How long will the Israel-Hamas war last?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:19:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  How long will the Israel-Hamas war last?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How long will the Israel-Hamas war last?  (Read 777 times)
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 31, 2023, 07:00:21 PM »

In my mind, it'll probably be 5 years or so. The only reason Israel is still massacring Palestinian civilians is due to US support. This US support will cost Biden reelection, but Trump won't be any better on this issue. Netanyahu won't stop until the genocide of the Gazans is complete. What do you all think?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 07:56:35 PM »

Like 3 more months
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 07:59:08 PM »

In my mind, it'll probably be 5 years or so. The only reason Israel is still massacring Palestinian civilians is due to US support. This US support will cost Biden reelection, but Trump won't be any better on this issue. Netanyahu won't stop until the genocide of the Gazans is complete. What do you all think?

I think your usual concern trolling is a lot less amusing when combined with explicit blood libel.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 08:07:01 PM »

I seriously doubt it takes Israel five years to beat Hamas.  Frankly I'd be surprised if it's still going in five months, even as Israel has been extremely slow and methodical as of late.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 05:23:06 AM »

I seriously doubt it takes Israel five years to beat Hamas.  Frankly I'd be surprised if it's still going in five months, even as Israel has been extremely slow and methodical as of late.

I suppose that is one way of putting it, yes. Though other interpretations are available.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2024, 11:17:08 AM »

Till the genocide of the Gazans is complete or till international countries grow a backbone and force peace/mediation by threatening Israel to sanction them.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 11:18:12 AM »

It's a forever war.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2024, 12:03:16 PM »

Either…

A) Until Israel takes out enough sufficiently big name Hamas leaders (folks like Dief, the Sinwar brothers, Issa, Haniyeh, Mashal, and Al-Arouri) that it feels comfortable declaring victory and calling it a day

B) Far more likely, until Israel has fully occupied Gaza and crushed Hamas

Caveat with B: How long Israeli troops actually remain in Gaza depends a great deal upon who wins the next election in Israel and, if it isn’t Likud, how stable a majority coalition they have to work with (as well as whom it is made up of). Netanyahu’s opposition to transferring control to the PA doesn’t mean it won’t happen.  

For example, Gantz supports transferring post-Hamas Gaza to the PA’s administration and has publicly attacked Netanyahu for the latter’s opposition to doing so.  If Netanyahu loses re-election and there is a strong, stable anti-Likud coalition led by Gantz then the PA will likely get Gaza once Hamas is crushed.  If Netanyahu wins or the anti-Likud coalition majority is so narrow that they can’t afford to piss off one or two members of the Knesset, then it gets trickier.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2024, 10:05:38 PM »

I "think" that this isn't true and that you should get out of this "America is responsible for everything wrong" mindset.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2024, 09:52:41 AM »
« Edited: January 02, 2024, 10:27:36 AM by Velasco »

Some Apartheid State's official said the offensive enters a new phase that will last 6 months. If nothing changes hundreds of thousands will die in Gaza killed by hunger, disease and the bombs. The moral misery of those supporting Netanyahu's government (or keeping complicit silence) will be increasingly exposed. Liberal democracy will suffer a fatal blow worldwide . Most likely Trump will be elected for a second non-consecutive term and heaven knows what comes next.  May the vile Kahanists and their friends rot in hell. Happy New Year
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2024, 10:38:59 AM »

Polls consistently show massive opposition to Netanyahu in Israel. No, that doesn't mean that all of his critics want "peace" (far from it) but it could mean they want Israel to pursue its purported goals more efficiently and less indiscriminately.
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2024, 05:06:25 AM »

Either…

A) Until Israel takes out enough sufficiently big name Hamas leaders (folks like Dief, the Sinwar brothers, Issa, Haniyeh, Mashal, and Al-Arouri) that it feels comfortable declaring victory and calling it a day

B) Far more likely, until Israel has fully occupied Gaza and crushed Hamas

Caveat with B: How long Israeli troops actually remain in Gaza depends a great deal upon who wins the next election in Israel and, if it isn’t Likud, how stable a majority coalition they have to work with (as well as whom it is made up of). Netanyahu’s opposition to transferring control to the PA doesn’t mean it won’t happen.  

For example, Gantz supports transferring post-Hamas Gaza to the PA’s administration and has publicly attacked Netanyahu for the latter’s opposition to doing so.  If Netanyahu loses re-election and there is a strong, stable anti-Likud coalition led by Gantz then the PA will likely get Gaza once Hamas is crushed.  If Netanyahu wins or the anti-Likud coalition majority is so narrow that they can’t afford to piss off one or two members of the Knesset, then it gets trickier.

I'm inclined to agree that it will probably go on until the Gaza Strip is fully under the control of the IDF (probably around April). At that point the main phase of the war is over and the amount of pressure for Netanyahu's ousting would be strong enough that I feel like an election would be inevitable, with the matter of the nature of the postwar rebuilding of Gaza likely being a core topic of the election campaign.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2024, 01:02:44 AM »

Probably as long as Netanyahu likes. We've already seen his authoritarian instincts. The man wants to be Israel's dictator.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2024, 06:56:45 AM »

Probably as long as Netanyahu likes. We've already seen his authoritarian instincts. The man wants to be Israel's dictator.

But most Israelis now despise him, even Bibi can't defy gravity indefinitely.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2024, 01:21:58 AM »
« Edited: January 08, 2024, 01:34:36 AM by All Along The Watchtower »

The man wants to stay out of prison. Being a wartime Prime Minister is a means to an end in that regard.

Though considering how widely loathed he is, I’m not at all convinced that prolonging the war indefinitely actually helps Bibi in the long run. Doubly so considering he is so brazen about refusing to take any responsibility for his policy failures that were part of what made the October 7th attacks possible.

We all saw the size of the protests against the judicial “reforms”, after all, and that was pre-October 7th. I suspect a growing majority of Israelis are eager to kick his ass out for good as soon as this war is over.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2024, 01:35:22 AM »

Probably at least as long as Bibi is Prime Minister and his coalition is strongly behind the idea of the war. Whenever this is no longer completely true, the prolonging becomes unclear. If neither is true, I see it ending relatively quickly.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2024, 10:05:04 AM »

The military operation will probably last a few more months into the spring. The conflict, including attacks on Israel, will continue for years to come.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2024, 10:48:36 AM »

And in that sense, it has been going on for the best part of a century.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2024, 12:18:50 PM »

2 more minutes
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2024, 01:32:22 PM »

The current conflict? I honestly have no idea. Netanyahu will want to keep it going forever. When the fighting stops, there will be election and Gantz will become prime minister.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2024, 01:33:11 PM »

The current conflict? I honestly have no idea. Netanyahu will want to keep it going forever. When the fighting stops, there will be election and Gantz will become prime minister.

Potentially. Gantz is certainly among the likelier successors to Netanyahu.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies