NJ-GOV 2025: Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:32:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NJ-GOV 2025: Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: NJ-GOV 2025: Megathread  (Read 3839 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2024, 02:26:02 AM »
« edited: April 04, 2024, 02:41:38 AM by Progressive Pessimist »

I personally like Fulop, however, I struggle to see Fulop winning the primary. He's locally popular in Jersey City, but Jersey City is very different from the rest of NJ, and infact I think a lot of NJ frowns in Jersey City because of it increasingly becoming a bedroom community for NYC which ultimately drives up prices.

There also might be an assumption that "big city" = crime and poverty. I know how the upper-class New Jersey suburbanite thinks, despite Fulop doing a lot to reinvigorate Jersey City.

In my case, I think I'll end up voting either for him or Sherrill if she runs. We'll see.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2024, 10:04:03 PM »

I personally like Fulop, however, I struggle to see Fulop winning the primary. He's locally popular in Jersey City, but Jersey City is very different from the rest of NJ, and infact I think a lot of NJ frowns in Jersey City because of it increasingly becoming a bedroom community for NYC which ultimately drives up prices.

There also might be an assumption that "big city" = crime and poverty. I know how the upper-class New Jersey suburbanite thinks, despite Fulop doing a lot to reinvigorate Jersey City.

In my case, I think I'll end up voting either for him or Sherrill if she runs. We'll see.

Yeah that too, but in NJ I feel like Newark is most notorious for that so maybe that penalty won't be as bad for Fulop.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2024, 01:33:14 AM »

Yeah that too, but in NJ I feel like Newark is most notorious for that so maybe that penalty won't be as bad for Fulop.

All the cities are poorly regarded fairly equally. Hell, the entire reason we have suburbs is due to attitudes like that.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2024, 10:37:50 AM »

All the cities are poorly regarded fairly equally. Hell, the entire reason we have suburbs is due to attitudes like that.

I don’t think this is true of Jersey City anymore. Fulop has been genuinely successful there and I know multiple cases of wealthier suburban couples who have actually retired to Jersey City so they could spend their free time in New York.

It’s still detached from the rest of the state, but Fulop can credibly run in the suburbs on his record there, and it’s not like suburbanites prefer to have dangerous, poor cities like Trenton, Camden, Plainfield, and Newark on their doorsteps.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2024, 06:15:13 PM »

I don't think this is the perception of Jersey City anymore. It's certainly true for Camden, Newark, and Trenton, but Hoboken and Jersey City are definitely seen as up-and-coming.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2024, 11:38:34 PM »

I don't think this is the perception of Jersey City anymore. It's certainly true for Camden, Newark, and Trenton, but Hoboken and Jersey City are definitely seen as up-and-coming.

Tbh I don't think Jersey City's been perceived as dangerous for a long time now. It's been growing since the '90s and I don't remember it being talked about like the other NJ big cities when I was growing up.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2024, 11:05:35 AM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2024, 01:55:11 PM »

LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2024, 03:58:14 PM »

I don't necessarily agree with that. Jersey City is a popular and trendy place now, especially for young people. My parents and their friends, who avoid Newark like the plague, are happy to meet up or spend time in the trendy parts of Jersey City.

I do think Fulop needs to really invest in his image and name recognition outside Northeast NJ if he wants to win the primary, though. Especially if Sherrill does run (who I think may be the frontrunner, but I wouldn't discount Sweeney swooping in)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2024, 05:27:40 PM »

I know little about Fulop but holy sh!t would Sweeney or Gottheimer be awful.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2024, 07:49:39 PM »

I think Gottheimer would be awful
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2024, 11:03:22 PM »

Gottheimer should 100% not be rewarded with higher office for being such an obnoxious jackass, yes.

Of course, this is really up to the people of New Jersey, but I'd hope that that'd be obvious to them.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2024, 02:11:12 AM »

Gottheimer should 100% not be rewarded with higher office for being such an obnoxious jackass, yes.

Of course, this is really up to the people of New Jersey, but I'd hope that that'd be obvious to them.

I've voted for him in every House race he has been in, but I will not cote for him if he runs in the Democratic gubernatorial primary. Rest assured.
UncleSam

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2024, 02:16:03 AM »

I've voted for him in every House race he has been in, but I will not cote for him if he runs in the Democratic gubernatorial primary. Rest assured.
Even if Biden wins and the NJ Governor race seems likely to be competitive?

Don’t get me wrong I get why if you’re a progressive you wouldn’t want to support him. Just curious what the boundaries are for (potentially) more  electable vs. more progressive.
Steve from Lambeth
Greece

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2024, 02:38:15 PM »

How am I only learning now that Edward Durr lost re-election?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2024, 02:58:08 PM »

I think Gottheimer would be awful

I guess from a governing standpoint, Gottheimer would be less popular here than even Cuomo was.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2024, 04:49:08 PM »

Even if Biden wins and the NJ Governor race seems likely to be competitive?

Don’t get me wrong I get why if you’re a progressive you wouldn’t want to support him. Just curious what the boundaries are for (potentially) more  electable vs. more progressive.

There no universe where we’d need Gottheimer of all people in order to win.  He’s not even the second most electable potential candidate.  Plus, he’s a DINO.  There’s no argument for any Democrat to support Gottheimer for Governor.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2024, 06:33:18 PM »

Ciattarelli is formally in now. I could see Durr or Spadea winning if it’s a three-cornered primary, but usually one or two conservative gadflies jump in and spoil each other.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2024, 06:49:43 PM »
« Edited: April 11, 2024, 07:11:10 PM by Ferguson97 »

Gottheimer is genuinely too conservative to win a statewide primary.

Sweeney's position on pensions is a complete nonstarter.

I'm supporting Fulop until I have a reason not to.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2024, 10:15:46 PM »

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2024, 09:26:35 AM »

She’s not my favorite, but I’d definitely prefer her to Gottheimer.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2024, 10:02:06 AM »

First real poll of the cycle, from a pro-Sherrill PAC:

March 7-12, 603 LVs, MOE 4%

Mikie Sherrill - 23%
Ras Baraka - 20%
Steve Sweeney - 12%
Steven Fulop - 9%
Josh Gottheimer - 5%

Biggest issues are abortion and education, followed by housing, climate change, and crime. Sherrill particularly leads among voters concerned about abortion. Other elements of the poll I thought too pushy or not relevant.

https://www.insidernj.com/guv-2025-poll-shows-sherrill-trouncing-other-dems/
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2024, 02:33:44 PM »

First real poll of the cycle, from a pro-Sherrill PAC:

March 7-12, 603 LVs, MOE 4%

Mikie Sherrill - 23%
Ras Baraka - 20%
Steve Sweeney - 12%
Steven Fulop - 9%
Josh Gottheimer - 5%

Biggest issues are abortion and education, followed by housing, climate change, and crime. Sherrill particularly leads among voters concerned about abortion. Other elements of the poll I thought too pushy or not relevant.

https://www.insidernj.com/guv-2025-poll-shows-sherrill-trouncing-other-dems/

Fulop & Gott with lower name-rec, too, so more room to grow (esp. for Fulop, already doing better than Gott on lower name-rec than him):

JMT

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2024, 08:33:05 AM »

Interesting that Sherrill and Gottheimer took the opposite approach from Abigail Spanberger in VA by running for reelection this year. If either wins the Governorship, they’ll have to resign from their House seat, which could be problematic if the House margin is close.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2024, 04:55:22 AM »

As goes one race, so apparently go all now:

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length