Where would the GOP go if Carter won in 1980?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:41:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Where would the GOP go if Carter won in 1980?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Where would the GOP go if Carter won in 1980?  (Read 473 times)
Prez_zf
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 09, 2024, 01:16:12 PM »

Just like the title, what direction do you think the Republicans would have gone after Reagan loses to Carter? Would they go MORE conservative, and nominate someone like Pat Robertson, or would they go more liberal, and nominate somebody like Bush, Mathias, or Percy? Or some new direction altogether? Discuss below, and feel free to share maps!
ClassicElectionEnthusiast
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2024, 08:56:43 AM »

Just like the title, what direction do you think the Republicans would have gone after Reagan loses to Carter? Would they go MORE conservative, and nominate someone like Pat Robertson, or would they go more liberal, and nominate somebody like Bush, Mathias, or Percy? Or some new direction altogether? Discuss below, and feel free to share maps!

I think much of that might depend on how big a margin of defeat it would have been. If it was a close defeat, the GOP might go with a not-as-polarizing conservative like Jack Kemp; while they might go much more moderate-to-liberal if Reagan were blown out a la Goldwater?
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2024, 03:35:37 AM »

I think someone to the right of Nixon but to the left of Reagan would be the nominee and likely win the general election in 1984. Howard Baker kind of fits this description from what I understand.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2024, 06:47:01 AM »

I think someone to the right of Nixon but to the left of Reagan would be the nominee and likely win the general election in 1984. Howard Baker kind of fits this description from what I understand.
Can Dole be that candidate?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2024, 07:08:43 AM »

Can Dole be that candidate?
I could see Baker or Dole.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies