“Civil War” movie trailer about Second American Civil War
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:54:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  “Civil War” movie trailer about Second American Civil War
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: “Civil War” movie trailer about Second American Civil War  (Read 1407 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 16, 2023, 06:22:26 AM »

I wonder how this movie is going to do considering it might be a little TOO topical these days.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2023, 02:14:45 AM »

Interesting.
A bit over the top, but it might to decently well when released.
I may see it.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2023, 06:32:44 PM »

One thing I'll agree with Ramaswamy on is that we are indeed in a "cold cultural civil war."
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 07:35:24 PM »

Considering that the federal government is fighting California and Texas in the movie I suppose this is an attempt to be as politically neutral as possible (unless Texas turned blue in that near-future scenario).
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2023, 07:46:44 PM »

This is apparently the map of aligned states in this civil war story:

That about says it all imo
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2023, 09:13:58 PM »

I definitely want to see this.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2023, 09:34:38 PM »

Interesting.
A bit over the top, but it might to decently well when released.
I may see it.

"Over-the-top" basically describes every single Hollywood film ever released after 1989.

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2023, 01:09:11 PM »

"Florida Alliance" might be as bad as the Axis.

But for real, some of those "loyalist states" and "western forces" states would not be working together in reality.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2023, 08:51:04 PM »

I think this map is quite reassuring, actually. It implies it’s some level of unique world building created to come up with whatever weird scenario this is, rather than some lazy attempt at adapting the current political climate to some sort of civil war story. Still, the clean focus on state lines seems a little weird.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2023, 03:35:12 AM »

I think my eyes just rolled out of my head
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2023, 04:26:58 AM »

Are we really doing this again.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2023, 04:46:28 AM »

was there another bid budget Hollywood modern American Civil War movie that I missed?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2023, 08:03:11 AM »

I wonder how this movie is going to do considering it might be a little TOO topical these days.
Fears of a 2nd civil war are overblown but an American version of the “Years of Lead” is under appreciated
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2023, 09:51:27 AM »

Wow, seems surprisingly realistic, I just don’t know how to explain “Western Forces” motive for separating.

Florida Alliance goes without saying - extremely symbolic that Florida represents it considering all the current political discourse about Florida.

California and Texas are big States that would be the closest that could maybe feel a separate individual identity of their own, getting independent and becoming countries of their own.

I am curious for the movie explanation of the background of “Western Forces” though. What do all these States have in common that would trigger them to unite in this fictional scenario?
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2023, 09:55:00 AM »

Considering that the federal government is fighting California and Texas in the movie I suppose this is an attempt to be as politically neutral as possible (unless Texas turned blue in that near-future scenario).

Yeah it sounds like they just included California in order to not be too on the nose and accused of political prejudice or bias.

Could maybe even be the same reasoning behind “Western Forces”.

Wagner Moura is also apparently the lead star for this film? Sign me the hell in.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2023, 06:29:00 PM »

"Florida Alliance" might be as bad as the Axis.

But for real, some of those "loyalist states" and "western forces" states would not be working together in reality.

It's quite possible that the Western Forces+TX+CA represent some form of regime headed by the Dear Leader Elon Musk, considering that Twitter/X and SpaceX are headquarted in California and Tesla is headquartered in Texas.

There also seems to have been some sort of falling out between him and DeSantis, hence the Florida Alliance.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2023, 06:57:01 PM »

Honestly, the TV show Jericho seemed to have a more realistic near-future civil war scenario back in the 2000s than this boondoggle:

In the wake of devastating nuclear attacks there is no consensus who the legitimate successor entity to the federal government is, with the country eventually splitting into an Eastern and a Western half, with Texas deciding to stay neutral (and hence remaining independent) for the time being.

The Western half is eventually revealed to have been evil all along, an attempt to form an authoritarian neo-con corporatocracy in the mold of Dick Cheney's wet dreams. And the main reason why there is a civil war in the first place is because the military-industrial conspiracy had actually been less successful in subuing the entire nation in a single stroke than orginally anticipated by the coup leaders. Which is also why Texas quickly decides to side with East as soon all of this becomes public.

It was also a very mid-2000ish scenario, with 9/11 as well as the then-recent Halliburton and Blackwater scandals clearly serving as inspiration.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2023, 07:04:41 PM »

That map suggests some sort of cringe #BothSides nonsense
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2023, 06:21:16 AM »

A24 is probably the best movie studio out there at the moment (in the US at least). They produced Moonlight and several other hits, being quite popular. Director Garland also has directed Ex Machina and Annihilation before. And written the scenario for those movies as well as 28 Days Later, Sunshine and Never Let Me Go.

However... this might backfire a bit, given it's going to be quite controversial on release. It's not very subtle, but quite obvious what the hidden message will be.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2023, 05:34:56 PM »

A24 is probably the best movie studio out there at the moment (in the US at least). They produced Moonlight and several other hits, being quite popular. Director Garland also has directed Ex Machina and Annihilation before. And written the scenario for those movies as well as 28 Days Later, Sunshine and Never Let Me Go.

However... this might backfire a bit, given it's going to be quite controversial on release. It's not very subtle, but quite obvious what the hidden message will be.

What?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2023, 10:07:55 PM »

I don't really get how the Loyalists maintain their western states. The logistics are terrible (I don't think there is even a direct rail link between Arizona/Nevada), Hawaii/Alaska are cut off from the Loyalists with no Loyalist continental US coastline/ports on the Pacific, and depending who is who's enemy (are they all fighting each other or is the color shading accurate?), that could be one massive pocket from Nebraska/Kansas-west for the Loyalists, which is extremely vulnerable to being cut off from the east.

Even if you come up with some alt-reality political system that supports that map, there are still basic problems with sustaining the economic and military potential of these regions..
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2023, 10:56:36 PM »

How exactly are we occupied by the "Western Forces" but Wisconsin is Loyalist? And are the Western Forces left or right-wing?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2023, 03:28:31 AM »

Fears of a 2nd civil war are overblown but an American version of the “Years of Lead” is under appreciated
If there’s going to be mass civil unrest, it’s going to be a civil war. We already have “Years of Lead” with the massive gang violence problem across the country.

There’s really no possibility of an inter-bourgeois conflict in the United States like the American Civil War, any such possibility was openly dashed by the main realtor’s association when Trump tried to overthrow the US presidency. Any sort of opposition among small businessmen to the likes of Amazon, Apple, Microsoft, or Google has been proven as impossible because the shopkeepers hate their workers more than their existential threats. A worker’s uprising in the United States is practically a nonstarter unless the government loses a conventional war.

Mass political strife turning violent is impossible for the time being. Unless there’s war with china that goes south, I wouldn’t even put much thought into it.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2023, 05:10:07 AM »

What?

Allegory/metaphor of current polarisation in US political landscape
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2023, 10:58:08 PM »

I don't really get how the Loyalists maintain their western states. The logistics are terrible (I don't think there is even a direct rail link between Arizona/Nevada), Hawaii/Alaska are cut off from the Loyalists with no Loyalist continental US coastline/ports on the Pacific, and depending who is who's enemy (are they all fighting each other or is the color shading accurate?), that could be one massive pocket from Nebraska/Kansas-west for the Loyalists, which is extremely vulnerable to being cut off from the east.

Even if you come up with some alt-reality political system that supports that map, there are still basic problems with sustaining the economic and military potential of these regions..
Colorado really should be the cutoff yes, since they could run supply lines from Kansas/neb to Denver at least. AZ/NV make zero sense.  I dont have a problem with Alaska and Hawaii since that could just be from the pacific fleet forces in hawaii staying loyalist, Alaska's large military installations and isolation would also work in favor of a loyalist faction holding strong.  In theory a DC led government has more international legitimacy as well. 
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies