How many counties will Elizabeth Warren lose?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:24:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How many counties will Elizabeth Warren lose?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How many counties will chronic underperformer Elizabeth Warren lose in her 2024 re-election bid next year?

4+

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: How many counties will Elizabeth Warren lose?  (Read 775 times)
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 17, 2023, 01:15:41 PM »

My guess is 3: Bristol, Plymouth, and Worcester. I think at this point she barely wins Essex and Barnstable. The rest are Safe D.

Warren really is a bad fit for a lot of Massachusetts.
JMT

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023, 07:03:32 PM »

I’m going to stick with one for now (Plymouth), since she lost that county in 2018 (a good year for Democrats) against a weak opponent, so I don’t imagine her winning it now. But given it’ll be a presidential year, I don’t think other counties will flip, except for maybe Worcester.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2023, 07:50:42 PM »

Probably among the most likely Senate races in the Country for a better Dem performance than 2018. I think she sweeps every county.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2023, 08:41:56 PM »

I’m going to stick with one for now (Plymouth), since she lost that county in 2018 (a good year for Democrats) against a weak opponent, so I don’t imagine her winning it now. But given it’ll be a presidential year, I don’t think other counties will flip, except for maybe Worcester.

Diehl was from Plymouth, though.
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2023, 10:34:59 PM »

I will go with 1, which is still way more than she should be losing
JMT

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2023, 09:45:42 AM »

Oh true, I didn’t think of that. That’s a good point.

Regardless, the fact that Elizabeth Warren may lose any counties at all goes to show that she isn’t a great candidate. In my opinion, the only reason she’s in this seat is because she was the only Democrat willing to step up and challenge Scott Brown (which don’t get me wrong, I’m appreciative of that!), and Presidential turnout / MA being such a blue state carried her over the finish line. While Brown was popular at the time, in retrospect I think any semi-serious Democratic nominee would’ve defeated Brown in 2012.

Warren will definitely win again in 2024, because she’s a Democrat in Massachusetts. But, she’ll underperform the top of the ticket. If someone stepped up to challenge her in a primary, I genuinely think it would be a competitive race, she’s just not that well liked here. But, the Democratic establishment is firmly behind her and I don’t expect anyone significant will run, so she’ll be the nominee and partisanship will allow her to win the general pretty comfortably.
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2023, 10:08:37 AM »

Regardless, the fact that Elizabeth Warren may lose any counties at all goes to show that she isn’t a great candidate. In my opinion, the only reason she’s in this seat is because she was the only Democrat willing to step up and challenge Scott Brown (which don’t get me wrong, I’m appreciative of that!), and Presidential turnout / MA being such a blue state carried her over the finish line. While Brown was popular at the time, in retrospect I think any semi-serious Democratic nominee would’ve defeated Brown in 2012.

Warren will definitely win again in 2024, because she’s a Democrat in Massachusetts. But, she’ll underperform the top of the ticket. If someone stepped up to challenge her in a primary, I genuinely think it would be a competitive race, she’s just not that well liked here. But, the Democratic establishment is firmly behind her and I don’t expect anyone significant will run, so she’ll be the nominee and partisanship will allow her to win the general pretty comfortably.

She was not the only candidate willing to take on Brown, National Dems saw her as a rising star and worked to clear the field for her. (They were worried of a contested primary)

I unfortunately mostly agree with your thoughts on Brown's chances in 2012 regardless of opponent. (I worked for Brown's 2012 campaign, Partisanship and presidential turnout killed us)
JMT

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2023, 12:08:50 PM »

She was not the only candidate willing to take on Brown, National Dems saw her as a rising star and worked to clear the field for her. (They were worried of a contested primary)

I unfortunately mostly agree with your thoughts on Brown's chances in 2012 regardless of opponent. (I worked for Brown's 2012 campaign, Partisanship and presidential turnout killed us)

Yeah that’s a good point, a few local politicians/political figures initially declared runs (Tom Conroy, Setti Warren, Alan Khazei, Bob Massie), but I guess I was more so referring to some of the bigger players that decided to sit the race out (e.g., anyone in the Congressional delegation, Vicki Kennedy, Deval Patrick, statewide officeholders etc).

And yes, I think Brown likely would’ve lost in 2012 regardless of opponent. On a related note, I think Brown could’ve likely won the Special Election to replace John Kerry in 2013, and probably would’ve defeated Charlie Baker in the primary / Martha Coakley in the general if he had instead chosen to run for Governor in 2014. It was definitely a bizarre choice to move to NH to run for Senate there. Sure, NH is better for Republicans than MA, but Brown had some pretty obvious next political moves available in MA.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2023, 07:18:54 PM »

Gonna say 1 but 2 wouldn't surprise me. She will underperform
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2023, 04:20:21 AM »

Zero.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2023, 08:49:02 AM »

It depends. If the GOP nominee is Antonellis, Ayyadurai, or the other nobodies, then Warren wins all counties. If Polito gets in the race and is nominated, then I could see her winning two counties, Worcester and Plymouth.

But I will assume that Polito won't run, so I voted 0 in the poll.
JMT

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2023, 09:24:30 AM »

It depends. If the GOP nominee is Antonellis, Ayyadurai, or the other nobodies, then Warren wins all counties. If Polito gets in the race and is nominated, then I could see her winning two counties, Worcester and Plymouth.

Yeah I don’t think Polito runs for Senate. I wouldn’t be surprised if Polito runs for Governor in 2026 (or if Maura Healey is still really popular then, maybe she waits till a later, open Governor’s race), but I don’t see her trying to go to Washington.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2023, 10:01:48 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2023, 11:51:57 AM by MarkD »

Yeah I don’t think Polito runs for Senate. I wouldn’t be surprised if Polito runs for Governor in 2026 (or if Maura Healey is still really popular then, maybe she waits till a later, open Governor’s race), but I don’t see her trying to go to Washington.

I'll take your word for it that she would not want to BE in Washington D.C., serving on Capitol Hill. But nonetheless, maybe she would set herself up to be a sacrificial lamb to Warren next year, knowing she can't beat Warren, but wanting to keep her name out there and preparing for a gubernatorial run two years later.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies