The event of October 7 and its aftermath can strain relationships.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:00:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  The event of October 7 and its aftermath can strain relationships.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The event of October 7 and its aftermath can strain relationships.  (Read 778 times)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2024, 04:09:51 PM »
« edited: January 10, 2024, 04:16:12 PM by pppolitics »

Let's say that we have a Palestinian who is a descendant of a Nakba survivor.

He mass-produced yogurt and sold them to supermarkets in the Middle East.

He can easily afford to buy a house in Tel Aviv and pay taxes.

Why shouldn't he be able to "return" to Israel?
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2024, 04:22:50 PM »

Because he isn't actually returning to his homeland being only a descendant of a refugee.

If he can afford a house in Tel Aviv I suppose he can undergo a background check and complete the transaction in line with arms-length principles that all real estate transactions should have. The number of these type of cases would be very few and far between and could be handled on a case-by-case basis. But no, even if he bought the house, it just means he owns property in Tel Aviv and not necessarily Israeli citizenship.

pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2024, 04:30:57 PM »

Because he isn't actually returning to his homeland being only a descendant of a refugee.

If he can afford a house in Tel Aviv I suppose he can undergo a background check and complete the transaction in line with arms-length principles that all real estate transactions should have. The number of these type of cases would be very few and far between and could be handled on a case-by-case basis. But no, even if he bought the house, it just means he owns property in Tel Aviv and not necessarily Israeli citizenship.

The Law of Return gives any Jewish person the right to relocate to Israel and acquire Israeli citizenship, but for some reason, a descendant of a refugee of Nakba can't relocate to Israel and acquire Israeli citizenship.

That's very discriminatory.

Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2024, 04:46:18 PM »

The Law of Return gives any Jewish person the right to relocate to Israel and acquire Israeli citizenship, but for some reason, a descendant of a refugee of Nakba can't relocate to Israel and acquire Israeli citizenship.

Countries discriminate all the time in terms of immigration policies. Yes, that's one way Israel allows the country to be a safe haven for Jews. Yes, Israel discriminates in terms of the people it wants to be citizens. I am sure when you look at other countries' immigration policies you might find something similar.

And believe it or not, the United States does not have to let everyone who shows up at the border become a citizen either. Sure, we should have comprehensive immigration reform and create a better system but the country is not obligated to offer citizenship to those people who ran across the border last week.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2024, 04:54:35 PM »

Countries discriminate all the time in terms of immigration policies. Yes, that's one way Israel allows the country to be a safe haven for Jews. Yes, Israel discriminates in terms of the people it wants to be citizens. I am sure when you look at other countries' immigration policies you might find something similar.

And believe it or not, the United States does not have to let everyone who shows up at the border become a citizen either. Sure, we should have comprehensive immigration reform and create a better system but the country is not obligated to offer citizenship to those people who ran across the border last week.

Okay, let's say that Israel did a background check and he's not a terrorist.

He has money. His yogurt business is, in fact, a multi-million dollar business.

He has a job. He can afford to buy property. He can pay taxes. He's not a terrorist.

What's the problem?
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2024, 05:13:12 PM »

He has a job. He can afford to buy property. He can pay taxes. He's not a terrorist.

What's the problem?

Sure, why not. But this doesn't solve the Israel/Palestine issue at all. It just creates an opportunity for maybe hundreds to a couple thousand wealthier Palestinians who are unrepresentative of the larger community.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2024, 05:18:14 PM »

What's the problem?

Sure, why not. But this doesn't solve the Israel/Palestine issue at all. It just creates an opportunity for maybe hundreds to a couple thousand wealthier Palestinians who are unrepresentative of the larger community.

My point is the excuses used to deny the return of Palestinians who were forced displaced during Nakba and their dependants are hogwash.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2024, 05:47:15 PM »

What's the problem?

My point is the excuses used to deny the return of Palestinians who were forced displaced during Nakba and their dependants are hogwash.

They can live in a Palestinian state in the West Bank and Gaza. That way their fantasies can stick to Twitter and TikTok instead of actually exterminating Jews.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2024, 05:57:54 PM »

What's the problem?

They can live in a Palestinian state in the West Bank and Gaza. That way their fantasies can stick to Twitter and TikTok instead of actually exterminating Jews.
There is no "Palestinian state".

As I have just demonstrated above, Israel doesn't allow Palestinians to return to Israel because of politics, not security.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2024, 06:45:26 PM »

Yeah, there's no way Israel or any Jews could have any security concerns after watching what happened on 10/7.

Please spare me the bs and re-read your initial post in the thread, self-reflect.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2024, 07:14:06 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2024, 07:31:29 PM by pppolitics »

Yeah, there's no way Israel or any Jews could have any security concerns after watching what happened on 10/7.

Please spare me the bs and re-read your initial post in the thread, self-reflect.

You should self-reflect.

I am not so angry anymore, but I am not going to suddenly approve of Israel's inhumane policies.

Clearly, putting the Palestinians behind a wall and pretending that they don't exist doesn't help Israel's security.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2024, 02:27:50 PM »

This is something that was just mentioned to me.

She said that what we (Americans) see on television is not what Israelis see on television.

Palestinian suffering is rarely shown on TV.

Israeli television doesn't show Palestinian babies being dug out of the rubble, Palestinians in body bags, or anything like that.

Palestinians themselves are rarely ever shown.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2024, 07:38:58 PM »

I've been fortunate so far that no one I know has been particularly passionate about the crisis one way or the other.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2024, 10:23:31 PM »

I've been fortunate so far that no one I know has been particularly passionate about the crisis one way or the other.

This is really the key to 2024. For a Hispanic voter in suburban Las Vegas or Phoenix, it's simply a low to non-salient issue. If you are not Jewish or Muslim (which 96% of the US is not) or a progressive activist, other issues like abortion, inflation, economy simply matter much more.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2024, 05:11:32 AM »

This is really the key to 2024. For a Hispanic voter in suburban Las Vegas or Phoenix, it's simply a low to non-salient issue. If you are not Jewish or Muslim (which 96% of the US is not) or a progressive activist, other issues like abortion, inflation, economy simply matter much more.

Well, I am actually Jewish as are many of my friends, but our views are all fairly nuanced.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies