Slotkin worried she will be dragged down by Biden
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:47:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Slotkin worried she will be dragged down by Biden
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Slotkin worried she will be dragged down by Biden  (Read 979 times)
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 18, 2023, 11:55:10 AM »

Prepare to see more of this later in the campaign. Democrats could start distancing themselves from Biden.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 12:06:57 PM »

She also said polls were underestimating Trump in summer of 2020....and she was right. Hopefully Craig runs a cruddy campaign and loses the primary, he scares me the most
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 02:05:05 PM »

“Give me more money, please!”
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 02:08:18 PM »

Push out Biden and Harris. Dean Phillips it is!
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2023, 02:27:14 PM »

It's pretty funny how in 2020 we were told that we needed to nominate someone more moderate like Biden instead of Bernie or Liz Warren because the latter two would drag down the rest of the Democratic ticket and now here we are 4 years later being told that Biden is going to drag down the rest of the ticket
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2023, 02:38:18 PM »

It's pretty funny how in 2020 we were told that we needed to nominate someone more moderate like Biden instead of Bernie or Liz Warren because the latter two would drag down the rest of the Democratic ticket and now here we are 4 years later being told that Biden is going to drag down the rest of the ticket
Noted BernieBro Alben Barkley
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2023, 04:21:18 PM »

She also said polls were underestimating Trump in summer of 2020....and she was right. Hopefully Craig runs a cruddy campaign and loses the primary, he scares me the most

Craig doesn’t strike a lot of confidence in me ever since his paperwork scandal.

Rogers on the other hand…
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2023, 06:00:48 PM »

She’s not wrong to worry about that — she’d easily have beaten this particular GOP field if this seat had been up in 2022. The fact that it’s up in 2024 and Biden is leading the ticket is about the only hope Republicans have here. People like Rogers, Hovde, and McCormick are horrendously out of touch with a lot of the folks who have been souring on the national Democratic party in the last decade — many of these "stellar GOP recruits" couldn’t get elected dogcatcher in a neutral environment/midterm with the spotlight on them.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2023, 06:06:02 PM »

Lol it's 300 DAYS TIL EDAY😆😆😆, Ds are out raising Rs massively especially in the Sen, it's even in the H but the swing Districts are in CA and NY this tim, not FL in 22
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2023, 06:07:31 PM »

She's right to worry, but we're still year out from the election, Biden's chances could very well improve. Plus, she's up against a pretty weak Republican bench. I think she'll be fine in the end.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2023, 06:08:18 PM »

They are trying to scare off Ds with these Trump numbers so we don't vite
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2023, 07:11:40 PM »

She’s not wrong to worry about that — she’d easily have beaten this particular GOP field if this seat had been up in 2022. The fact that it’s up in 2024 and Biden is leading the ticket is about the only hope Republicans have here. People like Rogers, Hovde, and McCormick are horrendously out of touch with a lot of the folks who have been souring on the national Democratic party in the last decade — many of these "stellar GOP recruits" couldn’t get elected dogcatcher in a neutral environment/midterm with the spotlight on them.
Rogers is bad but he's still better than the last 2 and also I think unlike McCormick, he is not guaranteed the nomination even with NRSC backing. Craig is literally a minority police officer who was a former democrat, republican voters would love to vote for someone like that, #back the blue and prove they aren't racist
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2023, 07:12:49 PM »

Craig doesn’t strike a lot of confidence in me ever since his paperwork scandal.

Rogers on the other hand…
He has yet to prove he can run a campaign successfully but aesthetically he is much much stronger than Rogers and it's not even close.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2023, 07:50:52 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong (especially any posters from MI), but I feel like quite a few people wouldn't recognize Rogers' name anymore, or remember who he is. It doesn't seem as if he's done anything memorable or politically relevant or anything at all to keep him in the spotlight since he left Congress nearly a decade ago.

He strikes me as a James Buchanan - someone who benefitted from not being on the political scene where it could've been most problematic. Had he stayed on through the Trump years, there's a solid chance he'd either have become some anti-Trumpist (with no chance of winning a primary) or have run the risk of being too closely tied to Trump (with a tougher chance of peeling off independents in the general). Seeing as he avoided politics, he didn't need to really take a stand on Trump of any kind, and can now assume whatever posture he needs to regarding Trump without being thought of as a flip-flopper. In other words, he has a clean slate, and hasn't offended anybody or made any enemies yet.

Otoh you have Peter Meijer (who in his one term in Congress, through one singular vote, made himself one of Trump's biggest Republican enemies) and James Craig (who's already got two unsuccessful Senate campaigns under his belt along with other controversies). Rogers' biggest asset is that he carries none of that Trump-era baggage.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2023, 07:55:41 PM »

Are they seriously trying for McCormick? He gives strong Romneyish vibes, and quick reminder that Romney lost PA by quite a comfortable margin. He's not going to be winning over many Democrats since he's not going to fool many people if he attempts a "moderate" persona, and he doesn't strike me as particularly inspiring to the base, either.

Imo they should consider someone like Mike Kelly or Guy Reschenthaler. Kelly has a record of a genuine workhorse and good representative in Congress, something he can definitely tout, and given that Erie County is PA's quintessential bellwether county, flipping that (as I suppose he would) certainly wouldn't hurt. Reschenthaler is younger and can represent the "younger generation" and "a new generation of voices" (considering that Casey's seeking a fourth term, and a lot of his popularity ties back to his father, who atp many younger Pennsylvanians don't remember in the slightest).
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2023, 10:31:05 PM »

Are they seriously trying for McCormick? He gives strong Romneyish vibes, and quick reminder that Romney lost PA by quite a comfortable margin. He's not going to be winning over many Democrats since he's not going to fool many people if he attempts a "moderate" persona, and he doesn't strike me as particularly inspiring to the base, either.

Imo they should consider someone like Mike Kelly or Guy Reschenthaler. Kelly has a record of a genuine workhorse and good representative in Congress, something he can definitely tout, and given that Erie County is PA's quintessential bellwether county, flipping that (as I suppose he would) certainly wouldn't hurt. Reschenthaler is younger and can represent the "younger generation" and "a new generation of voices" (considering that Casey's seeking a fourth term, and a lot of his popularity ties back to his father, who atp many younger Pennsylvanians don't remember in the slightest).

Yes, McCormick is the presumptive nominee. Basically a "it's his turn" argument given how close the 2022 primary was.

Mike Kelly is 75 years old, and I think any bipartisan cred he might have can be pretty easily shed away by pointing out he voted against certifying the election.

Guy Reschenthaler is pretty clearly being groomed to be a future speaker. Personally, I don't like him anyways, he just comes off as a crybaby. He also voted against certifying the election.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2023, 09:25:08 AM »

Yes, McCormick is the presumptive nominee. Basically a "it's his turn" argument given how close the 2022 primary was.

Mike Kelly is 75 years old, and I think any bipartisan cred he might have can be pretty easily shed away by pointing out he voted against certifying the election.

Guy Reschenthaler is pretty clearly being groomed to be a future speaker. Personally, I don't like him anyways, he just comes off as a crybaby. He also voted against certifying the election.

Ron Johnson agrees with this message
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2023, 10:07:27 AM »

Polls aren't end all be all we still have to vote Trump hasn't made a case why he should continue his unaffordable tax cuts that's expired in 2025
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2023, 10:46:54 AM »

James Craig (who's already got two unsuccessful Senate campaigns under his belt along with other controversies)

One of the more benignly racist mistakes I have seen on this forum. (And what controversies, besides getting scammed by his political staff?)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2023, 12:15:31 PM »

The answer is still for the same reason.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2023, 02:36:55 PM »

I think, realistically, you’re vastly overestimating the importance that any persuadable voter will give to this one vote. If Democrats seriously try to prove Kelly is some partisan back based off this one vote, he can easily shoot back that Democrats are still harping about 2020 instead of focusing on the relevant issues of 2024, in order to distract from their own unsuccessful policies and to deflect attention from Biden’s unpopularity. And he wouldn’t be entirely without a point, tbh. If only focusing on Trump and muh election denialism didn’t work for McAuliffe in 2021, I can’t imagine it’d work any more successfully three years later (and in a state much less anti-Trump than Virginia).

Last I checked, you’re not even eligible to vote in PA. Now, if a significant number of Pennsylvanians concur with your assessment, that’s another story, but I’m not entirely sure that they do. I’d also argue that Rescnethaler, even if he does in fact have a whiny personality (tbh, idk, he might), he’s still more personally appealing than a rich businessman with close ties to China (even if this isn’t 100% factually correct, there’s a 100% chance this is what he will be portrayed as, and with likely success).
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2023, 04:59:32 PM »

He hasn't inhibited many down-ballot candidates post-2022.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2023, 08:15:44 PM »

He hasn't inhibited many down-ballot candidates post-2022.

Post 2022 has only been special elections to Congress and off-year state-level elections. Biden has not been nearly as significant a factor in any of these campaigns as he will be in next year's elections, especially the national elections (which includes this race).
Ron DeSantis enthusiast
FranciscoM97

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2023, 01:35:59 AM »

I don't think GOP is there for winning Michigan next year
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies