2024 Alberta NDP leadership election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:22:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2024 Alberta NDP leadership election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2024 Alberta NDP leadership election  (Read 3928 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« on: December 20, 2023, 01:31:36 PM »

Any chance the party can attract someone like Nenshi to run?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 09:36:54 AM »

How right wing are the card carrying members of the party though? I mean, these are the people that turfed Mulcair (convention was in Edmonton). And remember, card carrying members are also federal members. Probably a not too insignificant number are Strathcona progressives.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2024, 08:06:02 PM »

Nenshi is considering running!!! https://calgaryherald.com/news/politics/naheed-nenshi-considering-bid-alberta-ndp-leadership

This is very exciting news. Hopefully he does indeed enter the race.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 04:32:18 PM »

Nenshi is considering running!!! https://calgaryherald.com/news/politics/naheed-nenshi-considering-bid-alberta-ndp-leadership

Since you're a New Democrat I don't understand your excitement at a provincial ND party being led by a person who has not been a New Democrat.

I've always liked Nenshi as a politician. Of course, I don't always agree with him, and he may not be a social democrat, but let's face it.. the NDP in Alberta is basically just a coalition of non-Conservatives these days. As long as it has a chance of winning, it should be trying to pick leaders who have the best chance of doing so.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2024, 12:05:41 PM »

Since you're a New Democrat I don't understand your excitement at a provincial ND party being led by a person who has not been a New Democrat.

I've always liked Nenshi as a politician. Of course, I don't always agree with him, and he may not be a social democrat, but let's face it.. the NDP in Alberta is basically just a coalition of non-Conservatives these days. As long as it has a chance of winning, it should be trying to pick leaders who have the best chance of doing so.

To some extent, I wish UCP and NDP weren't the only options in Alberta politics and smaller parties (such as the Alberta Party) could gain some ground amongst the non-UCP vote.

The problem with having any centrist third party is that it will siphon votes off from the NDP. You can see from the last provincial election that almost all AP 2019 votes went to the NDP.  As I stated, it is now the catch-all non Conservative party.

Though the way to avoid that as a standing risk is to do better in general; to try to turn what can be a vicious cycle into a virtuous one. Then maybe you get some of the more social democratically compatible Liberals think sometimes about leaping the other way.

Just today!:
B.C. Liberal MP Aldag in talks with provincial NDP to run in the fall election
MP John Aldag denies he's considering a provincial run for the B.C. NDP because of the unpopularity of the Trudeau Liberals federally.
The Hill Times (firewall protected.)

This is quite interesting. I've heard of BC NDPers going Liberal federally, but I'm not aware of the reverse. Usually federal Liberals have run for the provincial Liberals as well.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2024, 09:46:43 AM »

To some extent, I wish UCP and NDP weren't the only options in Alberta politics and smaller parties (such as the Alberta Party) could gain some ground amongst the non-UCP vote.

The problem with having any centrist third party is that it will siphon votes off from the NDP. You can see from the last provincial election that almost all AP 2019 votes went to the NDP.  As I stated, it is now the catch-all non Conservative party.

Though the way to avoid that as a standing risk is to do better in general; to try to turn what can be a vicious cycle into a virtuous one. Then maybe you get some of the more social democratically compatible Liberals think sometimes about leaping the other way.

Just today!:
B.C. Liberal MP Aldag in talks with provincial NDP to run in the fall election
MP John Aldag denies he's considering a provincial run for the B.C. NDP because of the unpopularity of the Trudeau Liberals federally.
The Hill Times (firewall protected.)

This is quite interesting. I've heard of BC NDPers going Liberal federally, but I'm not aware of the reverse. Usually federal Liberals have run for the provincial Liberals as well.

I don't know why I did this, but for some reason I made a note in an old notebook of a Federal Liberal nomination in Calgary back in 2004 and NDP MLA Joe Ceci lost a federal Liberal nomination.

Also, Annie McKitrick who was a Richmond B.C School Trustee lost a Federal Liberal nomination in Richmond was a one term Alberta NDP MLA from 2015-2019 for Sherwood Park.

Are there any cases of a federal Liberal running for the provincial NDP in BC though? There are cases of BC New Democrats later running for the federal Liberals, but are there cases of the reverse happening?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2024, 02:50:32 PM »

His video is interesting. Uses orange and his personal brand of purple interchangeably. It also had a Tommy Douglas quote.

I think he will win quite easily. Will be interesting to see what happens with the caucus, none of whom support him (yet).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2024, 10:48:06 AM »

His video is interesting. Uses orange and his personal brand of purple interchangeably. It also had a Tommy Douglas quote.

I think he will win quite easily. Will be interesting to see what happens with the caucus, none of whom support him (yet).

Actually, at least one MLA supports him. Court Ellingson from Calgary is his campaign co-chair...also another Calgary MLA Kamir Kayande has endorsed him too

Yup, and Calgary City Councillor (and 2022 NDP candidate) Druh Farrell also endorsed him. Great to see he's got a bit of caucus support.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2024, 09:05:47 AM »

Jann Arden has also endorsed Nenshi.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2024, 03:34:56 PM »

It's not even going to be close
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2024, 02:20:33 PM »

Let's face it, this race is going to come down to... Nenshi. There's no way anyone else will be able to win.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies