Bush's demographic key to victory in Ohio: the state's African American vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:06:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Bush's demographic key to victory in Ohio: the state's African American vote
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bush's demographic key to victory in Ohio: the state's African American vote  (Read 978 times)
UWS
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 22, 2023, 02:12:49 AM »

The outcome of the 2004 election came down to Ohio as this state has made the difference in bringing President George W. Bush with 286 electoral votes. As I watched the results in Ohio, I saw that President Bush made significant progress among Ohio African American voters with a 7 percent increase compared to 2000 and obtaining 16 % of that state's African American electorate that accounted for 10 % of the vote in Ohio and helping Dubya win Cincinnati and to perform well in Columbus and ensuring his win in state of Ohio

https://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/states/OH/P/00/epolls.0.html
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 01:53:24 AM »

Not sure if that alone did it.  Helped but I also think security helped hold GOP strength in Columbus and Cincinnati metro area while his social conservativism helped bring out some White Evangelicals who stayed home in 2000.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 08:22:28 AM »

Maybe that DUI revelation was 2000's version of the Comey letter in 2016.

I think Bush would have done similarly in 2000 as he did in 2004 if it wasn't for that. Or at least only half as worse. There would have been no question about Florida and he would have won the popular vote but for the DUI thing. He might have been able to flip Iowa and New Mexico.

His improvement amongst black people in Ohio counts for 70% of his margins, which in itself is interesting, especially given what people are saying about PoCs becoming interested in MAGA. That's another story to.

So maybe Bush's performance was a mix of a reversion to the true mean plus what really good Republican campaigns can do.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2024, 07:14:29 AM »

And as Bush performed so well among the Hispanics it likely helped him in Columbus, Cincinnati and Cleveland where the Latinos are the most concentrated in Ohio.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2024, 01:42:51 PM »

Ohio still swung left overall and actually ended up left of the nation for the first time since 1972. I'd argue Kerry's fall with the Appalachian vote was more critical.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2024, 01:51:08 PM »

Maybe 9/11 and the fallout from it made race less salient than usual?
Joe McCarthy Was Right
Rookie
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2024, 12:45:48 AM »

And as Bush performed so well among the Hispanics it likely helped him in Columbus, Cincinnati and Cleveland where the Latinos are the most concentrated in Ohio.
Bush still did worse than 2000 in Franklin, Hamilton, and Cuyahoga. It is for that reason I think black voters actually hurt Bush in Ohio. Even if you take exit polls at face value (but you shouldn't), an increase in black turnout would have canceled out percentage gains.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies