the massachusetts 'universal coverage myth
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:36:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  the massachusetts 'universal coverage myth
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: the massachusetts 'universal coverage myth  (Read 932 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2007, 12:19:11 PM »

the massachusetts health care law set to take effect on july 1 does not provide universal coverage (contrary to what mitt romney claims).  it also doesnt do a darn thing to reign in health care costs (cant offend the pharmaceutical companies, you know).

here is a good article illustrating one of the law's big gaps.

http://www.boston.com/yourlife/health/other/articles/2007/05/19/care_plan_gap_seen_for_many_workers/
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 12:31:56 PM »

It's the nature of government to not work-or if it does, not work well.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 12:55:42 PM »

the massachusetts health care law set to take effect on july 1 does not provide universal coverage (contrary to what mitt romney claims).  it also doesnt do a darn thing to reign in health care costs (cant offend the pharmaceutical companies, you know).

here is a good article illustrating one of the law's big gaps.

http://www.boston.com/yourlife/health/other/articles/2007/05/19/care_plan_gap_seen_for_many_workers/

Actually, I find that relieving.  My initial impression, based on how it is being reported, is that the law requires everyone to have health insurance, whether they buy it or have the government buy it for them.  That is how it's being reported.  But here you have a case in which, according to linked story, "...[O'Brien] is among the approximately 60,000 people who will be excluded from the state requirement to obtain insurance because coverage isn't affordable for them...  she will remain uninsured."  So it seems that you aren't really forced to buy insurance.

The reason I'm interested is because when I was a grad student at BU, it was policy, and maybe even state law, that all full-time students, graduate or undergraduate, were required to have insurance.  Now, when I was a full-time grad student at UT, the state provided us free insurance.  And, as I understand it, it was excellent insurance, equal to the coverage that Governor Ann Richards got is how the described it.  Of course, I never used the insurance, and from the get-go I'd rather have had the option to opt out of the plan and be given an extra fifty or whatever in my paycheck.  I had no use for the insurance, just like most of my fellow grad students.  The only drugs I ever wanted were the ones that the insurance wasn't going to pay for.  Backward-ass society we have, sometimes.  Anyway, when I found out that the BU policy (and maybe it was a statewide law) was that we had to buy insurance, I was disgusted.  So the first year I bit the bullet and used a credit card to pay the 600 dollar-a-year premium.  600 bucks that I'd much rather have kept in my pocket.  Admittedly, I did use that insurance once, when I got free anti-protozoan treatment from a clinic for a particularly embarassing condition I acquired from getting too friendly with a female student.  But honestly, even if I hadn't had the insurance, the free clinic at MGH would have supplied the antibiotic anyway.  And in any case I'd much rather have had that 600 bucks in my pocket than wasting it on health insurance.  The second year I wised up.  I realized that all they needed was a form which I signed which had a policy number and a name and address of an insurance company.  So rather than buy their insurance or try to buy insurance on my own, I simply made up a policy number and a name and an address.  I said something like policy #89645078 from the ABC insurance company of 123 Maple Avenue Secaucus, NJ.  The only thing I made sure of was that the zip code I used was a legit one from Secaucus, New Jersey.  Cost me nothing.  Satisfied the school's requirement.  Problem solved.

I'd do it again.  Most folks I knew bitched about it as well.  Except for a few weak or sick or hypochondriac grad students I knew, all agreed that they disliked the policy and would rather have had the option not to have insurance.  No state should be allowed to force this on anyone, imho, and whether you're taxing me and using the money for socialized medicine, or whether you're requiring me to buy insurance from my employer, it's the same thing.  It's an affront to personal liberty.  So when I read Romney's plan to "require all Commonwealth residents to have insurance" I was aflame with rage for the audacity of such authoritarian policy.  Now that I have read your article, it seems that Bay State residents are allowed to opt not to pay for any insurance and go without insurance.  Granted, O'Brien's take is that "not having insurance is a very, very bad problem."  While I disagree with that particular statement, I am glad that she has the right to refuse to let Dunkin Donuts take 98 dollars a month out of her check.

Good news, indeed. 

I'm still not entirely clear on the whole mess, though.  The article which states that Ms. O'Brien will not be insured, by her own choice, also goes on to say, "The state law requiring every adult to have coverage by July 1 is structured to encourage work-based insurance."

So are they forcing folks to have insurance or aren't they?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 12:56:10 PM »

Leave it to Massachusetts to have some big, complicated mess with massive gaps just so they can claim that they have "universal coverage."

But what am I talking about?  The only thing keeping Minnesota from universal coverage is a slick little newt elected governor with 46% of the vote who believes that companies that outsource labor and rich people deserve to save money than give health insurance to everyone.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 06:22:50 PM »

That seems to be a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. "I oppose universal health care in all forms. When someone tries to impose universal health care, I will neuter it. All universal health care imposed doesn't work, so universal health care can't work."
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 06:54:21 PM »

That seems to be a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. "I oppose universal health care in all forms. When someone tries to impose universal health care, I will neuter it. All universal health care imposed doesn't work, so universal health care can't work."

what's your point?

The reality of it is that universal coverages are not able to care for all their constituents, they cause long waiting lines, they drive good doctors to other countries, medical advances don't happen as quickly, and above all else taking in the form of taxation and redistributing as a good or service that serves the 'greater good' is fundamentally wrong unless you can absolutely prove to me that it cannot be done otherwise.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies