The return of liberal Zionism?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 11:02:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The return of liberal Zionism?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The return of liberal Zionism?  (Read 817 times)
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 13, 2023, 12:09:08 PM »

https://www.vox.com/23954323/return-of-liberal-zionism-israel

“The massacre by Hamas on October 7 and subsequent war in Gaza has created the conditions for something surprising: a resurrection of the liberal Zionist political tradition.

Liberal Zionism is the insistence that there is no necessary contradiction between Israel’s dual identity as a Jewish and democratic state: that Israel can be a national home and refuge for the Jewish people while also embodying universal democratic principles of human rights and equality. Threading this needle, for liberal Zionists, means Israel must adopt a more liberal set of policies — most importantly, a two-state peace agreement with the Palestinians that allows both peoples to live with security and dignity.”
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2023, 12:16:39 PM »

I sure f**king hope so. I guess we'll find out in the next elections.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2023, 12:26:03 PM »

We're definitely seeing a lot of it in the diaspora. A good example of this is musician and activist Mikel Jollett, who was best known as a staunch progressive but has been distinctly blue-and-white-pilled since 10/7.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2023, 06:03:33 PM »

I sure f**king hope so. I guess we'll find out in the next elections.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2023, 06:06:33 PM »

I fully expect Israel to elect a center-right government at best once Netanyahu's gone.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2023, 11:20:21 PM »

Premature.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2023, 12:47:50 AM »

No.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2023, 01:06:21 AM »

Sure, they'll do better than the 4 seats that left of center non Arab parties got last time, but that would likely still only be a tiny fraction of the 120 seats.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2023, 06:21:25 AM »

Sure, they'll do better than the 4 seats that left of center non Arab parties got last time, but that would likely still only be a tiny fraction of the 120 seats.

Yes, but even that is something.

A "return" doesn't mean such people sweep back to power immediately after all, far from it - but it might just make Israel's political climate slightly less toxic if such things become sayable again.
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2023, 08:26:22 PM »

liberal zionism is extremely reasonable
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2023, 09:24:43 PM »

I must admit I don’t get why Israel or Jews worldwide need Zionism anymore, Zionism was about establishing movement among the Jewish diaspora to create a Jewish homeland, well they have succeed. What do they need Zionism for anymore?
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2023, 09:51:52 PM »

What about labour zionism?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2023, 10:36:03 AM »

I must admit I don’t get why Israel or Jews worldwide need Zionism anymore, Zionism was about establishing movement among the Jewish diaspora to create a Jewish homeland, well they have succeed. What do they need Zionism for anymore?

They would doubtless reply that it is about continued support for that homeland?
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2023, 10:15:01 PM »

They would doubtless reply that it is about continued support for that homeland?

You don’t need some kind of ideology for that, I don’t need a specific ideology to support my homeland and I don’t need a specific ideology to support other countries.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2023, 12:47:43 AM »

Or expanding its boundaries, as has de facto happened to an extent.
satsuma
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -2.61

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2023, 05:34:44 AM »

You don’t need some kind of ideology for that, I don’t need a specific ideology to support my homeland and I don’t need a specific ideology to support other countries.

The difference between an "Israeli patriot" and a "Zionist" would be hair-splitting.

https://www.vox.com/23954323/return-of-liberal-zionism-israel

“The massacre by Hamas on October 7 and subsequent war in Gaza has created the conditions for something surprising: a resurrection of the liberal Zionist political tradition.

Liberal Zionism is the insistence that there is no necessary contradiction between Israel’s dual identity as a Jewish and democratic state: that Israel can be a national home and refuge for the Jewish people while also embodying universal democratic principles of human rights and equality. Threading this needle, for liberal Zionists, means Israel must adopt a more liberal set of policies — most importantly, a two-state peace agreement with the Palestinians that allows both peoples to live with security and dignity.”

There is a contradiction. The borders of Israel are a gerrymander and its policies exist to preserve a solid Jewish majority at the expense of democracy, human rights, and equality. Naturally, I consider that to be sane and normal. If only we all had a government that loved us so much.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2023, 12:27:41 PM »

I would say expanding its boundaries is explicitly opposed to "liberal zionism", unless it's in service of a binational state (which may in practice also not be liberal zionism, given the Jewish character of the state would not be guaranteed).
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2023, 07:14:30 PM »

I would say expanding its boundaries is explicitly opposed to "liberal zionism", unless it's in service of a binational state (which may in practice also not be liberal zionism, given the Jewish character of the state would not be guaranteed).

Good points, yeah.
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2023, 10:18:25 AM »

That's because in the west we don't tend to have large political movements opposing the very existence of our countries. The word "Zionism" basically just means "supporting the existence of Israel"; if everyone agreed with that then there would be no need for the word, but not everyone does agree.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies