Will the 2024 Florida marijuana legalization initiative pass?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:09:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will the 2024 Florida marijuana legalization initiative pass?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will it pass? (Note that it requires at least 60% of the statewide vote to pass)
Safe Yes

Likely Yes

Lean Yes

Lean No

Likely No

Safe No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Will the 2024 Florida marijuana legalization initiative pass?  (Read 1217 times)
E-Dawg
Guy
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 02, 2024, 02:58:24 PM »
« edited: January 02, 2024, 10:00:05 PM by E-Dawg »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_Florida_marijuana_legalization_initiative

For now I'm gonna vote lean no, as getting to that 60% mark seems like a somewhat heavy lift considering the current age and party demographics of the state.

I do wonder if Matt Gaetz will endorse and campaign in favor of this initiative. He has been very pro-weed throughout his whole political career. It seems to be an issue he is passionate about, and it's not like he is afraid of bucking his party publicly and vocally. Gaetz campaigning for the initiative could help convince some MAGA Republicans who value his opinions to vote in favor of it, especially the ones in his district. And while less well known, Brian Mast is also a very pro-weed GOP congressman in the state, and I could also see him endorsing this.
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 04:16:26 PM »

Polling shows something like 67-25. People overestimate how conservative Florida is just because of one election in 2022, especially on the issues.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 08:50:15 PM »

I hope so!
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2024, 04:28:27 AM »

At some point I think the opinion on this issue is going to start changing away from the misinformed position towards the informed one, as a result, I voted for "No."
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2024, 09:18:05 AM »

Polling shows something like 67-25. People overestimate how conservative Florida is just because of one election in 2022, especially on the issues.
Watch it be to the left of Texas again in 2024
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2024, 01:57:30 AM »

Lean No (though probably closer to Likely No than Yes). I think the 60% requirement may be too high. Also, with Biden likely to cede the state, turnout among the groups needed will likely suffer. The one demographic variable that holds the most value on marijuana legalization is age. Florida has an old electorate and seniors are the most opposed to legalization.

As I noted in the marijuana sticky topic:
This is everything above 55%:

MD (2022): 67.20%
NJ (2020): 67.08%
AZ (2020): 60.03%
OH (2023): 57.19%
CA (2016): 57.13%
MT (2020): 56.90%
OR (2014): 56.11%
MI (2018) 55.89%
WA (2012): 55.70%
CO (2012): 55.32%

Maryland and New Jersey are unique both in their results and that both initiatives were legislatively-referred.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2024, 03:36:23 PM »

At some point I think the opinion on this issue is going to start changing away from the misinformed position towards the informed one, as a result, I voted for "No."

It does seem like time to acknowledge that things aren't going according to plan for drug legalization proponents, either in state/local revenues or public health/public safety impacts.  That having been said, I still don't agree with jail sentences for mere users, though.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2024, 08:04:04 PM »

It does seem like time to acknowledge that things aren't going according to plan for drug legalization proponents, either in state/local revenues or public health/public safety impacts.  That having been said, I still don't agree with jail sentences for mere users, though.

I think proponents just want it legalized. Coming up with sales pitches involving increased revenues from taxes and whatever medical benefits is just a means to an end there. So if there are some adverse health effects on society, that doesn't really make a difference to most. It's the option to indulge in cannabis they want.
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2024, 04:21:31 AM »

I strongly hope that Florida is smart and doesn't legalize that garbage. I will quote King James I of England and VI of Scotland on tobacco because it sums up my views on smoking at large :

"Have you not reason then to bee ashamed, and to forbeare this filthie noveltie, so basely grounded, so foolishly received and so grossely mistaken in the right use thereof? In your abuse thereof sinning against God, harming your selves both in persons and goods, and raking also thereby the markes and notes of vanitie upon you: by the custome thereof making your selves to be wondered at by all forraine civil Nations, and by all strangers that come among you, to be scorned and contemned. A custome lothsome to the eye, hatefull to the Nose, harmefull to the braine, dangerous to the Lungs, and in the blacke stinking fume thereof, neerest resembling the horrible Stigian smoke of the pit that is bottomelesse."
- James 1604
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies