Arson attack at refugee hostel in Ireland
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:03:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Arson attack at refugee hostel in Ireland
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Arson attack at refugee hostel in Ireland  (Read 948 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2023, 12:19:48 PM »

https://www.vice.com/en/article/93km3d/asylum-hostel-burned-ireland

suspected arson at a hotel in remote Rosscahill is the latest in a wave of attacks on asylum seeker housing, amid rising anti-immigrant rhetoric fuelled by far-right groups.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2023, 01:48:02 PM »

Absolutely horrific.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2023, 07:54:16 PM »

As many Irish people themselves have pointed out; the Irish having an issue with others seeking refuge or immigrating is especially rich. Hopefully the vast majority of Ireland, whom I firmly believe to be of saner heads, will swiftly clamp down on these thugs.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2023, 08:53:43 PM »

As many Irish people themselves have pointed out; the Irish having an issue with others seeking refuge or immigrating is especially rich. Hopefully the vast majority of Ireland, whom I firmly believe to be of saner heads, will swiftly clamp down on these thugs.

Why is that rich, I mean I get why a stupid person would find it rich, but here’s the thing… the Irish are descendants of the people who didn’t leave the island, they did not get refuge elsewhere they tough it out.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2023, 09:04:24 PM »

Obviously as Sanchez said the terrorism is bad
How is it hypocritical? It isn't like these Irish people left Ireland, they have lived on that island for centuries or millennia. They certainly weren't the colonizers either and infact were colonized.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2023, 09:09:35 PM »

Why is that rich, I mean I get why a stupid person would find it rich, but here’s the thing… the Irish are descendants of the people who didn’t leave the island, they did not get refuge elsewhere they tough it out.

“You Don’t Get to Be Racist and Irish,” “We emigrated/We immigrated/We took refuge/So cannot refuse/When it’s our time/ To return the favor.”

If you've gotten an issue with this, take it up with Imelda May. But it's a sentiment I've seen many Irish people expressing after the Dublin riots and as anti-refugee sentiment has continue to be stoked by bad actors.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2023, 06:13:43 AM »

The low life who did this will frequent conspiracy theory sites on the net, there is nothing surer.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2023, 06:57:15 AM »

The low life who did this will frequent conspiracy theory sites on the net, there is nothing surer.
those people don't go outside their houses much, and when they do the casualty rate is higher on account of higher sophistication.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2023, 07:56:40 AM »

“You Don’t Get to Be Racist and Irish,” “We emigrated/We immigrated/We took refuge/So cannot refuse/When it’s our time/ To return the favor.”

If you've gotten an issue with this, take it up with Imelda May. But it's a sentiment I've seen many Irish people expressing after the Dublin riots and as anti-refugee sentiment has continue to be stoked by bad actors.

I mean, the views of Imelda May, Irish emigrés and the residents of Dunleary and the posher postcodes of Dublin, as expressed on Twitter or otherwise, are unlikely to reflect the sentiments of people living in rural and small town Galway (well, even Galway “City” itself is a small town) and Ireland more generally.
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2023, 01:58:39 PM »

Justice must be done
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2023, 02:11:12 PM »

*Unless you ask them about the Jewish Question.

Ireland collaborated with the Nazis in World War II. They rejected taking in Jewish orphans during the Holocaust. And even now, the majority of Irish people are pro-Hamas.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2023, 04:02:16 PM »

*Unless you ask them about the Jewish Question.

Ireland collaborated with the Nazis in World War II. They rejected taking in Jewish orphans during the Holocaust. And even now, the majority of Irish people are pro-Hamas.

The last one is… debatable. Even Shinners (very reluctantly and very whataboutishly) condemned Hamas, just like they (very reluctantly and very whataboutishly) condemned Putin last year. But you’re right about the rest and it’s really just the top of the iceberg. De Valera literally signed Hitler’s condolence book after his suicide. The most important foreign policy issue in 1930s Ireland — other than the de Valera’s bright idea to start a trade war with Britain — was FF and FG trying to one up each other as to who is a bigger supporter of Francisco Franco. Ireland even sent a volunteer contingent to Spain to fight on Franco’s side.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2023, 04:47:06 PM »

Citation needed.

Agree with the rest.
rob in cal
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2023, 05:20:26 PM »

Didn’t huge numbers of Irish fight in the British armed forces during WW2, in spite of Irelands neutral status?
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2023, 09:38:54 PM »

Didn’t huge numbers of Irish fight in the British armed forces during WW2, in spite of Irelands neutral status?

Eamon de Valera sent a letter of condolences to the Nazi ambassador on May 2, 1945. If the President of the United States had done that, they would lose renomination or even be impeached. Valera would go on to serve several more years as PM and then fourteen years as President.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2023, 11:38:02 PM »

Eamon de Valera sent a letter of condolences to the Nazi ambassador on May 2, 1945. If the President of the United States had done that, they would lose renomination or even be impeached. Valera would go on to serve several more years as PM and then fourteen years as President.

If USA had not taken part in WW2 and the POTUS had done this, no he would not have lots denomination or been impeached not in 1945.

People need to understand that people perceived Hitler, Germany and the Nazi quite different at the time, not more positively but more like just another unpleasant regime, more like Taliban than ISIS.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2023, 08:53:49 AM »

Yes, the claim that Ireland "collaborated with the Nazis" is at best wildly exaggerated and at worst an actual malicious fabrication. On the whole they were *much* more helpful to the Allies than the Axis powers during WW2, the officious pedantry of de Valera over stuff like Hitler's death notwithstanding.

And that is even without taking into account the many Irish who fought against Germany and Japan - yes they were quite often treated shabbily post-war, but that is a different story.

YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2023, 09:16:34 AM »

Yes, the claim that Ireland "collaborated with the Nazis" is at best wildly exaggerated and at worst an actual malicious fabrication. On the whole they were *much* more helpful to the Allies than the Axis powers during WW2, the officious pedantry of de Valera over stuff like Hitler's death notwithstanding.

And that is even without taking into account the many Irish who fought against Germany and Japan - yes they were quite often treated shabbily post-war, but that is a different story.

Yes, I'd quite like to see those making or endorsing the "collaborated with the Nazis" claim explain what they are talking about.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2023, 10:00:44 AM »

Of course some may be thinking of the IRA, who *were* pretty much outright pro-Germany.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2023, 10:21:57 PM »

Of course some may be thinking of the IRA, who *were* pretty much outright pro-Germany.

And, of course, Sinn Fein (who virtually all of these 'you can't be racist and irish' people vote for) is literally the political arm of the IRA.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2023, 12:49:42 AM »

And, of course, Sinn Fein (who virtually all of these 'you can't be racist and irish' people vote for) is literally the political arm of the IRA.
Thankfully the hitlerites in the party got sidelined a half century ago Smiley
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2023, 01:28:20 AM »

Mary Lou McDonald has never tweeted the words "Jew" "Jews" "Jewish" or "Holocaust".

She's tweeted about Muslims and Islam over a dozen times.

Jews in Ireland are a small minority, and I have no doubt McDonald wants that number smaller still.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2023, 01:42:32 AM »

Mary Lou McDonald has never tweeted the words "Jew" "Jews" "Jewish" or "Holocaust".

Jews in Ireland are a small minority, and I have no doubt McDonald wants that number smaller still.
Clutch your pearls elsewhere
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2023, 01:46:48 AM »

She wants to be Taoiseach, PSOL. This isn't just some Twitter rando saying dumb sh**t.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2023, 04:40:47 AM »

She wants to be Taoiseach, PSOL. This isn't just some Twitter rando saying dumb sh**t.
No matter which party is in power in Ireland, that isn't going to change their foreign policy.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies