If Trump were to pick Ben Carson as VP, would it further his gains with Black voters?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 13, 2024, 03:10:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  If Trump were to pick Ben Carson as VP, would it further his gains with Black voters?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Trump were to pick Ben Carson as VP, would it further his gains with Black voters?  (Read 544 times)
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 07, 2024, 05:16:30 PM »

title

As of right now Carson is my top pick.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 05:31:16 PM »

The problem with Biden polls isn't blk voters it's White voters and it's the same issue Hillary, Gore and Kerry had, but it's still a 303/225 map, all the polls in 303 are MOE, but if I were Biden I would be taking the gloves off on Trump, Trump wants his job, what do you do when someone is coming after you. Sometimes Biden appears to be too laid back

No it won't help Carson is another Scott whom dropped out already

We have 290, NC is gone and we don't know about GA we don't need it no Warnock but it's still a swing state
Redban

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 05:45:44 PM »

No, I don't think so. All evidence I've seen indicates that blacks vote just as Democratic even when Republicans send up black candidates.

I believe Trump will make gains with black voters in November. But those gains will be acquired whether Ben Carson is there or not

Nonetheless, Carson sounds like a solid choice for VP. He's docile, loyal, and appealing to the base: very akin to Mike Pence (before January 6th).  His age would suggest that his VP tenure would be it for him ... he won't be Trump's successor, he won't carry the MAGA torch after Trump, he won't be the nominee in 2028 and beyond. For people on the fence about Trump 2024, a Carson VP pick might therefore give a feeling of lower-stakes - if Trump loses (or if his 2nd term doesn't go well), both Carson and Trump would go off into the sunset and never bother anyone again; and the party could have a chance to reset with fresh faces in 2028
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2024, 06:02:24 PM »

No. Ben Carson suffers from the same problem as Tim Scott, in that he does nothing in order to appeal to the Black community but offers white Republicans who have anxieties over accusations of a racism plausible deniability.
ReaganLimbaugh
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2024, 06:23:54 PM »

A little, maybe 1% nationwide probably not enough to matter.
Oppo

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2024, 11:05:14 PM »

I think the fact that Carson is a known factor from his presidential run would minimize any potential gains as well.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2024, 11:36:43 PM »

He might do worse, honestly.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2024, 11:47:31 PM »

Black Republicans running statewide have showed almost no improvement in comparison to White Republican candidates so I doubt a Black running mate would gain many Black voters. The only exceptions I can think of are Ken Blackwell receive 20% of the Black vote in 2006's Ohio gubernatorial and Michael Steele getting 25% of the Black vote in the Maryland Senate race that same year.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2024, 12:55:24 AM »

Maybe it could swing some people in Georgia, but like 0,2% of the population there.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2024, 01:02:34 AM »

I doubt it would, but it's also unlikely to hurt him with that group compared to someone like Kim Klacik or Candace Owens who could be percieved as outright insulting towards black voters.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2024, 02:18:06 AM »

Maybe marginally, but I'm not sure if it's not outweighed by the fact that, well, Trump's old enough he might not necessarily live through his term and Ben Carson is not someone the GOP's gonna want people seriously thinking "What if this guy had to take over for Trump" about.

Carson is a highly skilled surgeon who has accomplished miracles.

He also knows next to nothing about politics and government (we'll see if four years as HUD Secretary changed that but I doubt it) and unlike Trump, his moments of cluelessness are coupled with being absolutely devoid of charisma. He has a sort of anti-energy. The man often sounds like he's going to fall asleep in the middle of his own speeches.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2024, 05:04:15 AM »

Trump doesn't pick a low energy septuagenarian.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2024, 10:16:23 AM »

Obviously, yes, although Carson’s age would be a negative.

No. Ben Carson suffers from the same problem as Tim Scott, in that he does nothing in order to appeal to the Black community but offers white Republicans who have anxieties over accusations of a racism plausible deniability.

This is my usual boilerplate take on black Republicans and applies to Scott, but Ben Carson is a genuinely admired figure in the community and not just a politician who happens to be black.

There was a point pre-2006 where you probably could have argued Carson was the most widely admired black man alive. His presidential campaign obviously dulled that, but not by enough to say he would be a non-factor like Scott (or John James).
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2024, 10:24:45 AM »

Yup, including one who's already 74.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2024, 10:31:26 AM »

I have a gut feeling Kunce is gonna win and if that seat flips TX will flip as well, the polls are under represented blks people my Pastor Amos Brown NAACP said that it's a 303 map with Wave insurance
White Cloud
Rookie
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2024, 11:09:13 AM »

Maybe marginally, but I'm not sure if it's not outweighed by the fact that, well, Trump's old enough he might not necessarily live through his term and Ben Carson is not someone the GOP's gonna want people seriously thinking "What if this guy had to take over for Trump" about.

Carson is a highly skilled surgeon who has accomplished miracles.

He also knows next to nothing about politics and government (we'll see if four years as HUD Secretary changed that but I doubt it) and unlike Trump, his moments of cluelessness are coupled with being absolutely devoid of charisma. He has a sort of anti-energy. The man often sounds like he's going to fall asleep in the middle of his own speeches.

Which is why Trump should choose Kristi Noem as his VP. She has none of those negatives and she can appeal to a much larger voter group that Trump needs, white women. She has charisma, knows how to govern, and she's young enough that she could take over as president and leader of the party if Trump died or had to resign.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2024, 11:26:02 AM »

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2024, 01:37:18 PM »

Ok, maybe just slightly.
But what about the hordes of bigoted whites who want/willing to support trump? You would have a net-loss.
Cyrusman
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2024, 02:39:58 PM »

I don't think. I do think Trump will do slightly better with black voters compared to 2020, but Carson wouldn't be the reason as to why.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies