Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine vetoes bill that would’ve banned gender-affirming care for trans youth
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 10:48:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine vetoes bill that would’ve banned gender-affirming care for trans youth
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine vetoes bill that would’ve banned gender-affirming care for trans youth  (Read 1606 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 29, 2023, 11:03:07 AM »

https://ohiocapitaljournal.com/2023/12/29/ohio-gov-mike-dewine-vetoes-bill-that-wouldve-banned-gender-affirming-care-for-trans-youth/

Republican Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine has vetoed legislation that would have prohibited transgender youth from accessing gender-affirming care. His veto shoots down the controversial bill, which would also stop middle and high school trans students from participating in athletics with cisgender peers.

He announced the decision in a press conference Friday morning, the last day that he was allowed to veto it.

DeWine said he listened to the bill’s sponsor and also listened to physicians at the five children’s hospitals in Ohio. He said he listed to families of youth, some who had negative experiences and detransitioned, and those who said gender-affirming treatment saved their child’s life.

“They told me their child is alive only because they received care,” he said, adding that he thinks people on both sides truly believe they are trying to protect youth.

While the law would impact only a very small number of children, but the consequences of the bill would be profound.

“Ultimately, I believe this is about protecting human life,” he said. Both parents of trans kids and adults who received care told him that the care saved their lives.

“These are gut-wrenching decisions that should be made my parents and should be informed by teams of doctors who are advising them. These are parents who have watched their children suffer for years, and have real concerns their children would not survive without it… Families are basing their decisions on the best medical advice they can get.”

Shocking W from Ohio!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 11:07:03 AM »

Thanks Mike. Today really puts into perspective just how out of touch supporters of these deplorable, horrendous, and anti-family laws are.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2023, 11:40:21 AM »

Thanks Mike. Today really puts into perspective just how out of touch supporters of these deplorable, horrendous, and anti-family laws are.

Yup, though not that surprising from DeWine. He has been among the better GOP govs in the country and even reacted with rational policies toward the Covid pandemic.
Redban

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2023, 11:49:47 AM »

"You must vaccinate your children."
Mike Dewine 2020

"Government shouldn't tell individuals what to do with their children."
Mike Dewine 2023

Screw Mike Dewine. Srs, vry srs.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2023, 11:58:23 AM »

Mike Dewine 2020

Mike Dewine 2023

Yes.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2023, 12:05:31 PM »

Veto override is 3/5ths
Trans Rights Are Human Rights
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2023, 12:19:05 PM »

Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2023, 12:33:57 PM »

I say if a politician wants to vote on legislation affecting trans kids, they should have the decency to walk into a room full of them and listen - not talk, but listen, and it seems that this governor did that.  What a shame that others have not.

I predict that one day all of the bans on hormone blockers will be lifted.  That is the most important part because it allows trans teenagers to stop puberty that they will reverse.  With proper counseling and emotional support, they can begin the hormones if they so choose.  Or they can choose not to go on estrogen or testosterone.  The hormone blockers at least delay time.  The last thing a 14-year-old boy wants is to go through female puberty and vice versa.

Ohio is next door to PA, which is my old home state, so this is not a million miles away - this is a very important issue for all trans voters.  Yes we are 1% or less of the country but we shall have the right to our own liberties, especially the liberties of the youngest generations of trans people because they actually have a chance to live much fuller, much happier lives than the older generations.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2023, 12:37:22 PM »

Mike Dewine 2020

Mike Dewine 2023

You losers are still bitching over the getting the vaccine? Grow TF up man.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2023, 12:52:09 PM »

So he’s To the left of Rishi Sunak on this .
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2023, 01:00:18 PM »

DeWine probably enjoys filling the niche of being a Republican governor that gets praised by the Democrats sometimes. Polis is the Democratic version. Phil Scott doesn't really count as he is a Democrat-in-all-but-name.

The Senate versions are Joe Manchin and Mitt Romney.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2023, 01:29:52 PM »

Mike Dewine 2020

Mike Dewine 2023

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2023, 01:32:41 PM »

Mike Dewine 2020

Mike Dewine 2023

You losers are still bitching over the getting the vaccine? Grow TF up man.

Given the 2020 date and the reference to "must," he appears to be talking about regular childhood vaccines and not the COVID one. Yikes, even for him.
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2023, 01:38:36 PM »

Mike Dewine 2020

Mike Dewine 2023

Stop DeWhining!
Redban

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2023, 01:41:51 PM »

I say if a politician wants to vote on legislation affecting trans kids, they should have the decency to walk into a room full of them and listen - not talk, but listen, and it seems that this governor did that.  What a shame that others have not.

I predict that one day all of the bans on hormone blockers will be lifted.  That is the most important part because it allows trans teenagers to stop puberty that they will reverse.  With proper counseling and emotional support, they can begin the hormones if they so choose.  Or they can choose not to go on estrogen or testosterone.  The hormone blockers at least delay time.  The last thing a 14-year-old boy wants is to go through female puberty and vice versa.

Ohio is next door to PA, which is my old home state, so this is not a million miles away - this is a very important issue for all trans voters.  Yes we are 1% or less of the country but we shall have the right to our own liberties, especially the liberties of the youngest generations of trans people because they actually have a chance to live much fuller, much happier lives than the older generations.

A minor can't even get a tattoo, but you want them to be able to get on puberty blockers???
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2023, 01:43:13 PM »

DeWine has always been one of the worst people in politics. He was also very anti-gun for most of his career. Fortunately, the Kasich/DeWine wing of the OH GOP is dying.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2023, 01:48:44 PM »

I say if a politician wants to vote on legislation affecting trans kids, they should have the decency to walk into a room full of them and listen - not talk, but listen, and it seems that this governor did that.  What a shame that others have not.

I predict that one day all of the bans on hormone blockers will be lifted.  That is the most important part because it allows trans teenagers to stop puberty that they will reverse.  With proper counseling and emotional support, they can begin the hormones if they so choose.  Or they can choose not to go on estrogen or testosterone.  The hormone blockers at least delay time.  The last thing a 14-year-old boy wants is to go through female puberty and vice versa.

Ohio is next door to PA, which is my old home state, so this is not a million miles away - this is a very important issue for all trans voters.  Yes we are 1% or less of the country but we shall have the right to our own liberties, especially the liberties of the youngest generations of trans people because they actually have a chance to live much fuller, much happier lives than the older generations.

A minor can't even get a tattoo, but you want them to be able to get on puberty blockers???

Yes? If the patient, their parents, and their doctors all agree that it is the appropriate, who the hell am I to say they can't? This is a private family decision.

(Also there are plenty of legal avenues for a minor to get a tattoo with parental permission in many areas, so your analogy fails right there.)
Persephone
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.35

P
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2023, 02:01:32 PM »

Awesome, this is a private decision for a parent, a child, and a licensed medical professional to make. I thought Republicans wanted the government to stay out of healthcare? What about all that talk of parental rights and choice? Guess it doesn't matter if they have a chance to enforce their radical ideas. Good on DeWine for listening to parents and trans kids instead of the very loud minority.

The whole transgender thing is already tough enough for families, the last thing we need is some fool from the government in the doctor's office when they have no business being there.

These bans probably have a shelf life of about twenty years. Eventually all these kids are gonna grow up and transition anyway. We'll soon learn the only thing these laws did was hurt people and make their already tough lives even harder.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2023, 02:02:50 PM »

He is definitely one of the best Republicans currently in office.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2023, 02:37:51 PM »

Easy for him to do this since his Political Career is all but over since he can't run for another Term. Allowing biological Men to compete in Women's Sports is just plain wrong.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2023, 02:39:11 PM »

Awesome, this is a private decision for a parent, a child, and a licensed medical professional to make. I thought Republicans wanted the government to stay out of healthcare? What about all that talk of parental rights and choice? Guess it doesn't matter if they have a chance to enforce their radical ideas. Good on DeWine for listening to parents and trans kids instead of the very loud minority.

The whole transgender thing is already tough enough for families, the last thing we need is some fool from the government in the doctor's office when they have no business being there.

These bans probably have a shelf life of about twenty years. Eventually all these kids are gonna grow up and transition anyway. We'll soon learn the only thing these laws did was hurt people and make their already tough lives even harder.

Perhaps, but also a lot a future GOP adminstration can do to de facto nationally eliminate the procedures for everyone.

1. Schedule estrogen like testosterone is
2. Liability reform to remove it - a whole lot is riding on Obama care guidelines
3. Effectively ban transition within the entire federal service - an EO can mandate using someone's birth gender

DeWine is a vanishing breed. Among younger Rs who will staff the next Adminstration the ideal number of transitions is 0
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2023, 02:57:08 PM »

Easy for him to do this since his Political Career is all but over since he can't run for another Term. Allowing biological Men to compete in Women's Sports is just plain wrong.

Missing the point like your side always does. If the sports thing were all that was in the bill, it would have passed overwhelmingly and not been vetoed. But no, Republicans always have to take it too far and try to ban teenagers from being transgender altogether, regardless of what the parents think about it.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2023, 02:58:44 PM »

Perhaps, but also a lot a future GOP adminstration can do to de facto nationally eliminate the procedures for everyone.

1. Schedule estrogen like testosterone is
2. Liability reform to remove it - a whole lot is riding on Obama care guidelines
3. Effectively ban transition within the entire federal service - an EO can mandate using someone's birth gender

DeWine is a vanishing breed. Among younger Rs who will staff the next Adminstration the ideal number of transitions is 0
The next Governor of Ohio, likely to be Lt. Gov Jon Husted will reverse this. Hands Down!
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2023, 03:13:00 PM »

The whole point of puberty blockers is to prevent a trans teenager from going through a puberty that is not in accordance with how they live.  It has to be done when they are a teenager.

This is done to let them go through puberty the way all the other kids do - during the time it's supposed to happen.

This "only until 18" thing doesn't work with puberty because puberty occurs before the age of 18.  Nobody wants to go through puberty when they are 30 years old, that's not what anyone wants.

And I would not object to allowing a 15-year-old to get a small tattoo.  If that was my child that asked for it, I would just say, let's wait a few months and if you really want one, get something tiny like a heart or something.

If I had a child that was trans, I'd most certainly know before they were even close to being a teenager, and I'd let them live how they wanted, and that's the way it is with many families today.

The trans population is as much as it is Kindergarten-age as any other age... these are kids who are already living their lives, and of course there's no need for anything at that age - they can be boys and girls, and just be treated like the other kids.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2023, 03:17:46 PM »

Who else would need puberty blockers besides minors? Do you know what puberty blockers are?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies