Did it blow your mind when you discovere the high concentration of white Democrats in Birmingham,AL?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 01:19:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Did it blow your mind when you discovere the high concentration of white Democrats in Birmingham,AL?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Did it blow your mind when you discovered the high concentration of white Democrats in Birmingham,AL?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Did it blow your mind when you discovere the high concentration of white Democrats in Birmingham,AL?  (Read 466 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 14, 2023, 07:54:09 PM »

Yes, because it was pre-Furnace Fest revival.

I couldn't believe it. I was like "HOLY SH!T OBAMA WON WHITE MAJORITY PRECINCTS IN ALABAMA!"
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 08:23:01 PM »

No, all major cities in the U.S. are this way
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2023, 06:16:36 PM »

You need to get out more.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2023, 06:23:58 PM »

I mean Alabama was part of The Solid South, and plenty of them are still alive...so no?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2023, 06:31:54 PM »

Who is the most famous white Democrat in the city’s history…Bull Connor maybe? The politics of Birmingham, Alabama used to be controlled by all white Democrats, all the time…for several decades.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2023, 06:34:17 PM »

Who is the most famous white Democrat in the city’s history…Bull Connor maybe? The politics of Birmingham, Alabama used to be controlled by all white Democrats, all the time…for several decades.
Doug Jones.

I've spent more time in Birmingham than almost any other poster here!
Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2023, 08:50:21 PM »

No, just like it didn't blow my mind when I discovered the high concentration of white Liberal/NDP voters in Edmonton.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2023, 10:45:22 PM »

No, just like it didn't blow my mind when I discovered the high concentration of white Liberal/NDP voters in Edmonton.
That's not really comparable. That's more like Salt Lake City or somewhere like Bozeman, Montana.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2023, 12:39:13 PM »

Birmingham is an industrial city and probably has more union members than the newer Southern Metro areas.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2023, 12:58:48 PM »

Imagine asking this question at really any point in the past century minus maybe 2010-2017.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2023, 06:20:56 PM »

I couldn't believe it. I was like "HOLY SH!T OBAMA WON WHITE MAJORITY PRECINCTS IN ALABAMA!"

I'd have to look at the precinct data your reviewing, but let's be very careful about what we discussed in terms of white majority. A 70/30 White versus African-American Precinct could easily have brought in about 27% of the precinct vote net for Obama, and then carrying just over a third of white voters giving him a majority.

Did he win all white majority precincts in the city?
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2023, 06:28:11 PM »

I'd have to look at the precinct data your reviewing, but let's be very careful about what we discussed in terms of white majority. A 70/30 White versus African-American Precinct could easily have brought in about 27% of the precinct vote net for Obama, and then carrying just over a third of white voters giving him a majority.

It's not just marginal cases like that. For instance, I found a precinct in Birmingham that's 89.7% white (only 4.1% black) and went 70.1% for Biden.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2023, 10:25:05 PM »

Birmingham is one of those cities that has bizarre and hideous municipal boundaries, so Biden (and Obama I presume) did lose an area northwest of most of the city and the tiny thin strip that connects that connects it, there's another southeast of it that's similar, however looking at block data for each it appears virtually unpopulated so almost all of these votes in these precincts were cast outside of the city limits.

In terms of Trump-won precincts that are actually mostly within Birmingham, there's one on the southwest side that covers an area that appears to be called "Wheeling Crossroad", but block data shows that the vast majority of the population of this precinct actually lives in the suburb of Hoover in a neighborhood called Ross Bridge. And Biden still got 44.9% in this precinct which is only 25.1% black and over 61% white. There's also one of the eastern edge of the city that Trump won by two votes, but most of the population lives in the municipal boundaries of Irondale.

The precinct that Furnace Fest takes place in (which is right by the one Aurelius mentioned above) is 70.4% white, 20.4% black and voted 72.5% for Biden, meaning Biden clearly won a solid majority of the white vote there and this would surprise absolutely no one who has been there (even without Furnace Fest going on, it's a standard trendy urban neighborhood full of craft breweries, boutique ice cream shops, music venues [that host the Furnace Fest pre and after parties] and the like.)

Biden also won Irondale outright and the suburb of Homewood, Irondale was 54.3% for Biden being 57.7% white and 29.2% black and Homewood was 53.6% for Biden being 68.4% white and 22.4% black. So yes Trump definitely won the white vote in those places and fairly solidly, but not solid at all by Alabama standards. And in Birmingham Biden won the white vote outright.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2023, 10:18:34 PM »

Birmingham is one of those cities that has bizarre and hideous municipal boundaries, so Biden (and Obama I presume) did lose an area northwest of most of the city and the tiny thin strip that connects that connects it, there's another southeast of it that's similar, however looking at block data for each it appears virtually unpopulated so almost all of these votes in these precincts were cast outside of the city limits.

In terms of Trump-won precincts that are actually mostly within Birmingham, there's one on the southwest side that covers an area that appears to be called "Wheeling Crossroad", but block data shows that the vast majority of the population of this precinct actually lives in the suburb of Hoover in a neighborhood called Ross Bridge. And Biden still got 44.9% in this precinct which is only 25.1% black and over 61% white. There's also one of the eastern edge of the city that Trump won by two votes, but most of the population lives in the municipal boundaries of Irondale.

The precinct that Furnace Fest takes place in (which is right by the one Aurelius mentioned above) is 70.4% white, 20.4% black and voted 72.5% for Biden, meaning Biden clearly won a solid majority of the white vote there and this would surprise absolutely no one who has been there (even without Furnace Fest going on, it's a standard trendy urban neighborhood full of craft breweries, boutique ice cream shops, music venues [that host the Furnace Fest pre and after parties] and the like.)

Biden also won Irondale outright and the suburb of Homewood, Irondale was 54.3% for Biden being 57.7% white and 29.2% black and Homewood was 53.6% for Biden being 68.4% white and 22.4% black. So yes Trump definitely won the white vote in those places and fairly solidly, but not solid at all by Alabama standards. And in Birmingham Biden won the white vote outright.

Genuinely interesting. Though it doesn't sound like Biden won the white vote in Irondale given those numbers.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2023, 01:34:57 PM »

Genuinely 28.7interesting. Though it doesn't sound like Biden won the white vote in Irondale given those numbers.

Also worth noting that Birmingham has a boomburg in Hoover which was mentioned above. Hoover has over 90k population which is almost half of Birmingham's, and is the 6th largest city in Alabama. Hoover did vote for Trump and fairly solidly at Biden 39.4-Trump 58.5. However Hoover is just over 70% white in VAP and only 16.7% black, (of course it also has a notable Hispanic and Asian population, so does Birmingham too but not as high, Hoover is over 6% Asian), but it's probably ~30% of the white vote for Biden. Hardly negligible. The exit poll says Biden won 21% of the white vote in Alabama, but with that number being under 10% in a lot of rural areas, there also needs to be fairly strong areas to bring the number up.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2023, 04:22:23 PM »

Not at all.  Latte libruls a plenty there.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies