Human brains implanted into rats, form eyes of their own
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:02:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Human brains implanted into rats, form eyes of their own
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Human brains implanted into rats, form eyes of their own  (Read 179 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 02, 2024, 09:55:47 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/12/science/human-brain-cells-organoids-rats.html

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8XdQ5ow/

Some “interesting” stuff being snuck under the radar.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 11:27:58 AM »

Can't read the NYT article because it's paywalled but for all that's said about the way the environment is going to hell, I can't help but have some real optimism in the future of medicine. I believe most of us will live to see the end of blindness and deafness, maybe even Alzheimer's too. My main fear, if anything, is the excesses we often see espoused by transhumanists and "designer baby" weirdos.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2024, 11:40:38 AM »

This part in particular I thought was both funny, and also a bit ominous. Though if ethical standards are upheld then obviously there's great potential for medical innovations with advances like this.

Fascinating stuff, thanks for posting!

Giorgia Quadrato, a neurobiologist at the University of Southern California who was not involved in the new study, noted that the human organoids did not make the rats more human. On learning tests, for example, they scored no better than other rats.

“They are rats, and they stay rats,” Dr. Quadrato said. “This should be reassuring from an ethical perspective.”

But that might not hold true if scientists were to put human organoids in a close relative of humans, like a monkey or a chimpanzee. “It would be a good opportunity to set guidelines to operate in the right ethical framework in the future,” she said.

Dr. Pasca said that the similarity between primates and humans might allow the organoids to grow more and take on a bigger role in the animal’s mental processes. “It’s not something that we would do, or would encourage doing,” he said.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 12:33:26 PM »

man, now i know whats gonna be in my nightmares tonight
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length