Time Magazine Article on Bidenomics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:28:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Time Magazine Article on Bidenomics
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Time Magazine Article on Bidenomics  (Read 879 times)
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 17, 2023, 11:57:30 PM »

This article is a comprehensive compilation of all the things Biden has done. Biden is limited by a lack of money, the need to do things through executive order rather than more comprehensive legislation and by time lags of people not being fully aware of what they may avail themselves of and by how long it takes for these changes to be noticeable, but even with those limitations, this is a thorough reversal of the 'Reagan Revolution.'

For anybody who 'thinks' Biden is 'senile' or incompetent, this is easily the most effective liberal presidency since at least the Truman Administration (I'd mention LBJ, but he had huge majorities in Congress and he messed it up.)

https://time.com/6343967/bidenomics-is-real-economics/
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 12:29:29 AM »

I feel like it's only been in the past few months where I've noticed a lot of proposed projects being moved forwards thanks to the Infrastructure money - here in NYC for instance it was only announced like 2 months ago funding for Second Avenue Subway and Gateway Tunnel.

There was def a lag between the money being passed and actually giving out grants for big projects. For most, I think it won't be until they start seeing physical construction they'll actually connect the dots back to the infrastructure bill, but unfortunately for Biden, there's always a lag between getting money and actually starting construction.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 02:02:24 AM »
« Edited: December 18, 2023, 02:16:21 AM by Benjamin Frank 2.0 »

One point on this:

The article mentions the concept of government spending 'crowding out' private sector spending/investment and then claims that 'targeted public investment can attract more private sector investment.'

I doubt that is the case. I think the public spending shifts private investment into certain 'favored' sectors of the economy, but doesn't increase overall investment. But, is that a bad thing?

Here in Canada, the Globe and Mail will constantly bring up failed examples of government subsidies like the infamous cucumber greenhouses (which I believe actually occurred in the 1970s!), but targeted government subsidies as part of coordinating private sector investment have been promoted going back to the late 1980s when business consultant Michael Porter advised governments to promote 'clusters' (or clustering.)

https://hbr.org/1998/11/clusters-and-the-new-economics-of-competition
From the article:
Clusters are geographic concentrations of interconnected companies and institutions in a particular field. Clusters encompass an array of linked industries and other entities important to competition. They include, for example, suppliers of specialized inputs such as components, machinery, and services, and providers of specialized infrastructure. Clusters also often extend downstream to channels and customers and laterally to manufacturers of complementary products and to companies in industries related by skills, technologies, or common inputs. Finally, many clusters include governmental and other institutions—such as universities, standards-setting agencies, think tanks, vocational training providers, and trade associations—that provide specialized training, education, information, research, and technical support.

In economics, this concept is known as 'network effects' which predate this consultant's idea of clusters. You can think of the idea of research zones (or research triangles) and how successful they are, or, similar things like Silicon Valley.

Business cluster due to the 'synergies' (aka network effects) of being located together, of having access to support businesses and universities and their research facilities and coordinating supply chains and this is more efficient than businesses locating randomly. The simple fact is, this often takes government coordination and targeted financing to happen.

This has actually been a debate going back to the 1980s in Europe when several European governments adopted 'clustering' as economic policy while Margaret Thatcher promoted 'laissez faire' private sector investment with no government involvement. While Europe isn't necessarily doing wonderfully economically and there are other factors like Brexit, the British economy is something of a basket case.

How many empirical economists can explain this to you? Damn quants.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 09:36:07 PM »

Wouldn’t any Democratic nominee do these same policies?

Furthermore, in regards to Executive orders, Biden has clearly paled in comparison to the executive orders accomplished by Barack Obama in his first term and Donald Trump in all of his term. That is jarring given the slim nature Biden had with his majority prior to the midterms and that Donald Trump had an incompetent and chaotic administration within his team.

I am a supporter of Bidenomics compared to the previous Republican administration, my problem is that there was a concerted effort at self-compromising and kabuki theatre to cast Sinemanchin as the fallout target when clearly the vast majority of Democratic Representatives didn’t want to enact progressive policies as well as foreign policy decisions that negatively impacted the economic success of both Bidenomics and the concurrent economy early on.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2023, 10:24:58 PM »

Furthermore, in regards to Executive orders, Biden has clearly paled in comparison to the executive orders accomplished by Barack Obama in his first term and Donald Trump in all of his term. That is jarring given the slim nature Biden had with his majority prior to the midterms and that Donald Trump had an incompetent and chaotic administration within his team.

I am a supporter of Bidenomics compared to the previous Republican administration, my problem is that there was a concerted effort at self-compromising and kabuki theatre to cast Sinemanchin as the fallout target when clearly the vast majority of Democratic Representatives didn’t want to enact progressive policies as well as foreign policy decisions that negatively impacted the economic success of both Bidenomics and the concurrent economy early on.

I think you answered your own question:
"my problem is that there was a concerted effort at self-compromising and kabuki theatre to cast Sinemanchin as the fallout target when clearly the vast majority of Democratic Representatives didn’t want to enact progressive policies"

I don't know if Democrats are opposed to Bidenomics or, for instance, were against the pullout in Afghanistan, but I don't think there is any question that most elected Democrats are afraid to take on entrenched powerful interests whether that's the foreign policy establishment or big business/transnational corporations.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2023, 01:37:05 PM »

I feel like it's only been in the past few months where I've noticed a lot of proposed projects being moved forwards thanks to the Infrastructure money - here in NYC for instance it was only announced like 2 months ago funding for Second Avenue Subway and Gateway Tunnel.

There was def a lag between the money being passed and actually giving out grants for big projects. For most, I think it won't be until they start seeing physical construction they'll actually connect the dots back to the infrastructure bill, but unfortunately for Biden, there's always a lag between getting money and actually starting construction.

Speaking of which, anyone heard Pete Buttigieg's name lately?
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2024, 02:27:09 PM »

I wonder how well the Biden Administration is spreading the message because a lot of people don't seem to be aware of all these reforms he's made.

I think one thing is to not simply tell inform the American people generally but to inform 'stakeholders.'  So, when a constituent goes to their (Democratic) U.S Representative, State Representative, mayor, city councilor... complaining about a non-compete agreement for instance, for their representative to know that Biden has introduced reforms on non compete agreements.

And, the same thing for employment lawyers and maybe even employment counsellors (I'm not sure what the rules are for politicians contacting civil servants), make sure that the people who should be informed of reforms are informed so that they can inform the public.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies