🇨🇦 2024 Canadian by-elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 11:12:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  🇨🇦 2024 Canadian by-elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: 🇨🇦 2024 Canadian by-elections  (Read 7540 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2024, 09:04:07 PM »

Final results

Fred Hutton (Lib) 2,603 (45.9%) +12.8
Tina Neary (PC) 2,152 (37.9%) -18.2
Kim Churchill (NDP) 846 (14.9%) +4.2
Darryl Harding (Ind - PC) 70 (1.2%)

Liberal GAIN from PC (avg. swing: 12.8%)

Turnout: 44.7% (-5.4)

Outstanding turnout for a by-election these days
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2024, 10:09:55 AM »

Today's Borden-Kinkora (PEI) by-election has been postponed until tomorrow due to another Atlantic Canada storm.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2024, 06:00:58 PM »

Today's Borden-Kinkora (PEI) by-election has been postponed until tomorrow due to another Atlantic Canada storm.

And they just postponed it again to Wednesday.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2024, 08:47:58 AM »
« Edited: February 06, 2024, 08:54:00 AM by Open Source Intelligence »

This Newfoundland result is surprising - is the incumbent provincial government really popular or something?

I don't know if the Liberal government is especially popular but from what I've read and have been told by a person in Newfoundland, they've hit upon a success in economic development which should mean at the very least that the province won't have a decline in population as had been expected.

Essentially, the government has decided to focus on what business professor Michael Porter coined 'clustering' about 40 years ago (referred to as 'network effects' in economics) and focus on tourism and especially the arts for economic development. The people behind this say they want to turn Newfoundland and Labrador into the leading arts hub in North America.

As a person admittedly old economy I hear this as the economic plan for a province and just think "eff off, come back to me when you've grown up and become serious".

There's nothing wrong with being artsy, but when you're talking about the arts as we're going to drive economic development with that, the arts only work economically if they have patrons, and those patrons make their money from what? It's no different than a pro sports team. A pro sports team in an area can generate economic development to a point, but it only works if there's people and/or corporations buying the tickets, and if business sucks/there's no jobs, they're not going to. The sports team's financial health at the gate is dependent on the economy that surrounds them. Arts like the sports team or any entertainment enterprise are not primary economic generators, they are derivatives.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2024, 02:15:36 PM »

This Newfoundland result is surprising - is the incumbent provincial government really popular or something?

I don't know if the Liberal government is especially popular but from what I've read and have been told by a person in Newfoundland, they've hit upon a success in economic development which should mean at the very least that the province won't have a decline in population as had been expected.

Essentially, the government has decided to focus on what business professor Michael Porter coined 'clustering' about 40 years ago (referred to as 'network effects' in economics) and focus on tourism and especially the arts for economic development. The people behind this say they want to turn Newfoundland and Labrador into the leading arts hub in North America.

As a person admittedly old economy I hear this as the economic plan for a province and just think "eff off, come back to me when you've grown up and become serious".

There's nothing wrong with being artsy, but when you're talking about the arts as we're going to drive economic development with that, the arts only work economically if they have patrons, and those patrons make their money from what? It's no different than a pro sports team. A pro sports team in an area can generate economic development to a point, but it only works if there's people and/or corporations buying the tickets, and if business sucks/there's no jobs, they're not going to. The sports team's financial health at the gate is dependent on the economy that surrounds them. Arts like the sports team or any entertainment enterprise are not primary economic generators, they are derivatives.

California:
Overall, the creative economy directly contributed 14.9 percent ($507.4 billion) of the state's $3.4 trillion economy, and 7.6 percent of its jobs.

Show business is big business.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2024, 02:22:35 PM »

California:
Overall, the creative economy directly contributed 14.9 percent ($507.4 billion) of the state's $3.4 trillion economy, and 7.6 percent of its jobs.

I think the subtext here is that the expanding offshore oil industry, and other less prominent extraction industries, are what's really bringing in the money to this (comparativly) remote part of Canada - and that provides the capital for everything else.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2024, 02:28:44 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2024, 04:51:52 PM by Benjamin Frank 2.0 »

California:

I think the subtext here is that the expanding offshore oil industry, and other less prominent extraction industries, are what's really bringing in the money to this (comparativly) remote part of Canada - and that provides the capital for everything else.

Yes, those are old school notions. If you bring together actors, artists and musicians combined with the scenery there is a great likelihood that it's going to attract Hollywood foreign investment. Those dollars are just as good as dollars brought in by extraction industries.

Edit to add: I went 'old school' myself: The video game industry is also multi billions.

Sound recording studios still bring in a lot of money even with all the at-home technology.

What else the creative types bring in after that is up to them to think up, but certainly, for instance, there is no reason St John's can't be Madison Avenue.

This notion that the 'real economy' is manufacturing and resource extraction is a myth.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2024, 03:40:28 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2024, 04:18:56 PM by Open Source Intelligence »

California:

You're confusing two items and acting as though they are one. Hollywood is not an "arts" business as you're saying Newfoundland should be. It's in that context much more a cold manufacturing business. The widgets they're manufacturing are films that use the inputs of local labor, get distributed globally, and they have budgets and cost accounts and are required to make back their costs plus more to pay back the investors. Black Adam made $400 million and was considered a box-office bomb (read: business failure), no different than a car that moves units but after engineering, marketing, rebates, etc. is deemed a business failure. What widget would the Newfoundland arts hub produce that generates long-term sustainable jobs for the province to the point it can positively influence the Newfoundland economy above asterisk level and can also be a business success not subject to the whims of the greater economy?

"Arts" is a guy makes one painting of the Newfoundland landscape and sells it for $5000. It's a one-time thing and the economic activity is done after the sale and then trickle down economics/economic multiplier is everything the guy then spends that $5000 on, so if the guy buys a coffee every morning a small percentage of that $5000 goes into the coffee shop and its workers (i.e. service industries are likewise derivatives and not primary economic generators). What's unknown here is who is the guy that bought the painting for $5000 and from where did he make his money, because if not for him and his trickle down/economic multiplier, no economic activity would have occurred and we would just have a landscape sitting on the wall collecting dust.

Manufacturing that generates economic development in contrast would be a setup of a few people working together that mass produce paintings of Newfoundland landscapes, selling them each for $25 and their production numbers are based on balancing supply and demand to be a long-lasting business that runs steady instead of just a one-off creation.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2024, 06:50:57 PM »

With 2 boxes left, it seems it will be a Green gain from PC by 200 to 300 votes.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2024, 07:01:33 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2024, 07:16:56 PM by MaxQue »

Final results

Matt MacFarlane (Green) 1,226 (48.9%) +14.1
Carmen Reeves (PC) 964 (38.5%) -21.7
Gordon Sobey (Liberal) 272 (10.9%)
Karen Morton (NDP) 40 (1.6%) -1.3

Green gain from PC.

Turnout: 58.9% (-9.1)
Neo-Malthusian Misanthrope
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2024, 08:37:17 PM »

Final results

Green gain from PC.

Congrats to the PEI Greens. I think this makes them tied with the Liberals in terms of seats now - who gets to be the Official Opposition?
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2024, 10:20:37 PM »

Final results

Green gain from PC.

Congrats to the PEI Greens. I think this makes them tied with the Liberals in terms of seats now - who gets to be the Official Opposition?

It will be up to the Speaker. They could go with the Liberals, since they are the incumbent official opposition, or the Greens, since they got a higher popular vote total in the last election. Or they could have both parties rotate or share the role. I believe there are precedents for any of those options from other jurisdictions.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2024, 12:37:44 AM »

Final results

Green gain from PC.

Was this result expected or a surprise?
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2024, 12:40:57 AM »

California:

You're confusing two items and acting as though they are one. Hollywood is not an "arts" business as you're saying Newfoundland should be. It's in that context much more a cold manufacturing business. The widgets they're manufacturing are films that use the inputs of local labor, get distributed globally, and they have budgets and cost accounts and are required to make back their costs plus more to pay back the investors. Black Adam made $400 million and was considered a box-office bomb (read: business failure), no different than a car that moves units but after engineering, marketing, rebates, etc. is deemed a business failure. What widget would the Newfoundland arts hub produce that generates long-term sustainable jobs for the province to the point it can positively influence the Newfoundland economy above asterisk level and can also be a business success not subject to the whims of the greater economy?

"Arts" is a guy makes one painting of the Newfoundland landscape and sells it for $5000. It's a one-time thing and the economic activity is done after the sale and then trickle down economics/economic multiplier is everything the guy then spends that $5000 on, so if the guy buys a coffee every morning a small percentage of that $5000 goes into the coffee shop and its workers (i.e. service industries are likewise derivatives and not primary economic generators). What's unknown here is who is the guy that bought the painting for $5000 and from where did he make his money, because if not for him and his trickle down/economic multiplier, no economic activity would have occurred and we would just have a landscape sitting on the wall collecting dust.

Manufacturing that generates economic development in contrast would be a setup of a few people working together that mass produce paintings of Newfoundland landscapes, selling them each for $25 and their production numbers are based on balancing supply and demand to be a long-lasting business that runs steady instead of just a one-off creation.

You're getting hung up on a word.

Read the Forbes article I posted and you'll see I mean the widgets and not just the paintings. Certainly however, film production needs the 'painters' as well (set decoration, storyboarding...)

The artists are needed with the widgets. You can either call them complements or network effects.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2024, 08:01:24 AM »

Final results

Green gain from PC.

It will be up to the Speaker. They could go with the Liberals, since they are the incumbent official opposition, or the Greens, since they got a higher popular vote total in the last election. Or they could have both parties rotate or share the role. I believe there are precedents for any of those options from other jurisdictions.

I hope Rock Paper Scissors occurs.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2024, 08:05:31 AM »

California:

Read the Forbes article I posted and you'll see I mean the widgets and not just the paintings. Certainly however, film production needs the 'painters' as well (set decoration, storyboarding...)

The artists are needed with the widgets. You can either call them complements or network effects.

I'm a mechanical engineer on satellites that go up in space. By the esteemed arts definition, I guess I should instead be called fabricated exotic metal designer.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2024, 08:51:58 AM »

Final results

Green gain from PC.

I hope Rock Paper Scissors occurs.

when there is a tie for election results, do they draw lots? i know in the Yukon in 2021 they drew lots to decide the winner of the Vuntut Gwitchin electorate. It makes more sense for the greens who had the higher vote share to be the opposition, now that they have seats that would entitle them to it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2024, 09:59:20 AM »

Final results

Green gain from PC.

Certainly a surprise to me. I thought the incumbent Tory government was really popular. And it's not like the Green candidate was a star or anything, he was their candidate in last year's election and lost.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2024, 05:43:04 PM »

Final results

Green gain from PC.

Certainly a surprise to me. I thought the incumbent Tory government was really popular. And it's not like the Green candidate was a star or anything, he was their candidate in last year's election and lost.

Local news reports say the green campaign was laser-focused on re-opening the intensive care department at the Summerside hospital (the current PC government decided to centralize all intensive care in Charlottetown and transform the rest in "progressive care"). They were surely helped by Health PEI closing half those "progressive" beds in Summerside due to a worker shortage in the middle of the by-election campaign.
adma
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2024, 05:54:20 PM »

Final results

Green gain from PC.

And on top of that, we're dealing with a *'19* Tory seat, and one which they won by 20 points that year (25 points in '23).  Plus maybe some notion that Green-mania in PEI was inevitably destined to be a slow-fade flash in the pan...
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2024, 12:46:05 AM »

California:

I'm a mechanical engineer on satellites that go up in space. By the esteemed arts definition, I guess I should instead be called fabricated exotic metal designer.

Yes, I agree there is a science in art and an art in science, the two aren't as distinct as some make them out to be. I don't think I posted it on this board for discussion, but there is an old time radio show from the 1950s from the radio program either 'X Minus One' or 'Dimension X' written and starring a D.J named Al 'Jazzbo' Collins about this called 'Real Gone.' The show was about the art in science and commerce and the science in art and commerce.

I'm aware that many larger anyway engineering firms have an artist in residence.

However
1.I didn't say that the artists would make the widgets, I said there is no point in making the widgets there without the artists being there.

2.There are also, as I'm sure you know, scientific/engineering 'clusters' like Huntsville, Alabama and the North Carolina (and Virginia) research triangles. So, you should be familiar with the idea of how clusters/hubs attract other businesses.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2024, 09:54:24 AM »

Final results

Green gain from PC.

And on top of that, we're dealing with a *'19* Tory seat, and one which they won by 20 points that year (25 points in '23).  Plus maybe some notion that Green-mania in PEI was inevitably destined to be a slow-fade flash in the pan...

Of course this is PEI, and everything is local. Max is probably right that it came down to the intensive care issue.

The thing I like about elections on PEI is they give you the poll by poll results on election night (unfortunately a huge % of people vote in advance polls, so the data are degraded a bit). What I found interesting was that the Greens actually did better in the eastern part of the riding (further away from Summerside), closer to Bevan-Baker's riding. Also what was interesting is the Tories won the only "urban" part of the riding, the community of Borden-Carleton.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2024, 01:40:27 PM »

The federal Liberals have done a remarkably good job of holding the caucus together since the last cabinet shuffle when it was mentioned that at least half of those first elected in 2015 (about half the caucus) weren't going to run again if they didn't get into the cabinet.

The polling numbers seem to have hardened to the point where it can probably be said that it doesn't matter either what the Liberals do now (except to drop further) or what external events occur. Apparently Liberal cabinet ministers joke about how they know the voters are going to fire them.

I can think of several reasons why Liberal M.Ps aren't retiring though:
1.I think they get severance if they're defeated versus retiring.
2.More incumbent Liberals running more chance to hold the Conservatives to a minority, which would be important if, as they likely expect, that Poilievre will become very unpopular very quickly.
3.Group dynamics of the M.Ps simply deciding to hang together.

Despite that though, a couple Liberals do seem to be planning to leave:
1.John Aldag, the M.P for Cloverdale-Langley city might/is likely to run for the provincial NDP in a new provincial riding in Langley.

2.Andy Fillmore, the M.P for Halifax seems set to run for mayor of Halifax (Halifax Regional Municipality) with the current mayor Mike Savage retiring.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2024, 09:45:20 AM »

2.Andy Fillmore, the M.P for Halifax seems set to run for mayor of Halifax (Halifax Regional Municipality) with the current mayor Mike Savage retiring.

Maybe the NDP can finally win back Halifax?
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2024, 01:06:32 PM »

Maybe the NDP can finally win back Halifax?

Andy Fillmore has more or less confirmed he's running for Halifax Mayor, and the NDP nominated back in September Lisa Roberts for the riding, the former MLA and 2021 nominee.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies