Pope Francis calls for surrogacy ban
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:01:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Pope Francis calls for surrogacy ban
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pope Francis calls for surrogacy ban  (Read 899 times)
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 08, 2024, 07:41:25 PM »
« edited: January 09, 2024, 01:30:13 PM by World politics is up Schmitt creek »

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/08/world/pope-ban-surrogacy/index.html

Pope Francis has called for a universal ban on surrogacy, calling the practice “deplorable” in a speech in Vatican City on Monday.

I'll admit, I never put much though into this. But I have to agree. Its almost always a weathy couple who pays a poor woman, taking advantage of her. The mother-child bond that develops is destroyed at birth. Its a privilege of the rich.

It goes against the idea of a nuclear family, the best family unit. And we should encourage people to marry and start families young.

Corrected typo in thread title.--Nathan
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 07:43:22 PM »

This is ridiculous.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 10:43:25 PM »

It has been the church stance for years.
Also, some progressives have a similar position, as they see paid surrogacy as a form of explotation of women.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2024, 04:52:17 AM »
« Edited: January 09, 2024, 04:55:42 AM by afleitch »

It has been the church stance for years.
Also, some progressives have a similar position, as they see paid surrogacy as a form of explotation of women.

Paid surrogacy as an arrangement (not legal in the UK for example), is very different from unpaid and altruistic surrogacy. Even paid surrogacy when strictly 'compensatory'; funding scans, healthcare and post-natal care etc is very different from a transactional arrangement.

Surrogacy arrangements are increasingly 'familial' in the sense that family members or close friends offer to be surrogates. They are not contractual, or exploitative.

Obfuscation of the two is often deliberate. Indeed, the Pope appears to have done the same because it's much harder to moralise against a sister carrying a child for her sister who had ovarian cancer as a private and close arrangement between them, and to accept that women can have both agency and be altruistic in their agency.

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2024, 05:10:26 AM »

I agree with criticism of the capitalism exploitation of it.

I disagree with it for the entire concept, but I know that goes back to the same fundamentals that the Catholic Church holds - which is also why masturbation, non-vaginal sex, condoms, and gay sex are all seen as wrong.[/i] Life has to come from sex, and all sex has to be “open to life,” according to one of their modern principles (from which flows the beliefs most people have an issue with).
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2024, 08:12:34 AM »

I disagree with it for the entire concept, but I know that goes back to the same fundamentals that the Catholic Church holds - which is also why masturbation, non-vaginal sex, condoms, and gay sex are all seen as wrong. Life has to come from sex, and all sex has to be “open to life,” according to one of their modern principles (from which flows the beliefs most people have an issue with).

The church is also agaisnt in vitro fertilization
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2024, 09:02:37 AM »

Commercial surrogacy should be outlawed but altruistic surrogacy is fine (moderate hero, sane)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2024, 09:34:21 AM »

I disagree with it for the entire concept, but I know that goes back to the same fundamentals that the Catholic Church holds - which is also why masturbation, non-vaginal sex, condoms, and gay sex are all seen as wrong. Life has to come from sex, and all sex has to be “open to life,” according to one of their modern principles (from which flows the beliefs most people have an issue with).

The church is also agaisnt in vitro fertilization
Yup. All the church's most controversial beliefs go back to that principle I bolded. And that's not just my take, that's what my Catholic high school explicitly taught too.

Commercial surrogacy should be outlawed but altruistic surrogacy is fine (moderate hero, sane)
Agree.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2024, 11:08:19 AM »
« Edited: January 09, 2024, 11:12:00 AM by Tintrlvr »

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/08/world/pope-ban-surrogacy/index.html

Pope Francis has called for a universal ban on surrogacy, calling the practice “deplorable” in a speech in Vatican City on Monday.

I'll admit, I never put much though into this. But I have to agree. Its almost always a weathy couple who pays a poor woman, taking advantage of her. The mother-child bond that develops is destroyed at birth. Its a privilege of the rich.

It goes against the idea of a nuclear family, the best family unit. And we should encourage people to marry and start families young.

As someone currently having a child through surrogacy, at least in the United States, it is 100% not "poor women" who serve as surrogates. Indeed, generally speaking, poor women are not allowed to serve as surrogates in the United States as there is heavy screening against women who are at all coerced, and no one with financial need is permitted to serve as a surrogate. The typical profile is a woman in her mid-to-late 20s, married, with at least one child of her own, with a stable job with a high income and a husband who also has a high income, who is doing surrogacy for the purpose of earning extra cash to spend on luxuries.

By way of example (changing a bunch of facts to equivalents to make this not identifiable), our surrogate is a 28-year-old nurse living in Madison, Alabama with two children whose 31-year-old husband is an engineer with a NASA contractor in Huntsville with an HHI around $200,000 and who plans to use the payments from surrogacy to install a pool in their home. They are not atypical at all for US surrogates.

Of course, international surrogacy can sometimes be more exploitative, and the rules are more lax in some countries, although the countries with the most exploitative practices for international surrogacy (such as India and Ukraine) have declined dramatically in the last decade due to improved regulation.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2024, 01:28:04 PM »

This is news? The Church in general has always been against surrogacy for the usual suite of Catholic bioethical reasons, and Pope Francis in particular is going to be especially bearish on the practice because of its association with exploitative development economics in the parts of the world he cares about. It's neither surprising nor going to change many people's minds.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2024, 06:15:33 AM »

unless poor women are forced into doing it, this isn't a problem.  The poor person gets money that they need, the wealthy couple get a child.  It's a win-win (just like all fair trade).
unless they can't have kids, in which case, 'eff passing on your genes parents, you get to adopt.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2024, 08:38:39 AM »
« Edited: January 11, 2024, 03:08:39 PM by World politics is up Schmitt creek »

unless poor women are forced into doing it, this isn't a problem.  The poor person gets money that they need, the wealthy couple get a child.  It's a win-win (just like all fair trade).
unless they can't have kids, in which case, 'eff passing on your genes parents, you get to adopt.
Probably wouldn't happen unless someone was in dire financial need.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2024, 11:15:06 AM »

This is a time where I agree with the position of the Catholic Church.  Surrogacy is not a healthy practice or something to be desired.  Neither is in vitro fertilization (especially as it creates extra embryos that will be destroyed or frozen).  On the other hand, I'm OK with "embryo adoption" as it's using lives that were already created.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2024, 09:14:15 PM »

Right to commercial surrogacy is basically the sole political issue that will really motivate me to do just about anything. Good riddance to any backwards anti-family institution that opposes it. Its opponents are the enemies of freedom, and I actively wish for them to suffer until they repent their evil ways.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2024, 11:05:38 PM »

I agree with Francis.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2024, 03:10:17 PM »

Since we have someone in this thread who is sharing a personal experience with surrogacy, those of us who oppose, dislike, or have qualms about the practice should take care to be compassionate or at least polite about the rhetoric and comparisons we use. Thanks.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2024, 04:13:03 PM »

Vile and unconscionable positioning here, amounting to a demand that certain people either do not form families or do not help others to do so.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2024, 10:15:40 PM »

Vile and unconscionable positioning here, amounting to a demand that certain people either do not form families or do not help others to do so.

What’s your opinion of Catholicism, generally? Relative to other religions?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2024, 10:06:00 PM »

Opposition to surrogacy is, at best, rooted in ignorance. There is no reasonable argument in favor of banning it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies