily and Democrats take the House & retain the Senate then Republicans may move away from MAGA and Trump.

On DeSantis: Depends a lot if he can install one of his loyalists to the Florida Governors Mansion in 2026. If he for example helps Nunez become the 1st Female & Cuban Hispanic Latina to get elected as Governor of Florida he still has some Political Capital.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 07:54:24 PM »

I hope not. Can't we get some new people in 2028?

The thing is, who's on the Republican bench that could actually win a general? Maybe Tim Scott, but he barely made an impact this time.

Would Vance or Hawley or Noem actually do well as a nominee? I highly doubt it.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024, 07:56:50 PM »

The thing is, who's on the Republican bench that could actually win a general? Maybe Tim Scott, but he barely made an impact this time.

Youngkin
Medal506
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2024, 09:19:46 PM »

Youngkin

Scott Walker 2.0
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2024, 10:42:15 PM »

The question would be which candidate could win both the primary and the general.
I think that Haley could win a republican primary as the Ukraine War fades in the american public sphere.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2024, 12:10:52 AM »

The question would be which candidate could win both the primary and the general.
I think that Haley could win a republican primary as the Ukraine War fades in the american public sphere.
Haley will never ever win a Republican Primary. She is just too much aligned with the Larry Hogan, Paul Ryan or Mitt Romney Wing of the Party.

We could be having a DeSantis vs Noem Clash in 2028 and Ron would trounce her.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2024, 02:24:09 PM »

I could see maybe Vance pulling it off.  He's Trumpy but he comes across as relatively unoffensive.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2024, 06:58:43 AM »

I'm sure they'll both run but Haley has no place in this Republican Party, she's a relic from another era. And DeSantis, as we now know, is just a terrible candidate. That being said he still could win a Republican primary if there isn't a more compelling successor to Trump running.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2024, 01:35:23 PM »

I think DeSantis is delusional enough to go again, only to fair even worse than he did this time. Haley is out after this, Democrats and Independents were really what kept her from suffering the same fate in New Hampshire that DeSantis did in Iowa.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2024, 02:20:54 PM »

I was gonna ask what Ron DeSantis was, but honestly, DeSantis fumbled even more so than Walker.
ReaganLimbaugh
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2024, 05:08:11 PM »

DeSantis yes, you can count on it.  Haley, not as Republican.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2024, 12:13:40 PM »

I'm sure they'll both run but Haley has no place in this Republican Party, she's a relic from another era. And DeSantis, as we now know, is just a terrible candidate. That being said he still could win a Republican primary if there isn't a more compelling successor to Trump running.

Haley could salvage her career.  How she handles things the rest of this year is crucial.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2024, 02:33:51 PM »

Haley could salvage her career.  How she handles things the rest of this year is crucial.

I doubt it, Trump and his fans won't thank her for an endorsement, she's a RINO in their eyes.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2024, 07:44:47 PM »

Odds of DeSantis running are increasing by the hour, day, week, month and year.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2024, 08:24:04 PM »

I think it's highly likely that they both will run again. Nikki will be 56, and Desantis will be 50 (on election day), so they're both young enough.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2024, 09:44:55 PM »

I'm not ready to write off DeSantis. After all it took Reagan 3 times before he finally won the nomination and the two share ideological similarities. Haley on the other time is probably done. She might be lucky to get a cabinet position if Trump wins a second term, but her stances on many issues are out of step with the current political climate. The only way I could see her making a comeback is if the GOP decides to abandon Trumpism.
ReaganLimbaugh
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2024, 04:10:00 PM »

If DeSantis runs he will be the favorite.  Nikki is done for as a serious candidate but she may try again.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2024, 10:08:57 PM »

A lot of these "who runs in 2028" questions are hard to answer until we know whether Trump or Biden wins in 2024.  I'd strongly suspect that whichever already unpopular candidate wins in 2024 will be even less popular in office.  My "prior" is that the losing party in 2024 has at least a 75% chance to win in 2028.  So, more serious candidates will give it a go if they think the election favors their party.
Libs of Ben-Gvir
Rookie
United States

« Reply #20 on: Today at 10:43:09 AM »

Desantis does. Haley was an anti maga protest candidate she's done.
Libs of Ben-Gvir
Rookie
United States

« Reply #21 on: Today at 10:48:00 AM »

A lot of these "who runs in 2028" questions are hard to answer until we know whether Trump or Biden wins in 2024.  I'd strongly suspect that whichever already unpopular candidate wins in 2024 will be even less popular in office.  My "prior" is that the losing party in 2024 has at least a 75% chance to win in 2028.  So, more serious candidates will give it a go if they think the election favors their party.
Biden will be Bush 43 2nd term levels of unpopular for sure but Trump might benefit from the expectations being reset (even though he'll likely start with at least 40% of the country hating him).

Also might not matter in his case cause project 2025.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #22 on: Today at 12:31:24 PM »

Unlike Haley or Pence, DeSantis still has like +40 favorability among Republicans.  He would likely run again in 2028 and be positioned to do very well.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:50:30 PM »

DeSantis' relevance will not be what it was in 2028, so for that very reason he will probably try to run again.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies