PA-10: Lawsuit filed to kick Scott Perry off ballot under 14th Amendment insurrection clause
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:57:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA-10: Lawsuit filed to kick Scott Perry off ballot under 14th Amendment insurrection clause
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PA-10: Lawsuit filed to kick Scott Perry off ballot under 14th Amendment insurrection clause  (Read 573 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 02, 2024, 04:03:27 PM »

A lawsuit has been filed in Pennsylvania’s Commonwealth Court to remove Republican U.S. House Representative Scott Perry from the 2024 ballot due to the 14th Amendment’s insurrection clause.

The lawsuit, which was filed on January 2 by Harrisburg-area activist and former congressional candidate Gene Stilp, calls for Pennsylvania’s Secretary of State Al Schmidt to remove Perry from the ballot ahead of the spring’s 10th Congressional District primary.

https://www.abc27.com/pennsylvania-politics/lawsuit-seeks-to-remove-scott-perry-from-pennsylvania-ballot-using-14th-amendment/
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 08:31:14 PM »

Hellllll yeah.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 08:45:21 PM »

See what happens when you start a dumb precedent? This is what happens when you start a dumb precedent.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 08:58:09 PM »

See what happens when you start a dumb precedent? This is what happens when you start a dumb precedent.

What’s bad about this?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2024, 09:02:22 PM »

What’s bad about this?
If Perry's guilty of insurrection for daring to challenge the results of an election, than that makes Maxine Waters a literal member of Al Qaida.
Oppo

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2024, 09:54:46 PM »

What’s bad about this?
If Perry's guilty of insurrection for daring to challenge the results of an election, than that makes Maxine Waters a literal member of Al Qaida.
wdym?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2024, 09:57:08 PM »

What’s bad about this?
wdym?
All jokes aside, my point is that if Perry is an insurectionist for casting the "wrong" vote in Congress, than that makes Maxine Waters an actual terrorist, because she voted the same way as Perry did in 2017 against Trump, and then subsequently verbally advocated for the harassment of public officials.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2024, 01:13:28 AM »

Yeah, the simple act of voting to challenge the election results in Congress doesn't count as insurrection, for the clear reason that it is a legal procedure in Congress! This will be thrown out in a hurry.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2024, 01:21:52 AM »

This obviously isn't going to pass muster, but Perry is one of the few Freedom Caucus members who's beatable in the general. The question is why he ran so far ahead of both Mastriano and Oz.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2024, 01:26:04 AM »

I’ve been wondering why this took so long.  I don’t think the effort to remove Trump from the ballot will (or should) be successful, because I don’t think this clause of the 14th Amendment applies to the presidency.

But is clearly applies to Congress, and also it seems procedurally much more legitimate for a state court to make a factual determination on the eligibility of someone running only in that state.

As I understand it, Perry’s involvement in subverting the election goes far beyond just voting not to certify.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2024, 07:01:06 AM »

I have this sinking feeling that this is the year Scott Perry goes down. I just feel it!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2024, 07:20:28 AM »

What’s bad about this?

If that’s the reason, then that’s dumb.  However, he was heavily involved in the Jeffrey Clark DOJ scheme as well.  That’s where I think Perry crossed the line from sympathizer to active participant.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2024, 07:41:15 AM »

The lawsuit isn't based on Perry simply voting not to certify.  According to various testimony to the Jan. 6 Committee and other investigators, he was a central figure in the effort to keep Trump in power after he lost.  See for example https://www.abc27.com/pennsylvania-politics/scott-perrys-text-messages-show-involvement-in-2020-election-leading-up-to-january-6/.

Having said that, I expect this effort to fail.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2024, 08:17:10 AM »

The lawsuit isn't based on Perry simply voting not to certify.  According to various testimony to the Jan. 6 Committee and other investigators, he was a central figure in the effort to keep Trump in power after he lost.  See for example https://www.abc27.com/pennsylvania-politics/scott-perrys-text-messages-show-involvement-in-2020-election-leading-up-to-january-6/.

Having said that, I expect this effort to fail.

Yeah, to elaborate a bit, Perry is in a bit of a unique category far beyond even folks like Hawley, Cruz, Brooks, etc.  The only other folks off the top of my head who he shares it with are Chuck Grassley and Ron Johnson.  That said, I think the strongest case of this type would be Van Orden since there is photographic proof that he illegally crossed the police barricades during the 1/6 insurrection, although the claims by some Dems that he himself engaged in violence or tried to burn down the Capitol are dishonest hyperbole that does no one any good.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2024, 08:35:31 AM »

I have this sinking feeling that this is the year Scott Perry goes down. I just feel it!

I think Perry hangs on for one final time in 2024 but ultimately goes down in 2026.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2024, 07:16:33 PM »

I am actually against this. Perry is becoming increasingly vulnerable in a way a different Republican might not be.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies