Would you sacrifice your child like Abraham intended to?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:58:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Would you sacrifice your child like Abraham intended to?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: ?
Yes (Christian)

Yes (Muslim)

Yes (Jewish)

Yes (other religion)

No (Christian)

No (Muslim)

No (Jewish)

No (other religion)

Not religious

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Would you sacrifice your child like Abraham intended to?  (Read 3386 times)
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 15, 2023, 12:59:56 PM »

If God commanded you to sacrifice your child, would you do it? If you’re childless and feel you can’t properly answer the question because of that, pretend like God asked you to sacrifice whoever is dearest to you.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2023, 01:59:02 PM »

What a horrible idea. I will be the first to admit, that there are parts of the Bible that are ok.
There are also horrible things in the Bible.
In the story of Abraham, God later stops Abraham from killing his son, which makes the story seem ok, perhaps, to those who take the Bible seriously. Still, letting Abraham think that he will have to kill his son, because God wants him to, is pretty disgusting.

More people need to speak out against the Bible, although doing so isn't always easy, and will get you criticized by most Christians who take their religion seriously.

How can Christians defend their faith without doing a lot of cherry-picking?

I realize that many Christians consider themselves religious liberals, but what criterion is there to say what is true and what is not true in the Bible?

Traditionally, it was heresy to reject any parts of the Bible, now it is happening more and more
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2023, 10:59:20 PM »

Not in that specific context, but in a Donner Party situation, I  don't know anymore.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2024, 03:43:58 PM »

Abraham's god clearly forbade child sacrifice forever when he did that example.

I am never going to kill any son for anything but for mercy, and even then I swore off children when I was very young because I would never let them or I suffer in this world.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 02:53:12 PM »

If it was truly clear that it was God I was hearing from and not Satan or my own thoughts, Yes.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2024, 10:21:57 PM »

No the cave man whom were the Jews believed in self sacrifice to the Gods it's a different day and age now
Georg Ebner
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2024, 11:51:34 PM »

At Alpha: yes, at Omega: no.

The real skándalon was, that HE had promised for this child the brightest future and then a rude selfContraDiction.
So, can GOD contradict HIMself? For Abraham (and Islam, which went back to this stage) obviously: Yes, HE can.
Since the tautoLogy towards MOSE (Ex.3,14) we Jews&Christians can believe, what the others must believe in daily life, but have no reason for: That the order in - but not from - this tohuwabohu is in some way senseful. Since CHRIST we even know, that HE is well-minded (cf. 1.John1,5;4,8). But the way of occidental pseudo/ex-Christian philoSophers since Scholasticism to take for "natural" and "normal", "rational" and "real", what is only graciously granted to us by HIM*, has ended in unprecedented cataStrophies: modern massMurders (Jews, bourgeoisie, unBorn, elderly); people sacrificing any dignity, beauty, character just for some money; areas like PRC or Africa on the rise, where this reLict of JudaeoChristian tradition does not even exist as a "humanist" farce.

*No preChristian thinker had ever taught of "human rights" or "human dignity" - a Syrian ApoLogete was the first one to use these termini, but they are only a parcel - as the Latin Mass says: "Deus, qui humánae substántiae dignitátem mirabiliter condidisti, et mirabilius reformásti"
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2024, 12:33:13 AM »

If it was clear that it was God speaking to me and it was clear he wanted me to do it, Yes for certain.
Otherwise No.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2024, 03:04:32 AM »

This seems like one of the situations where you tell God to f**k off.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2024, 03:27:48 AM »

Just think, Abrahamic religions have 4.2 billion people.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2024, 12:10:26 PM »

Lol, people actually voted yes. I sincerely hope none of you ever develop schizophrenia— who knows what “God” might tell you to do if that happens.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2024, 12:37:02 PM »

Lol, people actually voted yes. I sincerely hope none of you ever develop schizophrenia— who knows what “God” might tell you to do if that happens.
I agree 100%. I am glad someone finally said this.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2024, 05:35:14 AM »

Why not amend the US Constitution?

No person shall have an abortion for any reason (unless God tells you to)

Sarcasm anyone?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2024, 12:18:12 PM »

If it was clear that it was God speaking to me and it was clear he wanted me to do it, Yes for certain.
Otherwise No.

If it was truly clear that it was God I was hearing from and not Satan or my own thoughts, Yes.

I hope the two of you never have children.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2024, 01:23:23 PM »

This seems like one of the situations where you tell God to f**k off.

That might not work if God is all-powerful.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2024, 02:16:51 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2024, 07:03:12 PM by President Pro Tem Punxsutawney Phil »

Otherwise No.

I am in fact religious. I do believe in an all seeing all knowing God. I deeply respect that many will think differently, unlike you. And I hope you don't raise children sharing the same bigotry towards profound religiosity than you do. Have a nice day, I'm sorry to say I know you.
EDIT: Don't worry, the religiously devout will easily outbreed the likes of you. It's okay.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2024, 02:27:58 PM »

I don't know how one could ever be certain that God and not Satan is speaking to them.
Mechavada
The News

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2024, 03:20:57 PM »

No.  I'd only do it if God guaranteed me a dozen virgins and free land Tongue.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2024, 04:34:38 PM »

Otherwise No.

I am in fact religious. I do believe in an all seeing all knowing God. I deeply respect that many will think differently, unlike you. And I hope you don't raise children sharing the same bigotry towards profound religiosity than you do. Have a nice day, I'm sorry to say I know you.

Well yes, we're sufficiently bigoted against religious practice to say with reasonable certainty that committing child sacrifice is wrong. If that makes me a snooty liberal antitheist in your eyes, then so be it.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2024, 04:35:33 PM »

Also, pretty funny that we got three Christian votes for "yes." I thought abortion was wrong because it was "killing kids," guys-- or is that not the case anymore?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2024, 08:28:29 PM »

EDIT: Don't worry, the religiously devout will easily outbreed the likes of you. It's okay.

You got me. I admit that I have zero respect people who are willing to murder their own children because the voices in their heads told them to do so.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2024, 09:49:17 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2024, 09:56:03 PM by President Pro Tem Punxsutawney Phil »

You got me. I admit that I have zero respect people who are willing to murder their own children because the voices in their heads told them to do so.
"Voices in their heads" Really telling on yourself here.
First, I added so many caveats and you jump to the most uncharitable interpretation possible. I just didn't give a complete total No, because of my beliefs around God. God is beyond our comprehension and it's just arrogant for us to play God or claim to know precisely literally everything about God and what he does. Your casual disrespect for religion is just hilarious. I didn't realize we had an r/athiest regular. And unlike Dule, he's actually unlikeable.
I don't go out of my way to tailor my religious beliefs to please athiests. You can be athiest or a non-athiest. I respect that. What I won't respect is your bigotry.
What a joke.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2024, 09:55:44 PM »

"Voices in their heads"
First, I added so many caveats and you jump to the most uncharitable interpretation possible. I just didn't give a complete total No, because of my beliefs around God. God is beyond our comprehension and it's just arrogant for us to play God or claim to know precisely literally everything about God and what he does. Your casual disrespect for religion is just hilarious. I didn't realize we had an r/athiest regular. And unlike Dule, he's actually unlikeable.
I don't go out of my way to tailor my religious beliefs to please athiests. You can be athiest or a non-athiest. I respect that. What I won't respect is your bigotry.
What a joke.

If your God commands you to murder your own child, your God is evil. If you obey him, you are too.

You can be the most devoutly religious person on the planet, and I wouldn't care. Just don't kill your own children. I don't think that's an unreasonable thing to ask!
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2024, 10:05:08 PM »

"Voices in their heads"
What a joke.

If your God commands you to murder your own child, your God is evil. If you obey him, you are too.

You can be the most devoutly religious person on the planet, and I wouldn't care. Just don't kill your own children. I don't think that's an unreasonable thing to ask!
My post expressed pretty implicit skepticism God would ever demand this of me. After all, this precise sort of scenario is not something I recall happening anytime since Abraham (ah) was asked to do it, as far as I'm aware.
God sits above humanity. Humanity is but a mere facet of his creation. I'm seeking to avoid arrogance here. And placing us on the level of God or applying human morality to God is ludicrous.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2024, 10:11:59 PM »

My post expressed pretty implicit skepticism God would ever demand this of me. After all, this precise sort of scenario is not something I recall happening anytime since Abraham (ah) was asked to do it, as far as I'm aware.
God sits above humanity. Humanity is but a mere facet of his creation. I'm seeking to avoid arrogance here. And placing us on the level of God or applying human morality to God is ludicrous.

"God would never ask me to do this, but if I did, I would have to listen."

The notion that God is infallible and his wisdom is to never be questioned, as it is beyond our understanding, is, at best, a lazy cop-out answer crafted to avoid having to do any critical thinking about the foundations of your moral belief system.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies