United Kingdom General Election: July 4, 2024
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:32:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom General Election: July 4, 2024
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 53
Author Topic: United Kingdom General Election: July 4, 2024  (Read 45372 times)
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: March 09, 2024, 03:07:59 AM »

It strikes me how little headway the Lib Dems have been making, still polling below the 2019 result. For the Tories to fall sub-100 seats you’d surely need to see the Lib Dems breaking 16%.

The thing is that they will probably do badly nearly everywhere they are not targeting, so the national share may be misleading and what's really important is how they are doing in their target seats. If that Godalming & Ash poll we got is both accurate and typical, then the Tory slump will be enough on its own in places like that, and with Labour clearly third (and who would think Labour could win there anyway?) it shouldn't be too hard to squeeze the Labour vote a bit to seal the deal.

The main effect of their current weakness in national vote share is that in some more optimistic targets (Maidenhead is an example) models are currently showing them behind Labour, and while they will still no doubt draw bar charts based on the last General Election result it may be harder to get the squeeze going. And that may lead to some Tory holds on a low vote share, or if the Tory performance is catastrophic enough to some very weird Labour gains. (Electoral Calculus has Labour winning Chichester!) I think that if the Tories really are as low as 20% then FPTP won't be kind to them.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #251 on: March 09, 2024, 03:20:06 AM »

It strikes me how little headway the Lib Dems have been making, still polling below the 2019 result. For the Tories to fall sub-100 seats you’d surely need to see the Lib Dems breaking 16%.

The thing is that they will probably do badly nearly everywhere they are not targeting, so the national share may be misleading and what's really important is how they are doing in their target seats. If that Godalming & Ash poll we got is both accurate and typical, then the Tory slump will be enough on its own in places like that, and with Labour clearly third (and who would think Labour could win there anyway?) it shouldn't be too hard to squeeze the Labour vote a bit to seal the deal.

The main effect of their current weakness in national vote share is that in some more optimistic targets (Maidenhead is an example) models are currently showing them behind Labour, and while they will still no doubt draw bar charts based on the last General Election result it may be harder to get the squeeze going. And that may lead to some Tory holds on a low vote share, or if the Tory performance is catastrophic enough to some very weird Labour gains. (Electoral Calculus has Labour winning Chichester!) I think that if the Tories really are as low as 20% then FPTP won't be kind to them.

On the last point, it's worth noting that there are quite a few seats in the big cities where Labour can't achieve the swing that the current national polls show even if the Tories go down to literally 0% and Labour to 100%.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #252 on: March 09, 2024, 06:19:51 AM »

Various tidbits here about a May election still possibly being on.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/why-labour-tories-believe-general-election-may_uk_65eaff66e4b026052a535b1c

It cites 20/03 (after PMQs) and 23/03 as the dates when it could be announced.

oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #253 on: March 09, 2024, 06:48:56 AM »

First poll to have the Tories below 20% since Truss I believe, and one of the few in the entire history of polling. Not the most reputable of pollsters but still quite amusing.

How does this translate to a seat count? Tories in low double digits?

24 seats according to Electoral Calculus, in practice lower due to tactical voting, maybe zero seats in England and Wales.

Maidenhead goes Labour (Theresa May retiring not a surprise).
Richmond goes Labour (Sunak's seat).

that's...cataclysmic. How will they even bounce from that? how will they elect a new leader given that the 1922 committee will be simply 5-6 Scottish MPs? Are they doing a Canada 1993 moment?

It's a possibility that cannot be ignored.

But it's very similar to the LD position in 2015, including the delusion their MP's will be judged individually by voters.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #254 on: March 09, 2024, 06:54:13 AM »

Labour entered the 1997 campaign on 55% of the vote - in what universe?
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #255 on: March 09, 2024, 07:41:32 AM »

Labour entered the 1997 campaign on 55% of the vote - in what universe?

There were actually quite a few polls putting them on about that in March and early April 1997; the highest was 58% from Harris on 17 March. It should be noted, however, that the Tories' vote share didn't increase very much and the one they got in the election was if anything slightly below what the polls had been giving them in January and February and indeed in much of the campaign.

(I'm not convinced this is very relevant, anyway. Opinion polling has changed a lot.)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #256 on: March 09, 2024, 08:49:17 AM »

It was the Lib Dems that did well during the 1997 campaign itself, which could potentially be good news for Ed Davey (especially if any more shock polls come out where leader of opposition could be a contested position).
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #257 on: March 09, 2024, 09:01:41 AM »

It was the Lib Dems that did well during the 1997 campaign itself, which could potentially be good news for Ed Davey (especially if any more shock polls come out where leader of opposition could be a contested position).
Not the case in 2015, 2017 or 2019 though, and Davey does not strike me as somebody about to inspire a wave of enthusiasm (the previous Lib Dem campaign surges largely involved getting people who’d voted for them at the last election to return, along with positive attention given to the party during the campaign).
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #258 on: March 09, 2024, 11:32:54 AM »

I don't know if this has already been said here, but at this point if Sunak does not call a May election I will not be surprised to eventually see a poll with the Tories third (behind Reform UK). That obviously won't happen at the GE but one poll would be humiliating enough.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #259 on: March 09, 2024, 11:34:44 AM »

10% and 25 seats is realistically their aim.

But 25 seats might be enough to fight the SNP for Leader of Opposition.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #260 on: March 09, 2024, 11:45:33 AM »

I don't know if this has already been said here, but at this point if Sunak does not call a May election I will not be surprised to eventually see a poll with the Tories third (behind Reform UK). That obviously won't happen at the GE but one poll would be humiliating enough.

The thing is Sunak is doomed anyway.

He's probably after a CEO job like Nick Clegg, so PM 2022-25 looks better on his CV than 2022-24.

He was never a party man, so I don't think he cares if the Conservatives survive if he can squeeze another few months on the top job.

It's all very LD 2015, even down to leadership hopefulls thinking they will retain their seats and run  for the leadership afterwards, like Vince Cable.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #261 on: March 09, 2024, 11:53:52 AM »

He's probably after a CEO job like Nick Clegg, so PM 2022-25 looks better on his CV than 2022-24.

He was never a party man, so I don't think he cares if the Conservatives survive if he can squeeze another few months on the top job.

It's all very LD 2015, even down to leadership hopefulls thinking they will retain their seats and run  for the leadership afterwards, like Vince Cable.

Sunak won't be PM for a single femtosecond of 2025, even if he expects or desires to be. I reckon he could be toppled at Conference if he hasn't called the election or at least indicated a (pre-Christmas) date for it by then. Talking of which, hasn't it been indicated that the 2023 Conference season was the last before the election anyway?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #262 on: March 09, 2024, 12:15:55 PM »

Sunak won't be PM for a single femtosecond of 2025, even if he expects or desires to be. I reckon he could be toppled at Conference if he hasn't called the election or at least indicated a (pre-Christmas) date for it by then. Talking of which, hasn't it been indicated that the 2023 Conference season was the last before the election anyway?

Labour's 2024 Annual Conference is currently scheduled for Liverpool from Sun. 22 Sept. - Wed. 25 Sept., as is the 2024 Tory Conference for Birmingham from Sun. 29 Sept. - Wed. 2 Oct. Idk if that's just on-paper tho 🤷
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #263 on: March 09, 2024, 12:28:09 PM »

Not the case in 2015, 2017 or 2019 though, and Davey does not strike me as somebody about to inspire a wave of enthusiasm (the previous Lib Dem campaign surges largely involved getting people who’d voted for them at the last election to return, along with positive attention given to the party during the campaign).

Yes, Davey is a drag (really any coalition experience is a minus not a plus) and they would be in a better position installing moran as leader, who i think would play well on stage. What i am thinking is an election campaign where Tories are clearly losing the plot (senior figures already capitulating and playing leadership races during the campaign) and it looks like Labour is going to completely break fptp and win everything, the Lib Dems might be in a good position to "keep the bastards honest". (We stand for good vibes is never a bad campaign for them, just one they haven't been able to play after the coalition or during the brexit years)
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #264 on: March 09, 2024, 12:34:05 PM »

Would there be enough time to topple him in October and install a new Leader before the inevitable January election ?

I don't think so, the last chance to replace Sunak would be in July.

Instead most likely it's months of leadership hopefulls doing the media rounds before getting the Portillo treatment, and they end up with David Mundell as post-election leader as the only Minister or ex-Minister still an MP.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #265 on: March 09, 2024, 01:28:06 PM »

Yes, Davey is a drag (really any coalition experience is a minus not a plus) and they would be in a better position installing moran as leader, who i think would play well on stage. What i am thinking is an election campaign where Tories are clearly losing the plot (senior figures already capitulating and playing leadership races during the campaign) and it looks like Labour is going to completely break fptp and win everything, the Lib Dems might be in a good position to "keep the bastards honest". (We stand for good vibes is never a bad campaign for them, just one they haven't been able to play after the coalition or during the brexit years)

I'm not sure I agree, but it's really hard to say without seeing how Davey performs in a campaign (and even then the counterfactual of Moran or someone else (e.g., Daisy Cooper) as leader would not be shown).

There are I think two things the Lib Dems might want to do: First, present a safe pair of hands for voters who are abandoning the Tories but don't want to vote Labour directly or elect a Labour MP (for this I think Davey is best suited), which is a play for a solid comeback in seats and maybe even OO if the Tories completely collapse (I'd only give this about 5-10% chance of happening, but it's not impossible), but not a play for 100+ seats, and, second, make at least a semi-serious claim to want to lead the country (for which I think a "fresh face" such as Moran or Cooper is best suited). The latter is obviously more of a "go-big" strategy, but I don't really think an election where Labour are the inevitable victors is necessarily the right time to try it.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #266 on: March 09, 2024, 01:33:59 PM »

Would there be enough time to topple him in October and install a new Leader before the inevitable January election ?

Instead most likely it's months of leadership hopefulls doing the media rounds before getting the Portillo treatment, and they end up with David Mundell as post-election leader as the only Minister or ex-Minister still an MP.

Sunak himself was installed within a matter of days.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #267 on: March 09, 2024, 01:42:35 PM »

Sunak himself was installed within a matter of days.

That required the fixing up of the election for him by Graham Brady, after that fiasco it's obvious they can't do that again.

They will have to do a proper leadership election, so it's July or retirement for the likes of Badenoch, Mordaunt, Gove, Hunt ect.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #268 on: March 09, 2024, 02:28:31 PM »

That required the fixing up of the election for him by Graham Brady, after that fiasco it's obvious they can't do that again.

They will have to do a proper leadership election, so it's July or retirement for the likes of Badenoch, Mordaunt, Gove, Hunt ect.

Wait - you think that, as their desperation deepens, the Tories are going to pay *more* attention to the rules rather than less? If they're in enough trouble that they end up triggering a coup against their third leader in three years, civility is going to be the last thing on their minds.

It's either a repeat of Oct 2022, or four hours in a smoke-filled-room. The chances of them doing a Sunak vs Truss contest, where they spend months navel-gazing and touring the country for hustings are less than zero.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #269 on: March 09, 2024, 02:33:58 PM »

Wait - you think that, as their desperation deepens, the Tories are going to pay *more* attention to the rules rather than less? If they're in enough trouble that they end up triggering a coup against their third leader in three years, civility is going to be the last thing on their minds.

It's either a repeat of Oct 2022, or four hours in a smoke-filled-room. The chances of them doing a Sunak vs Truss contest, where they spend months navel-gazing and touring the country for hustings are less than zero.

I suppose he's saying that the party is too fractured to even form a smoke filled room to install Moudaunt or Gove or someone without literally causing a party split and going full Liberal Civil War in the election.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #270 on: March 09, 2024, 02:50:47 PM »

I suppose he's saying that the party is too fractured to even form a smoke filled room to install Moudaunt or Gove or someone without literally causing a party split and going full Liberal Civil War in the election.

That's fair. I'm working off the assumption that self-preservation will win out over anarchy at the end of the day. But if things get enough to trigger coup #3, who can say?
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #271 on: March 09, 2024, 03:29:22 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2024, 03:37:44 PM by oldtimer »

That's fair. I'm working off the assumption that self-preservation will win out over anarchy at the end of the day. But if things get enough to trigger coup #3, who can say?

Once again I compare them to the 2015 LD's.

Only 8 out of 57 of their MP's got reelected, yet none of the other 49 who lost had the balls or the brains for self-preservation.

Both Simon Hughes and Vince Cable, who thought they would succeed Nick Clegg, lost their seats.

Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

If they are receiving such advice like Crewe's in private of course it's no surprise they make bad irrational choices.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #272 on: March 09, 2024, 03:36:14 PM »

The funny thing is that speculation about a May election is flaring up again. Apparently some Tories are privately saying that things can only get worse (that wouldn't be a popular campaign song) if they go beyond May. Of course it will soon be known for certain whether there will be a May election or not.

Lmao, I briefly thought "May election" Tories considered to bring back Theresa May.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #273 on: March 09, 2024, 03:58:53 PM »

The funny thing is that speculation about a May election is flaring up again. Apparently some Tories are privately saying that things can only get worse (that wouldn't be a popular campaign song) if they go beyond May. Of course it will soon be known for certain whether there will be a May election or not.

Lmao, I briefly thought "May election" Tories considered to bring back Theresa May.
Even that wouldn't change anything.

To be brief, Blair in 1995 was right:
Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #274 on: March 10, 2024, 08:04:20 AM »
« Edited: March 10, 2024, 08:16:20 AM by CumbrianLefty »

Some papers claiming that Sunak has virtually ruled out a May election, with the Sunday Times saying a further "fiscal event" is planned in the autumn.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 53  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies